• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Rail Charter Services to operate loco hauled trains between Skipton & Appleby.

Status
Not open for further replies.

43 302

Established Member
A new company called Rail Charter Services has been set up to operate a three per day return working between Skipton and Appleby. The service will operate from July 12th untill September 20th. 90 minutes each way. The train will be formed of four ex Greater Anglia Mk3B First Opens and a Mk2 BFK, top and tailed by LSL class 47s. Read more here:

For eight weeks, new entrant to the market, Rail Charter Services, will run trains between Skipton and Appleby from July 12 to September 20.

The trains will be top-and-tailed by LSL Class 47s hauling a rake of four ex-Greater Anglia Mk 3 first open carriages and a Mk2 BFK which is not for public use.

UK: With the coronavirus restrictions significantly impacting on the leisure market, a new company has been established to operate dedicated tourist services on the picturesque Settle & Carlisle line this summer.

1593081259249.png

Last edited:
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Railwaysceptic

Established Member
Not my neck of the woods at all although I was at Ribblehead last September, but I would be interested to hear the opinions of local people as to whether this has any chance of success.

philthetube

Established Member
I wish them luck but I am not sure how it will go, I don't think the full timetable is included in the link, I can't make out the three round trips it mentions.

I can see issues, lack of parking in Skipton being one, I have no idea about Appleby, however I do suspect that the bigger holiday maker flow will be from Appleby.

The web site mentions that there are other locations where similar may happen, I am struggling to think of many where infrastructure and pathing would allow this.

43 302

Established Member
I think this is exactly the type of service that will help draw tourists to the Settle & Carlisle. 47s and Mk3s represents a perfect middle ground for me interms of rolling stock where the current options are a boring commuter train or the occasional railtour that are often expensive, and take up too much time in a day for non-enthusiasts.

sprinterguy

Established Member
That's interesting - I did one of the Skipton - Appleby return trips with 'Tornado' a few years ago; which was a similar operation with air-cons albeit with steam haulage; and thoroughly enjoyed it, and the missus has previously expressed an interest in travelling over the Settle & Carlisle line, so I think this will be worth looking into for the two of us.

Ticket prices sound reasonable and I was looking to take a couple of days off work in early September, which gives some time for the 'new normal' to settle down some more and pubs to find their feet, so I'll be keeping an eye on this. Here's hoping this makes use of the ex-GA mark 3 stock that LSL have started turning out in Intercity livery recently - Would look great with a large logo 47.

Last edited:

ainsworth74

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Global Moderator
Have to say I've thought for a little while that a Jacobite style service might be quite popular and would also help out the Northern service as it could take the pressure of having tour groups on their services. So I would consider this to be a worthwhile endeavour to explore and I wish them well!

FQTV

Have to say I've thought for a little while that a Jacobite style service might be quite popular and would also help out the Northern service as it could take the pressure of having tour groups on their services. So I would consider this to be a worthwhile endeavour to explore and I wish them well!

I agree, and if the pressure on UK leisure resources this coming summer (and possibly for some to come) is as forecast, it could be an almost ‘essential’ service to crowdbust.

I perceive that the difference between The Jacobite and something like this is that the former is often heavily prebooked as part of a defined tour, or taken in as an attraction for those holidaying in the area, whereas the latter, being geographically close to larger centres of population, may find a good market in pure day trippers from home.

I do wonder how the likes of Whitby are going to cope, post 4th July, and some enterprising transport ‘solutions’ could be critical.

yorksrob

Veteran Member
This is definitely a positive step. It can get quite cramped if half the service train is booked out from Settle. Should be plenty of pathing space as well.

STEVIEBOY1

Established Member
This is definitely a positive step. It can get quite cramped if half the service train is booked out from Settle. Should be plenty of pathing space as well.
Yes, last year, I did a trip on the S&C joining a service train at Settle, it was a May Bank holiday weekend, lovely weather, lots of passengers and the train....Just 2 carriages, very cosy!. Hope this new venture is a success, I do wonder if they too could do with having at least 4 carriages though?

STEVIEBOY1

Established Member
I agree, and if the pressure on UK leisure resources this coming summer (and possibly for some to come) is as forecast, it could be an almost ‘essential’ service to crowdbust.

I perceive that the difference between The Jacobite and something like this is that the former is often heavily prebooked as part of a defined tour, or taken in as an attraction for those holidaying in the area, whereas the latter, being geographically close to larger centres of population, may find a good market in pure day trippers from home.

