• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

RAF Tornado Retirement

Status
Not open for further replies.

nat67

Established Member
Hi folks I would like some information if the Tornado retirement will take place at RAF Marham on 31st March 2019.

I have always liked to Tornado and me and my dad would like to see it for one last time still flying.

Cheers Nat.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

mpthomson

There'll still be options to see them, although travel will be required; both Italy and Germany will be using them until 2025 or so on current planning.

RichJF

Germany are rumoured to be exploring options to extend service life to 2035! Saudi & Italy both still fly them as well.

nat67

Established Member
Germany are rumoured to be exploring options to extend service life to 2035! Saudi & Italy both still fly them as well.
Will they do a retirement flypast (family day) at RAF Marham on the 31st March?

nat67

Established Member
Talking of the Saudi's they where the last to fly the E.E. Lightning weren't they.

Ted633

Posted on Fighter Control that the last day of flying will likely be 16th March. I've read that there will be a 9 ship tour of the country as a farewell, but I can't seem to find where I saw that. Currently only 16 left in service.

nat67

Established Member
Posted on Fighter Control that the last day of flying will likely be 16th March. I've read that there will be a 9 ship tour of the country as a farewell, but I can't seem to find where I saw that. Currently only 16 left in service.
But will there still be a retirement do at RAF Marham on the 31st March do you know?

Cheers Nat.

eMeS

Back in April 1978 I was sent to TI at Dallas for a two week course on the radar fitted to the Tornado IDS. My background was in airborne radar for the Tornado ADV, but another part of the company had won a servicing contract for the IDS, and some manager thought that a guy with hands-on radar knowledge ought to go. It's a long time ago.
I enjoyed the trip and the ease of using the then very new Dallas-Fort Worth Airport. I also enjoyed some steaks!
I didn't enjoy the long flights.

nat67

Established Member

DarloRich

Veteran Member
I shall have a go and see what happens.
Cheers

I am assuming you are a fairly young lad. Use it as an opportunity to practice writing a professional letter. I wrote to the br press office all the time as a kid for to ask questions. Never an issue and they always replied.

nat67

Established Member
I am assuming you are a fairly young lad. Use it as an opportunity to practice writing a professional letter. I wrote to the br press office all the time as a kid for to ask questions. Never an issue and they always replied.
Cheers I hope they will reply I haven't had very good luck recently with the railways such as Colas and VT.

nat67

Established Member
Does anyone know which 3 GR.4 Tornado's flew over RAF Cosford on the 19/2/19?

Cheers Nat.

Ted633

ZD716, ZD744, ZA601 and ZA587 all got airbourne. One was a photoship though. Tail numbers involved in the flypast were 092, 035 and the 31 sqn special

E759

There are nice photos on tinterweb of 3x old Tornados and 1x young Darlington Tornado

GusB

Established Member
Associate Staff
Buses & Coaches
Unfortunately I didn't see the flypast today, but I bloody well heard it! I'm so used to hearing Typhoons these days, and it's sad to think it will probably be the last time I'll ever hear the Tornadoes.

Status
Not open for further replies.