• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

RAIB's Urgent Safety Advice

Status
Not open for further replies.

Adlington

.... for tram operators
Tram operators should take urgent steps to confirm or ensure that tram drivers:
  • perform a thorough check after obtaining door interlock and before moving the tram to confirm that nothing outside the tram is trapped in the doors
  • do not place sole reliance on the door interlock system when deciding whether anything outside the tram is trapped in the doors
  • are provided with the means to achieve the above
It's easy to give sensible recommendations (first two bullets). Shouldn't RAIB also do/suggest something more practical to achieve those goals, and not simply say "something needs to be done"?

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

DriverToBe

This is seems like the RAIB writing something for the sake of it and almost pointless. I don’t see the point of releasing this without any substance as it is something that should go without saying when driving anything really.

Established Member
Not sure why this isn't applicable to any railway operator, especially DOO ones.

bluegoblin7

Established Member
This is in response to a number of recent incidents on UK Tramways, most recently Nottingham (https://www.google.co.uk/amp/s/www....-launched-after-pushchair-trapped-1099741.amp).

It is not the RAIB's role to insist on modifications or to suggest explicit changes that must be made. They are an investigative body and make recommendations as to whether things should be implemented to mitigate against future occurrences. The exact nature of those mitigations are left to the operator, and policed by other organisations and legislation. (The Rail and Other Guided Transport Systems [ROGS] regulations being the main one)

Historically tramways/light rail networks have been much closer aligned with bus/road practice than heavy rail, although post-Croydon we are starting to see a shift, as the USAN here shows.

Tetchytyke

Veteran Member
This is seems like the RAIB writing something for the sake of it and almost pointless

I disagree.

RAIB can't force changes to a specific situation, they can only make recommendations.

This bulletin is clear: drivers should have training to not rely on door interlock, and the equipment (mirrors, monitors) they use to check the doors are clear should work and be clear enough to show an obstruction.

Clearly it should be a basic thing for operators, but equally clearly at the moment it isn't.

DriverToBe

Clearly it should be a basic thing for operators, but equally clearly at the moment it isn't.

The training isn’t just once the doors are closed go, the training at NET makes it very clear of what is required from the driver.
The main thing that needs improvement is the quality of the cameras and monitors that the drivers use but I will be very surprised if they get improved in any way.

philthetube

Established Member
Is the sensitive edge equipment used on modern LUL stock not suitable for trams? If it is then why is it not mandated for new trams, (and trains)? I would have thought it would have prevented these incidents.

Adlington

There were a few cases recently(ish) where the sensitive edge equipment wasn't sensitive enough.... See e.g. Hayes & Harlington station, 25 July 2015:
the train driver and other railway staff held the same misunderstanding: if someone had a hand trapped in a door it would not be possible for the door interlock light to illuminate and a driver to take power. This is not the case, and the door was found to be compliant with all applicable standards after the accident.

Domh245

Established Member
I'm fairly sure the train in that case doesn't have sensitive edge, being an early 90s built networker

daikilo

Established Member
The training isn’t just once the doors are closed go, the training at NET makes it very clear of what is required from the driver.
The main thing that needs improvement is the quality of the cameras and monitors that the drivers use but I will be very surprised if they get improved in any way.

From their point 3 I suspect they also want to ensure operators take into account other variables such as exterior lighting and/or colour contrasts. They may also want to suggest "and the time in schedules to perform the required checks".

Tetchytyke

Veteran Member
The training isn’t just once the doors are closed go

Up here on Metro drivers had fallen into that habit, as well as some of the DOO equipment not being maintained or sited correctly (even now, Pelaw on sunny winter mornings can be bad).

Status
Not open for further replies.