• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

RAF Tornados and their final few months & where to see them?

Status
Not open for further replies.

nat67

Established Member
Hi folks I would love to see the Panavia Tornado's before they are retired form active service next year (2019). What is the best place to see them I would imagine either Norfolk or Scotland.
Cheers Nat.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

GusB

Established Member
Associate Staff
Buses & Coaches
Hi folks I would love to see the Panavia Tornado's before they are retired form active service next year (2019). What is the best place to see them I would imagine either Norfolk or Scotland.
Cheers Nat.
As far as I'm aware, there are no Tornadoes at Lossiemouth any more.

GusB

Established Member
Associate Staff
Buses & Coaches
I think it must just be RAF Cottishall then maybe. Cheers anyway.
RAF Marham is where they're all based now. I think the last Tornado squadron left Lossie in 2017. I can't remember exactly when, but there was a bit of publicity in the local press about them leaving. It's all Typhoons here at the moment, although the Poseidon P8 maritime patrol fleet will eventually be based here.

nat67

Established Member
RAF Marham is where they're all based now. I think the last Tornado squadron left Lossie in 2017. I can't remember exactly when, but there was a bit of publicity in the local press about them leaving. It's all Typhoons here at the moment, although the Poseidon P8 maritime patrol fleet will eventually be based here.
Cool, cheers Gus.

Last edited:

nat67

Established Member
RAF Coltishall closed when the RAF retired the Jaguar - some ten (?) years ago. I seem to recall that they built houses on some of the airfield.
Yes that's right I couldn't remember, I shall have to take my dad to Marham then as there is the Victor there as well.

Spamcan81

Yes that's right I couldn't remember, I shall have to take my dad to Marham then as there is the Victor there as well.

The Victor was retired after the Gulf War. Not sure if they have one plinthed as a gate guardian though. Tornado operations are at quite a low level these days with so few left in service. Today for instance none have flow at all so far. The F-35 is also based there but with so much traing now being on the simulator and only one squadron operative at present, they don’t fly many sorties either at the moment.

EDIT : A Tornado mission launched from Marham a few minutes ago.

Last edited:

nat67

Established Member
The Victor was retired after the Gulf War. Not sure if they have one plinthed as a gate guardian though. Tornado operations are at quite a low level these days with so few left in service. Today for instance none have flow at all so far. The F-35 is also based there but with so much traing now being on the simulator and only one squadron operative at present, they don’t fly many sorties either at the moment.

XH673 is the Victor Tanker also a Canberra PR9 and Tornado GR1.

Spamcan81

Marham used to have a Valiant on display too but that’s now on display at Cosford.

nat67

Established Member
I may have to make a trip to Marham early next year.
Can anyone confirm whether an C-17 Globemaster or Airbus A400-M Atlas was working through south Warwickshire on the 4/12 around 1100 ish. Cheers

Last edited:

Spamcan81

I may have to make a trip to Marham early next year.
Can anyone confirm whether an C-17 Globemaster or Airbus A400-M Atlas was working through south Warwickshire yesterday 4/12 around 1100 ish. Cheers

Don't leave it too late. Late March is the supposed end of service date but rumours now suggesting January. Just for the record, earlier this week a pair of Tonkas went east as part of Operation Shader. This is the Tonka's final overseas deployment and when the pair return, another episode will be consigned to the history book.

nat67

Established Member
Don't leave it too late. Late March is the supposed end of service date but rumours now suggesting January. Just for the record, earlier this week a pair of Tonkas went east as part of Operation Shader. This is the Tonka's final overseas deployment and when the pair return, another episode will be consigned to the history book.
Will they do an end of retirement flypast at Marham for friends and relatives kind of thing.
Will they be flying between Christmas and New years as I would be able to get my dad to take me.

Last edited:

Jamesrob637

Established Member
On and off topic, I swear I heard a fast jet over Banbury on 28 November around 5pm, just after dark, as I was about to board a southbound Cross Country service. Not low-low, but not high either. Could/would it have been a Tornado? Also I didn't think jets flew over that area since the close of Heyford in the 90s?

Status
Not open for further replies.