• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Rail Charter Services to operate loco hauled trains between Skipton & Appleby.

Status
Not open for further replies.

On Moderation
The actual train itself? Got visions of the Fat Controller scolding a sorry looking Class 66 locomotive...
I've got visions more of something like Basil Fawlty and his car!

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

43 302

Established Member
37521 rumoured to be staying on for another week due to 47712s OTMR fault not being fixed yet.

MackemPacer

It seems like there are a couple of people involved in this on here so hoping someone can answer a couple of questions, which the website is a bit vague on.
Is there a catering trolley? If so what is on it? What is open in Appleby food wise? I'm guessing I would be better off bringing what I want with me.
Although I do not work or are involved in this charter, only a local, I hope the following is of some use.

Appleby has quite a good selection of family run food outlets. There are various cafes, pubs, restaurants and a decent chippy as well as a Spar and a Co-Op. As the market town is compact, most of these can be found along Bridge Street and around the Market Square, which is located by the Tourist Infomation symbol on the map: www.visitappleby.com/town-centre-map (The chip shop and the Co-Op are on The Sands) There is also the Appleby Bakery (next to the Post Office and newsagents) which make some superb cakes! Or if you are feeling healthy, opposite is Stephenson's fruit and veg for your 5 a day. Pub wise, I'm afraid I don't know what the current situation is regarding food service/times. I suppose this now gives me a reason to have a pub crawl using the excuse of finding this out!

Once you've got your provisions, the road past the library and the Taste of Eden cafe leads to a pathway around the sports fields alongside the loop in the River Eden. This has seats and and plenty of grass areas so having a picnic is an option, especially if weather* on your trip was anything like today, made all the better with cricket being played for the 1st time this year. Hooray.

*N.B. Remember, that this is Cumbria, and as such all 4 seasons can and do happen in the same hour, never mind the same day!

At the moment may I suggest that you use Station Road to access the town and not follow the signposted route from the station via Clifford Street. This leads to a footpath which is currently closed for utility works. Just a pity that they haven't put an signage up for the diversion! Station Road although slightly longer is better for anyone as it, unlike the footpath, has no steps and is also (slightly) less steep. It's not known as Cardiac Hill for no good reason, especially if you're running late! (Of course that has never happened to me ........)

Enjoy the trip.

Karl

On Moderation
Although I do not work or are involved in this charter, only a local, I hope the following is of some use.

Appleby has quite a good selection of family run food outlets. There are various cafes, pubs, restaurants and a decent chippy as well as a Spar and a Co-Op. As the market town is compact, most of these can be found along Bridge Street and around the Market Square, which is located by the Tourist Infomation symbol on the map: www.visitappleby.com/town-centre-map (The chip shop and the Co-Op are on The Sands) There is also the Appleby Bakery (next to the Post Office and newsagents) which make some superb cakes! Or if you are feeling healthy, opposite is Stephenson's fruit and veg for your 5 a day. Pub wise, I'm afraid I don't know what the current situation is regarding food service/times. I suppose this now gives me a reason to have a pub crawl using the excuse of finding this out!

Once you've got your provisions, the road past the library and the Taste of Eden cafe leads to a pathway around the sports fields alongside the loop in the River Eden. This has seats and and plenty of grass areas so having a picnic is an option, especially if weather* on your trip was anything like today, made all the better with cricket being played for the 1st time this year. Hooray.

*N.B. Remember, that this is Cumbria, and as such all 4 seasons can and do happen in the same hour, never mind the same day!

At the moment may I suggest that you use Station Road to access the town and not follow the signposted route from the station via Clifford Street. This leads to a footpath which is currently closed for utility works. Just a pity that they haven't put an signage up for the diversion! Station Road although slightly longer is better for anyone as it, unlike the footpath, has no steps and is also (slightly) less steep. It's not known as Cardiac Hill for no good reason, especially if you're running late! (Of course that has never happened to me ........)

Enjoy the trip.

Cracking post MackemPacer. You make me want to visit. :)

geoffk

Established Member
According to RTT the 17.58 from Appleby (and thus also the 19.18 ecs ex Skipton) were cancelled yesterday 28th. Anyone know why? Perhaps there was no-one booked on it. Also, Do the locos need refuelling during the week?

matt

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Global Moderator
The last run has been cancelled the last 2 days due to the poor weather and passengers transferred onto the earlier service

geoffk

Established Member
The last run has been cancelled the last 2 days due to the poor weather and passengers transferred onto the earlier service
Thanks. Friday looks fine and I'm planning to go out to photograph several of the trips, while the class 37 is still on it!

