• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Rail Accident Investigation Branch hiring investigators

Status
Not open for further replies.

9K43

I have alook at this link for the RAIB who want to recruite investigators.

Circa £4000pa.

http://www.raib.gov.uk/about_us/car...ident_investigators_and_business_managers.cfm

Rail Accident Investigator
Two posts – in Derby or Farnborough
Grade: DfT Pay Band 6A&N
Pay range is £68,666 - £76,583
As a Rail Accident Investigator, whenever there is a significant accident or incident on the UK’s railways, you may be among the first to respond. You will then carry out a detailed and professional investigation, report upon the factors that led to an accident and make recommendations for improvements in the safety of the railways.
Ideally, your career to date will include proven experience and expertise in railway signalling, rolling stock, infrastructure or operations. However, we are open to all railway disciplines, or to investigation experience gained from another field.
To be eligible to act as a front-line investigator you must be prepared to undergo security and health checks. Investigations can involve work in demanding conditions; so we also require that you are physically fit.
We will provide comprehensive expert training in the skills and knowledge required.

Business and Strategy Manager
Two posts – one in Derby and one in Farnborough
Grade: DfT Pay Band 6 (Civil Service Grade 7)
Pay range is £45,688 - £52,796
As a Business and Strategy Manager, you will be a member of the RAIB’s Technical Support team. In this role you will manage staff whose main area of responsibility is to support the efficient operation of the front-line investigators and to assist the Senior Management Team in planning, developing, optimising and maintaining the efficiency and effectiveness of the Branch’s general operations and investigation capability.
You will need a broad understanding of the railway industry and of policy work, as well as a general awareness of railway safety issues, or a proven ability to learn quickly. You will also have proven experience of managing a small team and communicating effectively, both verbally and in writing. You must have good interpersonal, organisational, policy and problem solving skills; and be results focused.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

TDK

Established Member

John Webb

Established Member
I looked at this before and on the application form they asked what degrees I had so it seems that if you are a train driver and a fully qualified investigator but do not have a degree do not apply - it's the way Railway is progressing unfortunately.
The job spec does say 'or equivalent professional experience', so a degree isn't essential if you have the experience. Speaking as a former scientific civil servant I have to say that these are quite high-level jobs so it's not surprising they are asking for degrees as a matter of course.

By the way, I don't know where the £4,000 figure comes from - the RAIB site says "£68,666-76,583"!

Status
Not open for further replies.