• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Rail Charter Services to operate loco hauled trains between Skipton & Appleby.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Iskra

Established Member
Realtime is showing the ECS leaving Appleby +60 now +56 at Kirkby Stephen

Thanks. In fairness I am one of the later services. It’s just there is more thunder forecast up there all day, so looking touch and go.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Thanks. In fairness I am one of the later services. It’s just there is more thunder forecast up there all day, so looking touch and go.

Indeed looks a tricky day ahead ECS +79 at Gargrave so looks like the first train will be at least an hour late

STEVIEBOY1

Established Member
Nice photos above and enjoy your drink. Did you go into the town, or stay near the Railway Station?

Iskra

Established Member
Nice photos above and enjoy your drink. Did you go into the town, or stay near the Railway Station?

We went to the Midland Hotel, right next to the station. Seemed appropriate on the S&C and it had a nice beer garden. Only had around 50minutes so didn’t want to go far.

xotGD

Established Member
We went to the Midland Hotel, right next to the station. Seemed appropriate on the S&C and it had a nice beer garden. Only had around 50minutes so didn’t want to go far.
With a 47 on each end of the train then shouldn't you be drinking in Spoons?

("Spoon" being one of the many nicknames for 47s)

The one in Skipton isn't too bad, but there are plenty of better options in the town.

Iskra

Established Member
With a 47 on each end of the train then shouldn't you be drinking in Spoons?

("Spoon" being one of the many nicknames for 47s)

The one in Skipton isn't too bad, but there are plenty of better options in the town.

The Woolly Sheep Inn is my prefered Skipton pub due to having Taylors on :)

The 47 on the south end has failed. Going to be using the class 20 today

It had a bit of a hiccup yesterday coming off Ribblehead viaduct. Luckily, I've had that 20 before so I'm not missing out :)

Cowley

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Global Moderator
will 1 x 20 have enough poke for this service up those hills?
I assume it’ll be on the back heading north? Otherwise it’s going to be a very hot little locomotive by the time it gets to Appleby!

DB

I assume it’ll be on the back heading north? Otherwise it’s going to be a very hot little locomotive by the time it gets to Appleby!

Just seen it heading into Skipton and yes, the 20 is on the south end. 47712 on the north.

43 302

Established Member
20107 will operate all day tomorrow now. Planned to be replaced after.

It was certainly entertaining watching the 20 struggling to the summit at Ais Gill on the last run, I gather it had assistance from the 47 on the earlier runs but they only had 1 driver for the last run.

Heard a 40 may come out to play in September...
I will believe that when I see it

According to their Twitter page the 37 will only be on until midweek, presumably it will be a 47 to replace it.

SeanG

This is the only evidence I have for it mind...

Attachments

• Screenshot_20200817_090700_com.facebook.katana.jpg
    Screenshot_20200817_090700_com.facebook.katana.jpg
    834.2 KB · Views: 143

Robnw67

Me and a couple of mates were considering this trip but the tickets are being sold in pairs only, so that would have meant nearly £200 split between 3. Kind of on the expensive side.....

Al_feather

Me and a couple of mates were considering this trip but the tickets are being sold in pairs only, so that would have meant nearly £200 split between 3. Kind of on the expensive side.....
They will sell seats on the train on an individual basis provided it's not full. The fare is between £35 and £39 return per person. The 1218 off Skipton and 1438 from Appleby are usually quite full but the other services normally have room. I sell the tickets on the train so that's how I know!

Newshy37

I did the trip on Saturday with the Mrs, really just for the 37. Absolutely loved it. The nearest thing to time travel. Front bay of 4, windows down and vestibule door open the sound and smells took me back to being 14 again 37117 banking us up to Cowlairs. Importantly not full of pissed loudmouth smart arses. Just 4 people in the front coach.20200815_175729.jpg

ajrm

They will sell seats on the train on an individual basis provided it's not full. The fare is between £35 and £39 return per person. The 1218 off Skipton and 1438 from Appleby are usually quite full but the other services normally have room. I sell the tickets on the train so that's how I know!

That’s interesting / frustrating to hear: I enjoyed my run yesterday but was mightily annoyed when booking online, as a solo traveller, that I was obliged to buy two tickets in the name of social distancing and then I boarded to discover that there were only 9 passengers in the coach and we were all allocated seats cheek by jowl in adjoining bays with lots of fresh air in the rest of the carriage...

Status
Not open for further replies.