Can confirm the last one is definitely running today due to the high volume of passengers on all services, which is good

43 302

Established Member
How long does the 37 have left on this does anyone know?
Was supposed to only be one week so I would imagine current plan is for it to get ripped for a 47 when it goes back to Crewe once a week on the sunday(?). Could well be here another week though.

Rob_76

I was up there today and the train was top and tail with class 37 number D6817 and 47593 "Galloway Princess".
Does anyone know the head codes for these 6 daily trains? They are obfuscated on RTT and OTT.

Darandio

Established Member
I was up there today and the train was top and tail with class 37 number D6817 and 47593 "Galloway Princess".
Does anyone know the head codes for these 6 daily trains? They are obfuscated on RTT and OTT.

1Z40 - 0835 Skipton to Appleby
1Z42 - 1035 Appleby to Skipton
1Z43 - 1218 Skipton to Appleby
1Z44 - 1438 Appleby to Skipton
1Z45 - 1612 Skipton to Appleby
1Z46 - 1758 Appleby to Skipton

SteveM70

Established Member
1Z40 - 0835 Skipton to Appleby
1Z42 - 1035 Appleby to Skipton
1Z43 - 1218 Skipton to Appleby
1Z44 - 1438 Appleby to Skipton
1Z45 - 1612 Skipton to Appleby
1Z46 - 1758 Appleby to Skipton

purely out of curiosity why is 1Z41 not used?

JBuchananGB

Yes, it was busy. Certainly a big crowd emerging from all four coaches on alighting both at Appleby and at Skipton on the return (same crowd I assume!)
A group of four (2 adults, 2 Children) tried to occupy seats which were clearly not their reserved seats, but when requested by the booked passengers, they moved off to find the seats which they must have had booked in another coach. On board service was excellent - trolley service. Even ice cream was available to purchase. A volunteer from the Settle & Carlisle charity was on hand selling guidebooks, and offering information if requested.

There was a fair smattering of photographers to be seen at various vantage points along the line, and I was amazed at the number of tourist cars parked at the viewing point down below the Ribblehead viaduct.

Yes, it was busy. Certainly a big crowd emerging from all four coaches on alighting both at Appleby and at Skipton on the return (same crowd I assume!)
A group of four (2 adults, 2 Children) tried to occupy seats which were clearly not their reserved seats, but when requested by the booked passengers, they moved off to find the seats which they must have had booked in another coach. On board service was excellent - trolley service. Even ice cream was available to purchase. A volunteer from the Settle & Carlisle charity was on hand selling guidebooks, and offering information if requested.

There was a fair smattering of photographers to be seen at various vantage points along the line, and I was amazed at the number of tourist cars parked at the viewing point down below the Ribblehead viaduct.
Yes I was out yesterday go get some video's particularly with the 37 still being on, yes there were plenty of Normal's out to see the Viaduct yesterday along with the usual Walkers.

xotGD

Established Member
On board service was excellent - trolley service. Even ice cream was available to purchase.
This makes me even less likely to use the service. (I have to confess that I was wavering.) People removing their face coverings to lick their ice creams!

yorksrob

Veteran Member
I'm glad it's doing well.

Nice to see new aspects of the route's potential fulfilled.

43 302

Established Member
This makes me even less likely to use the service. (I have to confess that I was wavering.) People removing their face coverings to lick their ice creams!
You don't need to wear face coverings on this service due to the screens in between each bay of seats. When I did it there was still maybe 40% of people wearing masks though. The 1218 also seems to be by far the busiest.

JBuchananGB

the rule for face coverings seemed to be, wear on station, and while boarding. OK to remove once seated in household group. Wear again when preparing to alight, and while within station environment. This service is not “public transport” within the meaning of the Act. It is a Private Charter.

Murray J

37521 just failed at Blackburn, while operating the 5Z47 Crewe H.S to Appleby Sidings move, of the skipton-appleby stock. according to a user on railcam, 37521 had an electrical issue, with the loco and GSMR shutting down. the stock is now on it's way back to Crewe as 5Z48 with 47593 leading.

Presumably 37521 won't be staying another week after all.

37521 just failed at Blackburn, while operating the 5Z47 Crewe H.S to Appleby Sidings move, of the skipton-appleby stock. according to a user on railcam, 37521 had an electrical issue, with the loco and GSMR shutting down. the stock is now on it's way back to Crewe as 5Z48 with 47593 leading.

Presumably 37521 won't be staying another week after all.

Another 37 being hired off DRS for tomorrow according to what I've read elsewhere. Apologies if that turns out untrue but the source is pally with the senior people at the TOC operating the services.

Status
Not open for further replies.