• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Rail Buddies

Status
Not open for further replies.

WCMLaddict

Hi ladies and gents,

Does anybody here use http://www.railbuddies.com?
It looks like a nice thing. Not an app but a mobile friendly website where you can check-in on the train or station and chat with other people on the same service.
I can see that quite a few other people from the forums regularly do same journeys as me and it would be nice I thought to meet them if we are on the same train.

So is anybody here using it?

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

railbuddies

Hi there,

Thanks for the post on here. My name is Mike and I am currently developing railbuddies.com

I am in the process of developing mobile apps as we speak (and trying to convince people not all passengers are nutters! :D )

Let me know if you have any suggestions and/or ideas and also how you found out about the site.

Cheers!

Mike

Wath Yard

It's a sad reflection on society when people need to register with a website to talk to other people on a train. I remember the days when on long journeys if people were bored they would just start conversations with others sat near them, even strangers!

BestWestern

Established Member
I wonder if it would be appropriate for the Guard to log in and have a natter with the punters?! Possibly not I fear :(

Flamingo

Established Member
I'd settle for people sitting beside each other on a train. I had someone yesterday who paid a 1st Class upgrade (£60), as "STD class is too crowded". It was around half full, but they couldn't get a double seat to themselves.
--- old post above --- --- new post below ---
I wonder if it would be appropriate for the Guard to log in and have a natter with the punters?! Possibly not I fear :(

Could be fun, though, especially if the guard did not let on they were the guard.

hmmmm, I'm starting to think of all kinds of scenarios where that could be used for a certain amount of harmless fun <D

reb0118

Established Member
Fares Advisor
I believe there is a similar scheme to allow you to contact your neighbours online too. I suppose it saves getting dressed to scrounge some milk or a cup of sugar though.

Back to this "Rail Buddies" thing it could be useful to meet people with similar tastes who happen to be at the far end of the train to you if you are fed up with the yobbos who are sitting next to you.

I suppose no-one would be forced to use it - and it's not yet against the bye laws to actually talk to your fellow passengers. :D

WCMLaddict

I must say that when I saw that website I thought more about a possibility of talking or meeting fellow forum users as I noticed quite a few other forum users go on the same lines as me.

I registered and looked around on my laptop and then when wanted to use it, I couldn’t. It’s totally iPhone unfriendly website at the moment. All out of shape and for some reason couldn’t log in at all.
--- old post above --- --- new post below ---
It's a sad reflection on society when people need to register with a website to talk to other people on a train. I remember the days when on long journeys if people were bored they would just start conversations with others sat near them, even strangers!

I disagree. It is just a different way of doing same thing, plus you can actually talk to more people at once and in different carriages and not risking disturbing anybody at doing that.

sonic2009

Established Member
I had someone yesterday who paid a 1st Class upgrade (£60), as "STD class is too crowded".

That's cheap compared to what me and BB21 saw onboard a Virgin service from London to Glasgow yesterday.

9 car pendolino full with only 9 seats spare in STD, we were in 1ST but i went to check out, group of American tourists wanted to sit together but sat in 1ST, they were travelling to Oxehnolme had already purchased STD off peak returns (were on their outward portion) and paid a whopping £792 for all 4 of them, it was split between two cards (which don't have chip + pin) took about half an hour to process as the guard had to get the renevue protection team as he didn't have the number to call for authority.

We of course did advise the tourists to consider Britrail next time for 1ST :)

Sent from my GT-I9000 using Tapatalk

tsr

Established Member
It is just a different way of doing same thing, plus you can actually talk to more people at once and in different carriages and not risking disturbing anybody at doing that.

I can't see how a polite, non-offensive and relatively quiet conversation should be thought of as "risking disturbing anybody" outside of a quiet coach or a sleeper service! If you are trying to find people going to a large event who you do not know but think might be on the same train (for example if you want to do some pre-event "networking") this software might be useful. Also, I can see that you could help other passengers with any information you might have in the event of disruption. Plus if the train is busy and you split up from a group, and you don't all have Facebook or any another social network as a common denominator, you could theoretically use this system.

WCMLaddict

I can't see how a polite, non-offensive and relatively quiet conversation should be thought of as "risking disturbing anybody" outside of a quiet coach or a sleeper service!

I didn't mean that. Having polite, non-offensive and relatively quiet chat wouldn't disturb majority of people.
But looking across the board of people using trains, we have different backgrounds, ages etc. and its right to say that some people are insensitive to other people around. If such app/page became popular it might make the number of disturbances smaller.
I hope I made myself clearer now :oops:

Status
Not open for further replies.