I do wonder how the likes of Whitby are going to cope, post 4th July, and some enterprising transport ‘solutions’ could be critical.
Are you referring to the not very very frequent service trains from Middlesborugh to Whitby? I think I heard once, that in fact more people arrive at Whitby by the NYMR rather than on the scheduled services. I wonder if NYMR will be running this year and if so, if they will be doing all pre booked trains.

43 302

Established Member
Yes, last year, I did a trip on the S&C joining a service train at Settle, it was a May Bank holiday weekend, lovely weather, lots of passengers and the train....Just 2 carriages, very cosy!. Hope this new venture is a success, I do wonder if they too could do with having at least 4 carriages though?
I'm sure they could increase the number of carriages if the demand is high enough. I suspect not for the time being but certainly in the future.

I'm not sure I would see much viability to this pre covid never mind post covid but maybe I will be proved wrong. I suppose there is the argument that there will be more people at home this year for leisure than would be normal, which may be valid, Number of potential passengers is very limited to start but presumably they have done the costing on that basis, if you want to travel on your own them looks like a no go unless maybe you want to buy a pair of tickets. Is it mainly being done because Northern trains will be at reduced capacity because of the social distancing? In fact I gather from elsewhere Northern have welcomed it perhaps for that reason. I wonder how long it will be before one of the Duff's breaks down I gather there will be a spare, although some might say only one:lol:

Last edited:

philthetube

Established Member
Are you referring to the not very very frequent service trains from Middlesborugh to Whitby? I think I heard once, that in fact more people arrive at Whitby by the NYMR rather than on the scheduled services. I wonder if NYMR will be running this year and if so, if they will be doing all pre booked trains.
I suspect that there are a lot more seats arrive vie the NYMR than provided by Northern.

Swimbar

Rail Charter Services promoting Class 47 loco hauled services between Skipton and Appleby this summer.
Full details released today:-
The Settle Carlisle line is one of the most famous lines in the UK and will play host to dedicated socially distanced first-class trains aimed at days out for families after the COVID-19 lockdown.

The classic InterCity coaches feature reclining seats with a private table with large windows.

The service has been backed by Jeremy Hosking, who owns Locomotive Services (TOC) Ltd.

Last edited by a moderator:

alexl92

Established Member
What are they going to do regarding the slamdoors and droplights? Stewards? You'd think Mk4s would be more worthy of consideration for that reason?
I’d imagine there are issues with reforming Mk4s into shorter rakes at short(ish) notice, and you’d have to use a DVT as a brake vehicle which is is platform space occupied by a non-passenger carrying vehicle.

43 302

Established Member
PRM compliance is more lenient with charter operators. I doubt there will be stewards purely to assist with door opening like on the Rhymney Mk2s.

Baxenden Bank

Established Member
If the seats align with the windows and there is plenty of legroom to stretch out and enjoy the views, a definite improvement on a 158+153 combo!

Iskra

Established Member
I get that it's the most interesting bit of the line, but it seems a bit strange stopping at Appleby, surely Carlisle is much better in terms of onwards rail connectivity? Nevertheless, I will endeavour to get a trip on the 47's in.

JonathanH

Veteran Member
I get that it's the most interesting bit of the line, but it seems a bit strange stopping at Appleby, surely Carlisle is much better in terms of onwards rail connectivity? Nevertheless, I will endeavour to get a trip on the 47's in.

The line gets a bit more mundane north of Appleby and it has the facilities to terminate the train. Moreover, you can fit in more round trips in the day.

Baxenden Bank

Established Member
Whilst not wishing to denigrate the Eden Valley, it is less dramatic than the bit 'over the top'.

Its a fair run from Appleby to Carlisle (40 minutes each way) so you wouldn't get the utilisation of the stock, plus I speculate that paths into Carlisle may be more difficult.

You would need barrier vehicles added to the set in order to use Class 47's I believe.
Why would that be seeing as we have 90's connected to MK4's and now 67's for the WAG train? of course its not relevant anyway as they have stated they are using MK3's.

yorksrob

Veteran Member

Indeed. Always worth having a spare - particularly since there are so many coming off line at the moment.

hexagon789

Veteran Member
Why would that be seeing as we have 90's connected to MK4's and now 67's for the WAG train? of course its not relevant anyway as they have stated they are using MK3's.

Because 90s have buckeyes, 47s don't perhaps and I think the outer end of the TOE is buckeye only, not a drophead

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.