• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Rail Enthusiasts and Sexual Orientation

What's your sexual orientation?

• Bisexual

Votes: 14 8.4%
  • Gay

Votes: 22 13.3%
  • Straight

Votes: 113 68.1%
  • Other

Votes: 17 10.2%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

AlterEgo

Veteran Member
I'm not sure if there's ever been a poll on this before.

Hypothesis: I've often wondered what it is about railway enthusiasm that attracts an above average proportion of LGBT+ people - particularly men.

I wonder if that's an illusion, or if that's a true observation of mine?

Please do vote in the poll and discuss the findings or your observations etc below. Play nicely!

This poll focuses on sexuality rather than gender. The inclusion of "Other" is simply to save space and isn't intended to deny anyone their visibility.

The poll is anonymous.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

TheEdge

Established Member
I sexually identify as an attack helicopter and am only attracted to Hellfire missiles. I love the feeling of them on my hardpoints.

DarloRich

Veteran Member
I am a lesbian trapped in a mans body. Except at weekends when i am a man trapped in a lesbians body. It is all very confusing.

Adlington

BTW, what's "other" in this context? Celibate? No sex drive whatsoever? Zoophiliac?

Last edited:

Busaholic

Veteran Member
If I said I was butting out of this one it might be taken the wrong way.

Y961 XBU

Interesting that this poll is showing a huge lead for Straight people as Bus spotters seem to be mostly Gay or Bi

TheNewNo2

Wow, that is a whole lot of offensive commentary in the posts here.

I consider myself pansexual, as in I do not have a gender restriction. Some would argue that pansexual falls under bisexual, but to me bisexual means men and women while pansexual means any gender identity.

I should also note that while pansexuality means I don't restrict myself by gender, that doesn't necessarily mean I don't have a preference.

GusB

Established Member
Associate Staff
Buses & Coaches
Wow, that is a whole lot of offensive commentary in the posts here.

I consider myself pansexual, as in I do not have a gender restriction. Some would argue that pansexual falls under bisexual, but to me bisexual means men and women while pansexual means any gender identity.

I should also note that while pansexuality means I don't restrict myself by gender, that doesn't necessarily mean I don't have a preference.

I don't think the poll has enough options to be honest, but where do you draw the line? In my day it was just a straight choice between LGB or not. Then the T was added. Now we're onto LGBTQI+!

Having watched the recent BBC3 Queer Britain series, I have to say that I had my eyes opened.

The commentary in this thread isn't particularly offensive as far as I'm concerned.

Parallel

Established Member
I don't think the poll has enough options to be honest, but where do you draw the line? In my day it was just a straight choice between LGB or not. Then the T was added. Now we're onto LGBTQI+!

It's difficult because I think it's largely a scale. Other options I'd certainly have on the list would 'Asexual' and 'Pansexual'. But then you can have sub orientations under those, e.g. Gay Asexual whereby a male would be romantically invested in men but without sexual desires (for males or indeed any other genders or orientations).

Strathclyder

Established Member
Since I'm quite open with my sexuality in real life (although am not overtly blatant about it), I'll just come right out (ha) and say that I chose the 'Gay' option, since that's where I fall on the LGBT spectrum, both romantically and sexually.

I struggled horribly with my sexual identity for a number of years, which lead to several mental health issues. Thankfully, with the help of fiercely loyal friends & family, I eventually pulled through and started accepting myself for who I was. Dunno what I would have done without them...

Last edited:

61653 HTAFC

Veteran Member
It's difficult because I think it's largely a scale. Other options I'd certainly have on the list would 'Asexual' and 'Pansexual'. But then you can have sub orientations under those, e.g. Gay Asexual whereby a male would be romantically invested in men but without sexual desires (for males or indeed any other genders or orientations).

Then there's even "demisexual" which in short-hand is not quite asexual but with less of a sexual drive than the average, though with the possibility of intimacy with the right partner for that person. I personally identify as a bi-romantic demisexual male, as I can form intimate emotional attachments with either males or females (with a bias towards females) but I don't have a particularly high sex drive, and sexual desire tends not to be a conscious driver of my romantic "endeavours". Naturally I selected "other" in the poll.

Last edited:

TheEdge

Established Member
Then there's even "demisexual" which in short-hand is not quite asexual but with less of a sexual drive than the average, though with the possibility of intimacy with the right partner for that person. I personally identify as a bi-romantic demisexual male, as I can form intimate emotional attachments with either males or females (with a bias towards females) but I don't have a particularly high sex drive, and sexual desire tends not to be a conscious driver of my romantic "endeavours". Naturally I selected "other" in the poll.

So how is that different to bisexual with a low libido?

Also, how is pansexual different to bisexual? Surely they both mean "anything goes"

Beyond straight, gay, bisexual and asexual I really don't get what all the rest are, most of them seem to just be more and more niche definitions of something which would fall under bisexuality. They seem to be like me calling myself hetrogingersexual as I like girls but have a thing for redheads.

najaB

Veteran Member
Also, how is pansexual different to bisexual? Surely they both mean "anything goes".
Lexicographically speaking, bisexual refers to someone who is attracted to exactly two genders. Pansexual acknowledges that there are more than two gender identities.

w0033944

Since I'm quite open with my sexuality in real life (although am not overtly blatant about it), I'll just come right out (ha) and say that I chose the 'Gay' option, since that's where I fall on the LGBT spectrum, both romantically and sexually.

I struggled horribly with my sexual identity for a number of years, which lead to several mental health issues. Thankfully, with the help of fiercely loyal friends & family, I eventually pulled through and started accepting myself for who I was. Dunno what I would have done without them...

I'm glad to hear that things are better for you now.

Cowley

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Global Moderator
They seem to be like me calling myself hetrogingersexual as I like girls but have a thing for redheads.

I've now got myself a label. Although it's only my other half actually so would I be a monohetrogingersexual?

Status
Not open for further replies.