• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

RA on the West Coast

Status
Not open for further replies.

whhistle

On Moderation
I would be interested to hear people's thoughts no why the RA is used on the West Coast and ONLY the West Coast (IE, MML, GWML, ECML don't have it).

Someone has suggested because the MK2 coaches were not fitted with the bell/buzzer. This makes sense, but then when the Pendolinos came in, why did they carry on using it. Surely the Pendolinos have bell/buzzer?

Thanks

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Sir_Clagalot

ALL trains leaving Liverpool St are dispatched on the RA, including the 90s and Mk3s, though the Guard does tell platform staff when to give the RA.

John Webb

Established Member
I also believe that RA is used on the MML and Thsameslink at some locations, for example RA signs were fitted to new LED signals on at least the Up lines at St Albans City station as part of the platform lengthenings. I assume this is because of the bend on which the station lies. Although I am uncertain on rereading the OP if it's the signals within a train they are concerned with?

jopsuk

Veteran Member
I think the OP might be only asking with regards "intercity" trains

asylumxl

Established Member
I think the OP might be only asking with regards "intercity" trains

I believe Luton and Bedford both use CD/RA (Like St Albans City) and are both served by East Midlands Trains "intercity" services.

I think the reason will be to do with line of sight more than anything. Curvature of the platform, and in the case of St Albans, road bridge structures would prevent a guard being able to see the train in its entirety.

Clip

Established Member
ALL trains leaving Liverpool St are dispatched on the RA, including the 90s and Mk3s, though the Guard does tell platform staff when to give the RA.

Same as at Kings Cross too.Including the suburban

That's not the case at Kings Cross

East Coast guards are still required to give two to the driver on passenger trains. RA is only given for ECS movements.

GC and FHT are both self dispatch.

TEW

Established Member
RA is used at Marylebone that is intercity
The majority of trains out of Marylebone are DOO though, RA indicators being the normal procedure where fitted for DOO trains. Someone mentioned the reason for its use on the West Coast being because of the lack of driver guard communication on MK2s, but plenty of other routes had trains without driver guard communication, again they'd be dispatched using RA indicators where fitted but other trains wouldn't be. Tours which usually don't have driver guard communication are dispatched at most places using RA indicators even where most trains aren't dispatched that way.

Clip

Established Member
That's not the case at Kings Cross

East Coast guards are still required to give two to the driver on passenger trains. RA is only given for ECS movements.

GC and FHT are both self dispatch.

has that changed lately then as I used to monitor the despatch process and always saw GNER staff give them the RA and watch them off.

whhistle

On Moderation
Right Away.
A small sign that comes on to tell the train driver they are allowed to pull off.

Someone else at work suggested due to the curvature of the platform. But then does York, Bristol, Bath Spa, Newcastle have/use RA's?

Plus, at places like Rugby, Coventry, Birmingham International the RA is used on a straight platform (PL1). Not sure about New St where the platforms do have a bit of a curvature.

Brucey

Someone else at work suggested due to the curvature of the platform. But then does York, Bristol, Bath Spa, Newcastle have/use RA's?
Bristol Temple Meads has some buttons next to some platforms (possibly all) which allow a CD and RA to be given, however I've never seen it used.

Currently at BRI, they just use dispatch bats and the guard-driver buzzer. On longer trains, you'll typically have several dispatch staff positioned along the train.

Schnellzug

Established Member
Most big WR stations do, and I expect most big stations elsewhere. They're mainly used for loco hauled trains where they don't have a driver/guard bleeper, and they're also used for Suburban DOO trains in some areas at least, aren't they (they are, or used to be, used on the Southern & SouthEastern, I seem to remember)? I suppose it depends on the size of the station & how crowded the platform's likely to be, if the driver can't see clearly down the platform & so on.
--- old post above --- --- new post below ---
v

'CD' is 'Close Doors', I presume, is it, for DOO trains?

jopsuk

Veteran Member
on the West Anglia route several of the stations have the RA equipment as well as DOO monitors/trains with onboard DOO moniotrs/lookback at some stations. At quiet times there's a sign to let the driver know that RA isn't in use due to staffing.

has that changed lately then as I used to monitor the despatch process and always saw GNER staff give them the RA and watch them off.

In the 4 years I have worked into KGX, I have never known EC/NXEC use RA for anything other than ECS. I am fairly certain it has never been used for dispatch at KGX.

Clip

Established Member
In the 4 years I have worked into KGX, I have never known EC/NXEC use RA for anything other than ECS. I am fairly certain it has never been used for dispatch at KGX.

Its been a while since I worked there but they used to when I did , hence why I mentioned it.

83G/84D

Established Member
Bristol Temple Meads has some buttons next to some platforms (possibly all) which allow a CD and RA to be given, however I've never seen it used.

Currently at BRI, they just use dispatch bats and the guard-driver buzzer. On longer trains, you'll typically have several dispatch staff positioned along the train.

TRTS seems to be the main one used in the South West particularly at busier stations. RA is available in the up direction at Redruth for loco-hauled trains if/when the loco is in the tunnel.

jamieP

They use the RA at most manned stations on the FCC network including Peterborough.

Established Member
The RA is a fairly foolproof method of preventing despatch against a red.

Cowardly First Transpennine Express tried to push Network Rail into removing the RA at Manchester Airport as they were desperate to go self-dispatch at there and at Liverpool, saving hundreds of thousands of pounds, whilst seriously jeopardising safety, by sacking all the dispatch staff.

They failed. ;)

jamieP

Right Away.
A small sign that comes on to tell the train driver they are allowed to pull off.

Plus, at places like Rugby, Coventry, Birmingham International the RA is used on a straight platform (PL1). Not sure about New St where the platforms do have a bit of a curvature.

In use at Birmingham New Street as well.

whhistle

On Moderation
I didn't realise it was used so much around the network.
Maybe it's just the Midland Mainline that doesn't use it?

Status
Not open for further replies.