• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Rail Analytics Website

Status
Not open for further replies.

Legolash2o

I'm re-starting a website. I'm hoping it will be a place for rail data and sharing maps/analytics. For example, I follow the electrification threads and my way of contributing to the forum is by keeping track of it, mapping it and then share maps and pie charts showing breakdown, and eventually break-down by region (more below).

https://railmap.azurewebsites.net

I'm hoping to make more publicly available maps and charts. What analytics would people generally like to see?

So far:
  • Loading Gauge Map
    • Breakdown % of gauges + total track kilometres
  • Electrification Map
    • Breakdown % of type (OHLE, DC3, DC4, etc)
    • Historical changes and progress (thanks to Gralistair for providing the data)
In the works:
  • More maps:
    • Route Availability, Length/Weight restrictions, include gauge certificates on gauge map.
  • Electrification:
    • Adding schedule overlay onto the map to aid in analysing what routes should be next and how much CO2 it could save.
  • Historical Delays Map
    • A line chart with total per day and when a point is clicked on, it shows a breakdown by reason (pie chart)
  • Today's delay
    • Show delays so far today and potential knock-on delays.
  • Schedules
    • Pick a schedule current or historical schedule and map it.
    • Total distance travelled and CO2 used/saved?

Is there any maps or analytics that you think I can create/share?

Attached are some old images I had of previous analytics showing movements of passenger and freight trains within a timetable. The other two show where freight comes/goes at Felixstowe and Immingham.
The movements shows that there's decent enough traffic on the following lines:
  • Transpennine (Passenger)
  • Bristol to Birmingham via Worcester (Passenger)
  • Cardiff to Swansea (Passenger)
  • Immingham to Doncaster (Freight)
  • Felixstowe to Crewe (Freight)

Attachments

• NE_Pass_Movements.png
    NE_Pass_Movements.png
    1.7 MB · Views: 17
  • NE_Freight_Movements.png
    NE_Freight_Movements.png
    1.8 MB · Views: 19
  • Felixstowe Freight.png
    Felixstowe Freight.png
    432.4 KB · Views: 17
  • Immingham Freight.png
    Immingham Freight.png
    528.4 KB · Views: 15
Last edited:
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Banana

Looks really good. However do I need an account to login? If so how do I obtain one? Thanks.

Legolash2o

I do have the ability to create accounts. Stuff currently in development and random experiments I do is behind the login.

The reason the interactive maps* are behind a login is because I'm just getting clarification from Ordnance Survey that I can publicly share the interactive maps. The good news, is that yesterday I got a response saying I can proceed as long as I add copyright stuff. I've sent them a follow up email and just waiting for that.

*think of Google Maps and being able to zoom in and out to track level with the electrification.

Status
Not open for further replies.