• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Radio presenters

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bobdogs

Isn't it about time these interminable programmes were restricted.
For example, this morning the presenter on BBC Radio Wales, Jason Mohammed, had a phone in which people were phoning about food shortages, an alert for the panic buyers.Some phone calls were sensible but more often than not ridiculous opinions prevailed. They tell us that there is no such thing as a stupid question. Correct, but there are many stupid people expressing ridiculous opinions and asking the same questions over and over.

Similarly, when the panic buying started a couple of weeks ago, Jeremy Vine devoted half an hour to the subject. Obviously, the panic buying morons are going to latch on to this and set off to the shops immediately.Surely this sort of discussion should not be happening.
Campbell, Burden and company are seemingly revelling in the subject along with a constant accompaniment of "experts" who are presumably well paid for their appearance.
Worst of all is Nolan who seems to revel in misery, replaying overlong interviews with the poor unfortunates who are encouraged to talk about their awful circumstances.
If we listen to news programmes such as those on Radio 4, or the BBC News on the television, all the information needed is there, first thing in the morning.
Enough of these mostly pretentious, self aggrandising, overpaid people who talk.
Thank goodness for Radio 2, Radio 4 extra and 6music. At least they have maintained their standards and not started being overly cheerful like our annoying, gushing , over the top local radio d j with an annoying laugh.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

DarloRich

Veteran Member
Just because you dont like the views or opinions of people does not invalidate them.

Also phone ins are cheap and easy to broadcast and can lead to good trails and simple cheap pr for your show

Tom B

Established Member
Jeremy Vine is just about the worst part of Radio 2.

Tetchytyke

Veteran Member
Phone-ins, especially Jeremy Vine, are hilarious until you realise these people are actually allowed to vote.

not started being overly cheerful like our annoying, gushing , over the top local radio d j with an annoying laugh.

If you want annoying, try listening to Shaun Keaveny. It's enough to make you hope you catch Covid-19.

Tom B

Established Member
Where's Smashey and Nicey when you need them?

hooverboy

On Moderation
Where's Smashey and Nicey when you need them?
alan partridge for sure.

mind you,jeremy vine does some absolutely classic inappropriate segways from topics to music choice.

how anyone can follow up a phone in on coronavirus with MC hammer "you can't touch this" is beyond me:lol:

yorksrob

Veteran Member
I've always tended to avoid Jeremy Vine, simply because I go to Radio 2 for music and light relief. That said, during the present situation, he has had some good experts on, and having the whole country to choose from, they have some members of the public with some genuinely interesting insights.

The thing I've noticed since working from home, is that Steve Wright generally has a pretty good range of music, and seems to have more independence from the dreaded Radio 2 playlist !

CaptainHaddock

Established Member
Eh?

Turn it off!

It's now easy enough to access an enormous range of alternative spoken word audio.

You don't always have a choice if it's the office radio!

We generally have Radio 2 on but switch to another channel for the two hours that Jeremy Vine is on with his idiots phone-in.

I've tried introducing my colleagues to 6 Music but it seems their tastes aren't as eclectic of mine, given their usual response tends to be "turn that **** off!".

My main bugbear with the BBC radio channels is, why does every single station have to have an hourly news bulletin? At a time like this, many of us just want to escape from the news and not get too stressed.

Ianno87

Veteran Member
Jeremy Vine honestly drives me up the wall. The mix of shouty uninformed callers given airtime, opinions/conjecture presented as fact, and Mr Vine's constant condescending moral high-grounding just do my head in.

Just remembering when they were discussing the 2012 West Coast franchise fiasco. Painful to listen to for anyone with a shred of actual knowledge on the subject. My Mum was lucky not to have to buy a new car radio as I was perilously close to putting my right foot into it.

Tom B

Established Member
alan partridge for sure.

mind you,jeremy vine does some absolutely classic inappropriate segways from topics to music choice.

how anyone can follow up a phone in on coronavirus with MC hammer "you can't touch this" is beyond me:lol:

I did hear that Smashey and Nicey were based on Tony Blackburn and Gary Davies, both of whom I think are pretty decent.

