• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

R.I.P. Dame Vera Lynn

Status
Not open for further replies.

dgl

Established Member
Some very sad news, the forces sweetheart, Dame Vera Lynn, has passed away at the age of 103.

R.I.P Someone who boosted the morale of the British people during WWII and has been in our hearts ever since, condolences go out to her family.

BBC News said:
Dame Vera Lynn, the Forces' Sweetheart whose songs helped raise morale in World War Two, has died aged 103.

The singer's family confirmed she died on Thursday morning surrounded by her close relatives.

"The family are deeply saddened to announce the passing of one of Britain's best-loved entertainers at the age of 103," a statement said.

Dame Vera was best known for performing for the troops during World War Two in countries including India and Burma

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

MotCO

Established Member
Along with the Queen Mother, Dame Vera epitomised Britain during the war. They were an always present, morale-boosting image, trying to maintain normality during unprecented times (where have I heard that before?). Both had a good innings as well. RIP.

hexagon789

Veteran Member
Some very sad news, the forces sweetheart, Dame Vera Lynn, has passed away at the age of 103.

R.I.P Someone who boosted the morale of the British people during WWII and has been in our hearts ever since, condolences go out to her family.

Sad news indeed, but 103 is an incredible age really. At least she was as cheerful and morale-boosting a personality as ever right to the end and I think that's how people will remember her.

dgl

Established Member
Sad news indeed, but 103 is an incredible age really. At least she was as cheerful and morale-boosting a personality as ever right to the end and I think that's how people will remember her.

Quite, in our darkest hours she was there to give the country a lift making the population feel that despite all that is going on they will get there in the end and beat jerry..

As an addition here is an early version of "We'll Meet Again". With Dame Vera Lynn accompanied by Arthur Young on the Hammond Novachord (a very early polyphonic synthesizer).

Jamesrob637

Established Member
Great singer, great personality. We'll all miss her. And maybe we'll meet again some sunny day.

Status
Not open for further replies.