• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Quickie question about the train shop on Pendolinos

Status
Not open for further replies.

snuk

Hi all,

I have a quick question about the train shop on Pendolinos.

I have a VT leaflet here which describes the train shop as "self service" - does this mean there is a special system for paying like self service checkouts in supermarkets or is there a member of the train crew in there taking money?

Many thanks,

Steve.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

voyagerdude220

Established Member
Yeah.. that wording tricked me before the Pendolino's were introduced- I assume the term "self service" is used in relation to the fact that on traditional buffets, you simply asked the person serving you for the requested item from the buffet- as apposed to on Voyagers/ Super Voyagers/Pendolino's, where you take your item to the till point (or EPOS), where the CSA will scan it & take your money.

Death

Established Member
On the subject of on-board food/drink facilities:
I've always been curious as to why most TOCs havn't installed vending machines on their vehicles. Although there wouldn't be much point on units with shop/buffet facilities like Pendos, on other trains - Especially shorter interurban and suburban services which often don't have buffets or trolleys on board - This would be a very welcome addition, especially as there is rarely enough time at a station call to use the shops or machines on the platform! :?:

After all...If JR, NSB, DB and other countries can do it, there's stuff-all reason why we can't! :)

Geezertronic

Established Member
Vandalism and theft is a possible reason. At least in the shop, when it is not being used they can close shutters but with a vending machine, it is left vulnerable even with CCTV around.

djw1981

Established Member
Also vibration makes most vending machines shut down - think tamper proof

Status
Not open for further replies.