The thing I've noticed since working from home, is that Steve Wright generally has a pretty good range of music, and seems to have more independence from the dreaded Radio 2 playlist !

Steve Wriht (that's with no g) and Sara Cox are both fine IF you're in a good lighthearted mood for silliness and aren't taking anything too seriously.

NorthernSpirit

Established Member
We generally have Radio 2 on but switch to another channel for the two hours that Jeremy Vine is on with his idiots phone-in.

This one is a classic of the Jeremy Vine phone in, taken from the "We Got A Problem" youtube page where one deranged caller hoped the other caller would choke on their champagne.

My main bugbear with the BBC radio channels is, why does every single station have to have an hourly news bulletin? At a time like this, many of us just want to escape from the news and not get too stressed.

Not all radio stations have an hourly news bulletin, Rotherham's community radio station Redroad FM (on 102.4 FM) doesn't have news on the hour just a simple top-of-the-hour "Todwick, Dinnington, Shireoaks, Woodhall - your music is life station, this is Redroad" ID instead.

http://www.redroadfm.com/

Makes a change to the dreary, doom and gloom ridden BBC.

Tetchytyke

Veteran Member
Steve Wright generally has a pretty good range of music, and seems to have more independence from the dreaded Radio 2 playlist !

The only problem with Steve Wright is, well, Steve Wright. But he's old enough and established enough to be allowed to do whatever the heck he wants. For good and bad. Not many other DJs have that luxury; Radcliffe and Maconie (more so now they've been shoved on to weekend breakfast and replaced with the teeth-itchingly annoying Shaun Keaveny) and Gideon Coe on 6Music- to an extent- but can't think of anyone else.

yorksrob

Veteran Member
The only problem with Steve Wright is, well, Steve Wright. But he's old enough and established enough to be allowed to do whatever the heck he wants. For good and bad. Not many other DJs have that luxury; Radcliffe and Maconie (more so now they've been shoved on to weekend breakfast and replaced with the teeth-itchingly annoying Shaun Keaveny) and Gideon Coe on 6Music- to an extent- but can't think of anyone else.

I was angry when Radcliffe and Marconi were shunted off of the evening slot at Radio 2 - don't get me started !

I do like Wrightey though. I seem to recall that he was shifted off the Radio 1 morning slot for standing up to the BBC playlist mafia.

Cowley

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Global Moderator
I was angry when Radcliffe and Marconi were shunted off of the evening slot at Radio 2 - don't get me started !

I do like Wrightey though. I seem to recall that he was shifted off the Radio 1 morning slot for standing up to the BBC playlist mafia.
I think Smashie and Nicey didn’t help for a lot of those old school Radio 1 DJs. ;)

Tetchytyke

Veteran Member
was angry when Radcliffe and Marconi were shunted off of the evening slot at Radio 2 - don't get me started !

So was I, especially for someone as utterly bland and boring as Jo Whiley. I loved that Radio 2 show, especially when they came and recorded it live in the pub at the end of my street.

(I don't get why radio 2 love Jo Whiley. The BBC employ so many interesting women- Lauren Laverne and Nemone Metaxas for two- and Jo Whiley just plods along in her little beige world).

Cowley

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Global Moderator
So was I, especially for someone as utterly bland and boring as Jo Whiley. I loved that Radio 2 show, especially when they came and recorded it live in the pub at the end of my street.

(I don't get why radio 2 love Jo Whiley. The BBC employ so many interesting women- Lauren Laverne and Nemone Metaxas for two- and Jo Whiley just plods along in her little beige world).
I can’t remember who it was now but I remember someone describing Jo Whiley as “someone who thinks she’s far more interesting than she actually is”. :lol:

yorksrob

Veteran Member
I think Smashie and Nicey didn’t help for a lot of those old school Radio 1 DJs. ;)

I like to think they're not based on any of the DJ's that I like !

I can’t remember who it was now but I remember someone describing Jo Whiley as “someone who thinks she’s far more interesting than she actually is”. :lol:

In a way, I think Jo Wiley is in an unenviable position in that it's difficult to develop any sort of banter on your own. The should have given her a partner to work with.

Just a thought, bring back Mark and Lard re-runs in place of Jeremy effing Vine.

