• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Rail Charter Services to operate loco hauled trains between Skipton & Appleby.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Murray J

Another 37 being hired off DRS for tomorrow according to what I've read elsewhere. Apologies if that turns out untrue but the source is pally with the senior people at the TOC operating the services.
it's 37407, just been seen on railcam with 47593, nice that both locos are in Large Logo.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

matt

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Global Moderator
The first return trip tomorrow is cancelled

railcharterservices on twitter said:
Unfortunately due to a locomotive failure we are having to cancel the 0835 from Skiptkn/0901 from Settle to Appleby on Monday 3/8. All other trains running tp schedule. Passengers booked on this train can travel on any other train they wish to tomorrow in either direction.

matt

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Global Moderator
strange, might be uncancelled now that 37407 is on the way back.
brief return to passenger service for 37407, which previously operated on both the wherry lines and the cumbrian coast line on loco-hauled services.

I'm assuming that it is the same driver this evening and tomorrow morning. If so then there will not be enough break between arriving late tonight and the early start tomorrow morning.

37407 confirmed for 1 day only (Monday) as DRS need it back on Tuesday.

Very limited space remaining onboard but you can turn up and pay on the day. £90 return for a bay of seats (£45 each) to travel on the 1612 Skipton Appleby/1758 Appleby Skipton. Will be a first come first serve and space is limited onboard

Al_feather

After speaking with the director, I can confirm its 37407 tomorrow only. Seats are £90 return for a couple out of Skipton at 1612 ( back from Appleby at 1757). First come, first served I believe.

Any Gen on what might replace 37407 yet? I am hoping 37521 as I am doing the Yorkshire 3 peak walk at the weekend so should get a good view of the train at points.

Murray J

Any Gen on what might replace 37407 yet? I am hoping 37521 as I am doing the Yorkshire 3 peak walk at the weekend so should get a good view of the train at points.
unfortunately not, I personally think either another DRS or Colas 37 or one of the 2 currently available LSL BR Green 47s, 47501 and 47805, both of whih are currently in the Bristol area from recent railtours.

Murray J

just found out actually, 37521 is returning but will be joined by 20107, to provide extra power, just passed Crewe railcams as 0Z20.

Attachments

• 37 head on.png
    37 head on.png
    1.6 MB · Views: 89
  • 37+20 crewe 2.png
    37+20 crewe 2.png
    1.6 MB · Views: 107
  • 37521+20107 thrash and clag.png
    37521+20107 thrash and clag.png
    1.9 MB · Views: 106

xotGD

Established Member
just found out actually, 37521 is returning but will be joined by 20107, to provide extra power, just passed Crewe railcams as 0Z20.
Now they really are aiming for the crank market!

MB162435

Established Member
They've recently announced on Twitter, that Single tickets are now available, following customer feedback and government restrictions being eased

Great to see that they are willing to listen to customers and make improvements where needed

Cowley

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Global Moderator
Now they really are aiming for the crank market!
One of those moments that you regret not living up north...
I’ll just have to imagine the noise while surrounded by my palm trees. :)

yorksrob

Veteran Member
They've recently announced on Twitter, that Single tickets are now available, following customer feedback and government restrictions being eased

Great to see that they are willing to listen to customers and make improvements where needed

Ooh, now that's good news !

From elsewhere seen on the Kirkby Stephen Railcam its 37+47 as before presumably the 20 is a standby loco.

FQTV

Does that mean single as in one direction only or tickets for single travellers?

One direction only; the social distanding guidelines haven't changed sufficiently, presumably - but they may have learned more about the commercial demand.

RuralRambler

I think the numbers spoke for themselves. There was only really the lunchtime Skipton>Appleby>Skipton that would appeal to the casual user - the other alternatives left you with too long a visit at Skipton or Appleby - Skipton was just about OK as it's a big place, but few would want several hours in Appleby. Yes, good for walkers/hikers etc, but that's not the mass market. Much better for customers to have the flexibility to do quicker return trips throughout the day.

I went on it last week and thoroughly enjoyed it. Pretty full, good coaching stock, well organised.

yorksrob

Veteran Member
I saw this train while changing trains at Skipton on Wednesday - looked particularly inviting. Will definitely be making enquiries.

Also, big shout out to whoever's been tending the flowerbeds on platforms 1&2. They look stunning !

MB162435

Established Member
I think the numbers spoke for themselves. There was only really the lunchtime Skipton>Appleby>Skipton that would appeal to the casual user - the other alternatives left you with too long a visit at Skipton or Appleby - Skipton was just about OK as it's a big place, but few would want several hours in Appleby. Yes, good for walkers/hikers etc, but that's not the mass market. Much better for customers to have the flexibility to do quicker return trips throughout the day.

I went on it last week and thoroughly enjoyed it. Pretty full, good coaching stock, well organised.
Glad you enjoyed it, one type of ticket rarely suits everyone so always good to have options available, hopefully the single tickets will further add to the services success

Comment from WNXX would suggest that the 37 is getting the boot next week in favour of 47712:'(

Richard Scott

Established Member
Comment from WNXX would suggest that the 37 is getting the boot next week in favour of 47712:'(
Was off on a trip around the area next week, no intention of doing the train originally but was tempted. Not now!!!

Leyther

The set went back up today
With 47712 47593.
Pictures were posted on the Hellifield Shed24H Facebook page this tea time.

Iskra

Established Member
I’m due on this today but the S&C has had multiple lightning strikes on signalling equipment overnight. Doesn’t sound too promising. Could be a day out in Skipton instead...

I’m due on this today but the S&C has had multiple lightning strikes on signalling equipment overnight. Doesn’t sound too promising. Could be a day out in Skipton instead...
Realtime is showing the ECS leaving Appleby +60 now +56 at Kirkby Stephen

Status
Not open for further replies.