• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Racist Passenger Convicted For Verbally Abusing Gateline Staff At Lime Street

Status
Not open for further replies.

Antman

Established Member
Back to the topic at hand - glad this vile individual got some form of punishment, though a suspended sentence is not sufficient in my book. There's no need for that sort of abuse at all, which is an extreme example of what, unfortunately, many staff on the front line experience every day.

I think it probably is sufficient, obviously we don't know anything about the individual but it does appear to be a moment of madness and he did apologise when he had calmed down. I'm in no way excusing his behaviour but there is a lot worse that goes unpunished.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

He was only collared because Liverpool Lime Street just happens to be where the 'Hobby Bobbies' are kept.

Now if it had happened ten miles down the line and you were waiting for them to show, you would have had a TOC controller ringing you up and asking why you can't move the train.
We are so supported by those who sit on their backsides safe in an office miles away. Must be a real bind when all you have to worry about is dropping a stapler on your foot.

Antman

Established Member
He was only collared because Liverpool Lime Street just happens to be where the 'Hobby Bobbies' are kept.

Now if it had happened ten miles down the line and you were waiting for them to show, you would have had a TOC controller ringing you up and asking why you can't move the train.
We are so supported by those who sit on their backsides safe in an office miles away. Must be a real bind when all you have to worry about is dropping a stapler on your foot.

Hopefully ten miles down the line they would have CCTV in working order and he would be apprehended at a later date.

I'm sure the office based jobs are just as essential as any other.

6Gman

Established Member
he was sentenced to prison suspended for a period of time which seems about right. If he is before the court during that time he will find himself banged up pdq.

And, if he's got any sense - big ask I know, he'll behave himself around railway staff. And generally.

RichmondCommu

Established Member
Like it or not, these people continue to exist and we have to accept that they exist and cater for them just in the same way that we cater for everyone.

We may not like them but we should respect it, regardless of how you personally feel about it.

Cater for them? Respect them? Respect them for what? Being racist? How on earth this horrible nasty man avoided jail is beyond me.

Shaw S Hunter

Established Member

You need to learn a bit of assertiveness. If there's been a fight on your train of sufficient violence to need police attendance, for example, then your train waits, simple as. That's not a decision requiring any input from Control.

Hopefully ten miles down the line they would have CCTV in working order and he would be apprehended at a later date.

Ha ha, very funny. Try visiting us up here in the "grim North" and see how many stations have CCTV anywhere other than the booking office.

trainophile

Established Member
After being told he could not board the train without a ticket Randall, who had been drinking, attempted to push a second worker out of the way.

Alcohol seems to be a common 'excuse' for bad behaviour. I wonder how the guy would have acted if he was stone cold sober.

Agent_c

Like it or not, these people continue to exist and we have to accept that they exist and cater for them just in the same way that we cater for everyone.

We may not like them but we should respect it, regardless of how you personally feel about it.

The Railway is under no obligation to provide services to people who it doesn't want to, including those who verbally abuse or assault their staff.

D1009

Established Member
Locking people up costs a lot of public money, and a short term sentence in many cases is not the most appropriate form of punishment. I don't offer a solution however.

Status
Not open for further replies.