I'm up for that ! Fish or Fowl anyone ?

Bobdogs

I like to think they're not based on any of the DJ's that I like !

In a way, I think Jo Wiley is in an unenviable position in that it's difficult to develop any sort of banter on your own. The should have given her a partner to work with.

I'm up for that ! Fish or Fowl anyone ?
They did, Simon Mayo, on the evening show on Radio 2. Disaster.

Tetchytyke

Veteran Member

They gave her Simon Mayo- someone who is generally good at banter, as his film show with Mark Kermode proves- and it was a complete car wreck. Amazingly they pushed him out and kept her!

Just a thought, bring back Mark and Lard re-runs in place of Jeremy effing Vine.

Only if we get the sports reports from Butch Schlong and Snatch Friggitt, live from W A N K Cincinnati :lol:

yorksrob

Veteran Member
They did, Simon Mayo, on the evening show on Radio 2. Disaster.

They gave her Simon Mayo- someone who is generally good at banter, as his film show with Mark Kermode proves- and it was a complete car wreck. Amazingly they pushed him out and kept her!

Only if we get the sports reports from Butch Schlong and Snatch Friggitt, live from W A N K Cincinnati :lol:

I think very few people can sustain entertainment mostly on their own, which is why most presenters have their "posse" or are a double act. Tony Blackburn and Ken Bruce manage it though !

Typhoon

Established Member
I understood he walked (and got a new job).
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/entertainment-arts-47120959
Mayo said: "There was genuine pressure from the top about improving the number of women in daytime".
The presenter added he was not told about the change in a face-to-face meeting with managers.
Instead, he found out about the decision to introduce a female co-presenter in a phone call with his agent.
Mayo then insisted his co-host should be Whiley, as the pair had been friends for years and had even gone on a family holiday together.
He claimed managers never gave him a sense that the decision would be reversed if it didn't work, adding: "They'd invested too much political capital in the change."
The resulting show met with a huge backlash from listeners and ended after just a few months on air, when Mayo announced his departure from Radio 2.
Mayo said he didn't see himself, or Whiley, as a victim, saying: "I think victim's the wrong word. Jo and I worked very hard to make that show as good as it could be."
Now, whether Simon Mayo has tried to be as positive as he can towards his former co-presenter is difficult to gauge, he always comes across as being particularly polite.

Tetchytyke

Veteran Member
Now, whether Simon Mayo has tried to be as positive as he can towards his former co-presenter is difficult to gauge, he always comes across as being particularly polite.

I always got the feeling he was either shoved or jumped before he was shoved- as he says, managers were too politically invested in having a female doing drivetime. If your show has become a car wreck and you know they won't fire your new co-host, your options are pretty limited.

As you say, Simon Mayo has never been one for being anything other than polite, I doubt there's any bad feeling, it's just a fact they were always going to pick Whiley over him.

I've nothing against Whiley either, she seems a really nice person and a safe pair of hands, just reallybland. Bland on radio 1 and now bland on radio 2. I never got the BBC's fuss over her. I certainly never got why they binned off Radcliffe and Maconie from weekday evenings and replaced them with Whiley. That drove my switch to 6Music- Marc Riley and Gideon Coe both manage to be entertaining whilst presenting their shows alone.

Typhoon

Established Member
I've nothing against Whiley either, she seems a really nice person and a safe pair of hands, just reallybland. Bland on radio 1 and now bland on radio 2. I never got the BBC's fuss over her. I certainly never got why they binned off Radcliffe and Maconie from weekday evenings and replaced them with Whiley.
Maybe she was better suited to be the 'straight (wo)man' paired up with some extravert 'funny man'.
Certainly Radcliffe and Maconie are a great loss. Anyone wanting to find out why a duo works needs to listen to them

Tom B

Established Member
Am I right in thinking that Jo has presented coverage of Glastonbury? I'm not sure. They should have put trailers on at the time.

I think very few people can sustain entertainment mostly on their own, which is why most presenters have their "posse" or are a double act. Tony Blackburn and Ken Bruce manage it though !

The morning traffic guy is another one who thinks he's the be all and end all!

Status
Not open for further replies.