• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

RAIB Report 03/2020: Class investigation into human performance in signalling operation

Status
Not open for further replies.

alxndr

Established Member
Where UWC's can't be removed (and replaced by a bridge or underpass), could they not be reconfigured with automatic closing gates? For example, a simple spring-loaded gate found on many National Trust trails would suffice

Still have an emergency telephone with a clear sign donating the name of the crossing

Pedestrian gates generally are fitted with them, in my experience, but that won't work for crossings used by vehicles, horses, or other large animals. For those you would need a system of delaying the closure, and also overriding any pre-set timer for the closure in the event of a crossing known to be slower than typical.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

HSTEd

Veteran Member
Perhaps we should replace rural lines with Chinese style prefabricated concrete viaducts.
Could fit slab track and electrification at the same time..........

Veteran Member
Where UWC's can't be removed (and replaced by a bridge or underpass), could they not be reconfigured with automatic closing gates? For example, a simple spring-loaded gate found on many National Trust trails would suffice
Interesting - do the NT have gates that can be configured to stay open without being held and delay closing long enough for a vehicle to use two consecutive ones say 15m apart, as on a typical UWC?

Sorry, somehow missed alxndr asking more or less the same. Ignore me.

Strat-tastic

Established Member
I nearly got trapped while walking across a level crossing once. The sequence started just as I had entered, so I thought I'd have enough time to get clear. As I approached the far gate it started to come down, so I had to quicken my step, move left, and duck a bit to get to safety.

I later timed the same crossing:

From sirens sounding to first gate descending = 7 secs
From this point to second gate descending = 7 secs
Gates fully down = another 7 secs.

I am not a particularly slow walker, but think now if I am just inside then I'd turn round, otherwise walk quickly and be prepared to head to the middle of the road, whilst being aware of any traffic movements on the road.

Not sure what less-able-bodied people do in this situation.

SignallerJohn

I nearly got trapped while walking across a level crossing once. The sequence started just as I had entered, so I thought I'd have enough time to get clear. As I approached the far gate it started to come down, so I had to quicken my step, move left, and duck a bit to get to safety.

I am not a particularly slow walker, but think now if I am just inside then I'd turn round, otherwise walk quickly and be prepared to head to the middle of the road, whilst being aware of any traffic movements on the road.

If it was a CCTV crossing the operator probably saw you and had it all under control.

Llanigraham

On Moderation

That was obviously an Automatic Half Barrier crossing, and therefore not relevant to the User Worked Crossings being discussed here.

Strat-tastic

Established Member
The report looks at this issue specifically and it got me wondering how often people do get stranded, even if briefly until the signaller spotted it.

I would find refuge and wave at the camera! And not a cheery hello kind of wave either - cooeee! :D

Llanigraham

On Moderation
The report looks at this issue specifically and it got me wondering how often people do get stranded, even if briefly until the signaller spotted it.

I would find refuge and wave at the camera! And not a cheery hello kind of wave either - cooeee! :D
automatic half barrier crossings are not monitored by cameras.

alxndr

Established Member
That was obviously an Automatic Half Barrier crossing, and therefore not relevant to the User Worked Crossings being discussed here.

There were two sets of "gates" (barriers) descending at different times so cannot have been an AHB.

automatic half barrier crossings are not monitored by cameras.

Correct, but it sounds as though it was not an AHB.

edwin_m

Veteran Member
If it was a CCTV crossing the operator probably saw you and had it all under control.
The whole issue here is that RAIB is concerned about the risk of people being trapped within the barriers and for whatever reason the signaler isn't aware of them and presses the crossing clear button.

Status
Not open for further replies.