• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Rail enthusiast lingo

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

xotGD

Established Member
A service booked for a 'Vomit Comet' could be described as a Pukex.

61653 HTAFC

Veteran Member
I always understood "Vomit Comet" (on the railway to least) to mean any late night service that carried drunks home from the more popular nightspots, rather than any particular class of unit.

75A

Established Member
I always understood "Vomit Comet" (on the railway to least) to mean any late night service that carried drunks home from the more popular nightspots, rather than any particular class of unit.
In the 80's the all night Victoria to Brighton trains were very well known for the content on the floor on arrival in Brighton

D6130

Established Member
In the 80's the all night Victoria to Brighton trains were very well known for the content on the floor on arrival in Brighton
Tell me about it....I often had to wade through it on arrival in Brighton. I had great sympathy for the poor cleaners!

cadder toad

Great Way Round was mentioned above... Ellofamess is another. I like 'Plug Duff'!. Some people used to refer to a William' but they're not about so much now

Ashley Hill

Established Member
The Vomit Comet 153s I referred to were called as such because of the insipid orange livery they carried.
I expect Shove Duff (47/7s) and Bagpipes (33/1s) have already been mentioned.

Pigeon

My Lords! This thread is dreadful!

I thought that the 'Spoon' nickname for 47s came from the shape of their power handle? I always preferred 'Joseph' as a nickname for them. Now who else knows the origin of that?

Never heard that one myself. The immortal Mr Deacon? But surely if so it would have been better applied to the Class 31?

Re "Empress" for Class 40s - someone should have given the name "Empress of Ireland" to D322.

I have a fond memory of seeing some graffiti in the bog of a Mk1 - "50030 PLYMOUTH-EDINBURGH SHEER HELL" altered by some subsequent writer to "...SHEER RANCIDITY". It amused me to imagine the puzzlement of Bert and Ada failing to understand that the two writers were expressing opposite opinions.

Status
Not open for further replies.