• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Rail Bus Service Peterborough - Dereham

Status
Not open for further replies.

DerekC

Established Member
It may be obvious to others, but not to me. Why is Network Rail currently running a half-hourly bus service from Peterborough to Dereham, calling at Wisbech, King's Lynn and Swaffham?

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Glenn1969

Established Member
It's First service ExceL that runs from Peterborough to Norwich via Wisbech, Kings Lynn, Swaffham and Dereham. On Realtimetrains it is advertised as an LNER service so my guess is that through ticketing must be available to London on LNER services from Wisbech, Swaffham and Dereham at Peterborough station?

Because you can buy through tickets onto the bus at Peterborough from your local station. I have bought Nottingham to Wisbech and Nottingham to King's Lynn BUS, returns previously.

High Dyke

Established Member
Is it something to do with this? (just spotted this thread) - but it still seems a bit odd, to put it mildly!!

https://www.railforums.co.uk/threads/greater-anglia-pboro-to-ipswich-service-abandoned.197672/
No, it's far more historical than that. The Norwich - Kings Lynn section was introduced as far back as 1971 following the closure of the M & GN Joint Line. A separate service operated between Wisbech and Peterborough. 1982 saw the dedicated Rail Link (bus) service introduced by British Rail between Kings Lynn and Peterborough stations, operating via Wisbech, with four services per day in each direction.

In 1983 the service was extended through to Norwich as the 794 service, with the previous Norwich - Kings Lynn service reduced. The bus industry then suffered from the 1985 Deregulation. 1993, Improvements are made to the 794; however, the dedicated BR Rail Link service is discontinued. Two extra journeys added in each direction Monday – Saturday, and one on Sunday. Kings Lynn Station also included as a stopping point. A further rebranding took place in 1996, as the X94, with frequency increased to two-hourly. More improvements a year later saw the service increase to hourly between Peterborough and Norwich. The route was rebranded as the X1 in 2004. The Peak weekday service upgraded to half hourly, with a considerable improvement in evening and Sunday frequency (hourly).
While the terminal points of the service, Norwich and Peterborough, are linked on the rail network (via Ely on the Cambridgeshire – Norfolk border), the route is strategically useful because it links major towns in Norfolk and Cambridgeshire that are no longer served by the rail network. Prior to closure in 1968, Kings Lynn was linked to Norwich via Swaffham and Dereham on the Kings Lynn – Dereham – Norwich line. The towns were also linked by the Midland and Great Northern Joint Railway, which linked Peterborough to Kings Lynn via Wisbech and closed in 1959. Whilst Kings Lynn remains rail-served (as the terminus of the Fen line, with services to Ely, Cambridge and London), all of the other places served en route have lost their rail services but are now calling points on the X1 Route. The evolution of the X1 is an example of a substantially upgraded interurban service, and spans the history of such services well. It was substantially improved following deregulation and privatisation, and on to the present day.
Source: http://www.greengauge21.net/wp-content/uploads/GG21_IBR_A4P_WEB.pdf

Steve Harris

No, it's far more historical than that. The Norwich - Kings Lynn section was introduced as far back as 1971 following the closure of the M & GN Joint Line. A separate service operated between Wisbech and Peterborough. 1982 saw the dedicated Rail Link (bus) service introduced by British Rail between Kings Lynn and Peterborough stations, operating via Wisbech, with four services per day in each direction.

In 1983 the service was extended through to Norwich as the 794 service, with the previous Norwich - Kings Lynn service reduced. The bus industry then suffered from the 1985 Deregulation. 1993, Improvements are made to the 794; however, the dedicated BR Rail Link service is discontinued. Two extra journeys added in each direction Monday – Saturday, and one on Sunday. Kings Lynn Station also included as a stopping point. A further rebranding took place in 1996, as the X94, with frequency increased to two-hourly. More improvements a year later saw the service increase to hourly between Peterborough and Norwich. The route was rebranded as the X1 in 2004. The Peak weekday service upgraded to half hourly, with a considerable improvement in evening and Sunday frequency (hourly).

