• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Rail Charter Services to operate loco hauled trains between Skipton & Appleby.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Iskra

Established Member
There were a couple of customers in our carriage who wanted a beer and turned their nose up at the choices. They didn't look like cranks tbh. it is a lost revenue chance if nothing else.

its not like there isn't a huge brewery at Keighley who could supply or a small one at Settle next to the station ;)

Edit - minor grumble of course. The trip was well run and comfortable.

Agreed, I declined a beer too based on their selection ...and that was on a day when it was 30 degrees and the carriage aircon was defective!

They used to have our own branded bottles of beer on the trolley. Don't know what happened to stop them but they are definitely missing an opportunity there!

They did and it was very nice too!

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

SeanG

xotGD

Established Member
The Loco's have changed ends as you can see from that picture which I gather is due to a TPWS issue in one of the cabs of the 47, so I guess if they don't resolve that before Saturday the 40 might end up working Southbound Instead.
They could turn it at Shipley.

Gricer99

Now confirmed on their twitter feed that the 40 will be on the south end, as will the 37 for the next 2 days.
40145 arrived LE at Appleby today, complete with headboard, 20 minutes after we did

Attachments

• IMG_20200910_135319055.jpg
    IMG_20200910_135319055.jpg
    2.1 MB · Views: 83

skifans

I saw it this morning too. It looked well filled.
Reasonably, staff on the trolley said it was the busiest morning northbound train they had seen. Don't know if/how common this has been but had a group in the same carriage had orange stock National Rail tickets, apparently Skipton ticket office sold them to them even though the group claimed to have clearly asked for the charter.

Iskra

Established Member
Reasonably, staff on the trolley said it was the busiest morning northbound train they had seen. Don't know if/how common this has been but had a group in the same carriage had orange stock National Rail tickets, apparently Skipton ticket office sold them to them even though the group claimed to have clearly asked for the charter.
3 carriages full, the rest sparse. The 0835 is a bit early with a reduced timetable to access it. I’m on it but had to drive to guarantee it; good job I did as I would otherwise have been on the delayed Northern service that has fouled up the mornings Northbound run, luckily I opted not to risk a 10min connection.

Next two runs are sold out.

Last edited:

skifans

3 carriages full, the rest sparse. The 0835 is a bit early with a reduced timetable to access it. I’m on it but had to drive to guarantee it; good job I did as I would otherwise have been on the delayed Northern service that has fouled up the mornings Northbound run, luckily I opted not to risk a 10min connection.
Clearly hadn't walled through enough of the train 1-2 pairs free in A & B, although looked like it might be similar down the rest.

Yep, I was on the 0808 Northern (from Leeds) arrival to leave plenty of time. Thought there might be more people connecting onto the charter but maybe only around half a dozen.

yorksrob

Veteran Member

Next two runs are sold out.

That's not bad, given there are only 4 and the brake van !

20200912_0733071.jpg

Looked and sounded great even if I did have to get up at the crack of dawn to see the ecs and unfortunately the only chance I will get to see it today

ABB125

Established Member
The 0835 departure this morning was fairly well loaded, a few spare sets of seats in the carriage I was in.
The 1035 from Appleby is, however, rather less well loaded, mostly empty is the description I would use (at least in my carriage!). This does rather rather odd, I'd have thought that the first southbound departure would be fairly full, especially with 40145 on the front!
Here it is at Skipton earlier.
IMG_20200912_081251652_HDR.jpg

xotGD

Established Member
The 0835 departure this morning was fairly well loaded, a few spare sets of seats in the carriage I was in.
The 1035 from Appleby is, however, rather less well loaded, mostly empty is the description I would use (at least in my carriage!). This does rather rather odd, I'd have thought that the first southbound departure would be fairly full, especially with 40145 on the front!
Here it is at Skipton earlier.
View attachment 83453
40 bashers spending a day on the ale in Appleby before enjoying the bucket for haulage?

theblackwatch

Established Member
40 bashers spending a day on the ale in Appleby before enjoying the bucket for haulage?

Or put off from doing it owing to the 'yield management' fares introduced by RCS which increased the price to £59 single for 2 people compared to yesterdays £39? :s

Gricer99

Yes that put me off too.

I see it will go straight back to Crewe after it’s last run. So what happened to the 37? Still in Appleby?

mjn

There's a light loco move for Monday from Appleby to Crewe. Seems to split at Hellifield, with one loco going to Crewe and the other to Carry out some Donny to Hull runs, with an overnight stop, then back to Crewe via East Manchester on Tuesday. As the 20 and 37 are the two left at Appleby, it will be interesting to see which does which.

AJ Shenton

There's a light loco move for Monday from Appleby to Crewe. Seems to split at Hellifield, with one loco going to Crewe and the other to Carry out some Donny to Hull runs, with an overnight stop, then back to Crewe via East Manchester on Tuesday. As the 20 and 37 are the two left at Appleby, it will be interesting to see which does which.

There could be a clue in the headcodes 0Z20 to Crewe, 0Z37 to Hull.

The train I believe just about broke even in terms of cost which is much better than anticipated. I think there are plans for next year again on the S&C but nothing confirmed

Status
Not open for further replies.