• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Rail companies in UK

Status
Not open for further replies.

Manchego

Hi, a few months ago I took the tests to be a train driver for East Midlands trains and although I passed the national pass-mark, I didn't reach East Midlands trains higher pass-mark. I am still keen to be a train driver but I don't know any other companies/depots near me (& googling train companies in the East Midlands brings up East Midlands Trains surprisingly lol)
I live in Mansfield, Nottinghamshire
Any help would be much appreciated

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Tomnick

Established Member
Northern, at Doncaster or Sheffield, are worth keeping an eye on if you're within 45 minutes of either.

trentside

Established Member
Fares Advisor
There's also a Transpennine Express depot at Sheffield.

Not much recruitment of the freight side at the moment, but there are depots in the Doncaster area. Quite a number made redundant on freight recently though.

Andy-mc

Unlucky bud
As said Sheff and Donny are your best bets

After 2 years I think your psychometric test results expire so you'd probably get another crack at going for it again at some point.

If you haven't already id look at getting a role on the railway anyway, as although it isn't crucial a little railway experience will help you in the later stages if you do get another chance at going for it

Manchego

Thanks guys, i really appreciate your help. I will have a look into those suggestions - Donny might be a bit too far but I could get to Sheffield in 45mins at a stretch. Does anyone know if theres a firm that operates out of Newark area or am I totally wrong?

Andy-mc

Thanks guys, i really appreciate your help. I will have a look into those suggestions - Donny might be a bit too far but I could get to Sheffield in 45mins at a stretch. Does anyone know if theres a firm that operates out of Newark area or am I totally wrong?

Newark is east mids and virgin east coast although there are no depots as far as I'm aware

JCLeeds

Unlucky with your results. If it's any consolation I was in the same boat - got a borderline pass on one of the tests, not good enough for my TOC, 3 years ago. Retook the tests privately, (have to wait 6 months), failed one of those new style tests, took that again after waiting another 6 months, then had all tests in the bag, waited for my local depot to recruit again. Had to take interview again, passed that again, I'm now 1 week into my course.

The good news for you is its not a fail; and you will only need to retake that one test again, not any that you have previously passed, and it doesn't count towards one of your 2 'strikes'.
Also good is that the test results stand for quite a long time, it varies from TOCs but I have heard from 2-5 years mentioned.
You can retake the tests privately if you need - contact DBS in Donny though you will have to wait those 6 months. This 'may' help at sift stage of applications- the TOC knows they won't have to pay for your tests or find you a spot on test day. (You will never know if that had an effect though if you get an interview!)
Loads of Northern recruitment happening at Sheffield over the next year. Watch the Northern page every day after your six months. And I do mean every day. And don't trust the alerts.
Good luck

W230

Established Member
I noticed this on the EMT website yesterday:

The first thing to know about our driver recruitment is that we do not recruit directly into Mainline Driver roles if you do not already hold a licence to drive trains. If you’re not a qualified driver already you need to keep your eyes peeled for Depot Driver roles.

So it does look like Northern may be your best bet for now at least!

Status
Not open for further replies.