Source: http://www.greengauge21.net/wp-content/uploads/GG21_IBR_A4P_WEB.pdf
Yep, I remeber them routes being in the National Timetables in the 1980's.

I think there was a Peterborough or was it a Kings Lynn? - Hunstanton bus service in the National Timetable back then too. I presume it was to replace the previous train service between Kings Lynn and Hunstanton because the track had been ripped out.

clagmonster

Established Member
I think there was a Peterborough or was it a Kings Lynn? - Hunstanton bus service in the National Timetable back then too. I presume it was to replace the previous train service between Kings Lynn and Hunstanton because the track had been ripped out.
The Kings Lynn - Hunstanton bus still is in the electronic timetable data, with some through fares available.

arbeia

If, of interest, Go North East are sending down a few displaced National Express coaches to work replacements out of Peterborough

DerekC

Established Member
Thanks for all the info. Does anyone know if there are other permanent rail replacement buses like this? As I recall practically every rail closure was accompanied by promises of a bus service, but many of them (including our local service) have gone long ago.

The Kings Lynn - Hunstanton bus still is in the electronic timetable data, with some through fares available.

That's presumably the one the Queen uses on her way to Sandringham at Christmas.

clagmonster

Established Member
That's presumably the one the Queen uses on her way to Sandringham at Christmas.
There are through fares to Sandringham. Does Liz really use the bus? I always thought she would be carted off in a royal motor car.

Yes Kings Lynn to Hunstanton you can buy through tickets and with a network railcard as well

There used to be fares for Sandringham and Heacham but think they arent available anymore

Also there was through tickets to Burnham Market and Wells Next Sea but you cant buy them online any longer only from railway staff, not even available from a machine

Up until end of 2015 you could buy online from Kings Lynn to any of the above both online and from a member of railway staff but Lynx bus complained so they removed the ticket from the database, Kings Cross, Cambridge, Ely, Littleport, Downham and Watlington tickets should still be available

Also there are through tickets to Fakenham

Last edited:
Thanks for all the info. Does anyone know if there are other permanent rail replacement buses like this? As I recall practically every rail closure was accompanied by promises of a bus service, but many of them (including our local service) have gone long ago.

Other ones I know of is another Peterborough one this time Stagecoach X4 to Corby, you can also buy through tickets to St Ives in Cambridgeshire

Then we have a big one Stagecoach X5 Cambridge, St Neots, Bedford, Milton Keynes to Oxford

Because you can buy through tickets onto the bus at Peterborough from your local station. I have bought Nottingham to Wisbech and Nottingham to King's Lynn BUS, returns previously.

Not available anymore only tickets to LNER stations now

There was a strange one as well years ago from Downham Market to Swaffham which took you on the train to Ely, then Ely to Peterborough for the X1 bus from there to Swaffham

D365

Veteran Member
I can’t remember how many bus services at Peterborough are in the National Timetable (might just be the one), but the services have been shown on the Peterborough departure boards for years.

Not available anymore only tickets to LNER stations now

East Midlands Railway Website will sell me a Nottingham to Kings Lynn BUS STATION or Wisbech(COACH) OPDR for tomorrow on the 09:34 changing at Peterborough for £37.10....
£55.20 OPR is the cheapest non advance via Ely - same ticket is £41.90 via Peterborough & Coach.

Last edited:

WesternLancer

Established Member

Such services used to be shown as a dotted line (I think) on the BR / NR system map that came with the printed national timetable - other ones that come to mind were a carlisle - edinburgh bus link along the line of the old waverely route (now part re-opened of course so it maybe that the bus link from Carlisle to that line still exists) and also for at least a while there was (is?) a route that covered the old Oxford to Cambridge line - think that may have been introduced (re-introduced?) by Virgin after privatisation maybe.

I seem to recall they were termed as 'rail sponsored' bus services, tho I doubt by the 1980s and 90s the BRB was helping to finance them.

Status
Not open for further replies.