• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Race Across the World

Status
Not open for further replies.

Trainfan344

Established Member
I saw this programme on BBC 2 tonight, a Programme in which 5 teams have to race across the world to Singapore without using planes. They have the price of a flight from London to Singapore to begin with and can work to recouperate funds. The first episode shows the progress from the start line in London to the first check point in Delphi.

If you didn't see it and want to check it out, it's available on the BBC Iplayer here:
https://www.bbc.co.uk/iplayer/episode/m000319z/race-across-the-world-series-1-episode-1

I think it was nicely edited and I'm looking forwards to the next episode. Did anyone else watch this programme today?

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

GusB

Established Member
Associate Staff
Buses & Coaches
I'm currently watching the third episode on iPlayer, and I'm hooked. I thought it was clear from the outset who would win, but my initial predictions have been proved to be wrong!

Trainfan344

Established Member
We go into the penultimate episode this week. I feel this programme has done well to showcase the different types of travel as well as showing the various lesser travelled routes that most wouldn't even know exist.

The Ham

Established Member
I've watched it - shame I didn't find out about it in order to enter - it's about as made for me as a show could be!

It is definitely a good concept for a program.

If I'd entered chances are I'd have not gone across the Caspian Sea, so may well have been 2 days ahead of everyone else due to them being storm bound for 3 days. Although there's a chance, with no storm I'd have been a day behind (although maybe slightly less depending on when I'd left the checkpoint).

433N

I was talking to a Singaporean friend about this prog.

He seemed confused by it since there are advertised commercial trips overland from Singapore to the UK ... via Beijing and the Trans-Siberian express... I guess it wouldn't make very good televison though ... and it wouldn't be much of a race because all the contestants would be on the same train.

[.n]

I was talking to a Singaporean friend about this prog.

He seemed confused by it since there are advertised commercial trips overland from Singapore to the UK ... via Beijing and the Trans-Siberian express... I guess it wouldn't make very good televison though ... and it wouldn't be much of a race because all the contestants would be on the same train.

In the programme, you had to travel via 5(?) designated checkpoints, only being given the next one after arriving at the previous one. So for stage 1 it was get to Delphi, stage two was then get to Baku, etc

Trainfan344

Established Member
Yeah basically they have to put checkpoints in to ensure they get an interesting program. Quite enjoying watching how different people approach the same issue.

Hophead

Established Member
There's also a budget that the contestants have to keep to (potentially topped up with a bit of casual work). I think it's something like £1399. My query regards Singapore being the furthest overland destination from the UK, as I'd have thought it would be somewhere more like Vladivostok (though that may well limit travel options).

The reason they had checkpoints is to prevent them going through Russia (which has draconian visa requirements) or Iran or Saudi Arabia (where no-one's getting a British television camera crew in with them).

[.n]

The reason they had checkpoints is to prevent them going through Russia (which has draconian visa requirements) or Iran or Saudi Arabia (where no-one's getting a British television camera crew in with them).

There was one part of of the trip that was basically skipped over (in terms of film footage) as it went through a military area (or similar).

As I understand it a production team(s) did the challenge first via a few potential routes to see if it was possible / the likely route/timings etc. I actually think it would be better if the next series covers more of the journey of each team in depth, perhaps in iPlayer only episodes

Status
Not open for further replies.