• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Rail firms should not be paid when trains run late, says Grant Shapps

Status
Not open for further replies.
Just make delay repay more punitive. There are a myriad of reasons a train is late but it is not always the TOCs fault. At the moment for a 60 min delay you get your money back. Make it 20 minutes. If the delay is not the TOCs fault they should have a facility to claim back from whoever caused the delay in the first place.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

StaffsWCML

Nonsense from the BoJo circus. Let's hope they're gone by Christmas.

And the Corbyn circus would be much better?! :lol:

If we nationalise as per the opposition polcity we will be at the mercy of Mick Cash. A joyous thought.

Horizon22

Established Member
Associate Staff
Jobs & Careers
There used to be a great graphic on (I think) the Network Rail site with pie chart's for each TOC on reasoning for delay such as TOC-on-self, TOC-on-TOC, Network Rail, External (freak weather etc.) but can't find it now.

Anyway not much point as delay attribution is already a big washing machine of money anyway between NR and TOCs.

matacaster

On Moderation
I have sometimes been pleased when a train is delayed, otherwise I would have missed it!

DynamicSpirit

Established Member
Just make delay repay more punitive. There are a myriad of reasons a train is late but it is not always the TOCs fault. At the moment for a 60 min delay you get your money back. Make it 20 minutes. If the delay is not the TOCs fault they should have a facility to claim back from whoever caused the delay in the first place.

That would make falling ill on a train an expensive business - if the unfortunate patient ends up hundreds of thousands of pounds in debt due to having to foot the bill for everyone else's delayed journey! So maybe not such a good idea!

On the other hand, could be quite a disincentive to vandals and trespassers... ;)

DarloRich

Veteran Member
TOCs are already heavily penalised for poor performances in more recent franchise awards drawn up on targets set by clueless civil servants, but new government ministers have to leave their paw prints and be heard. If they don't have anything useful to say, they will just make empty statements like these.

Any exposure and publicity is a good one for the minister. Maximum visibility and zero responsibility.

I wouldn't pay any attention to it.

Just some headline grabbing spin to deflect attention from the mess they are making of Brexit.

Empty vessels make the most noise - this is just cheap publicity which makes the minister look like he is doing something when actually he isnt doing anything. I wonder what Michael Green or Sebastian Fox make of this idea?

PomWombat

Grant Schapps ran a self-initiated group called the British Infrastructure Group, http://www.britishinfrastructuregroup.uk/about-big/

It seemed like a way to inflate his own importance, allowing him to jump on to whatever populist issue looked appealing. It started out attacking broadband,but made similarly simplistic assumptions about a complex problem

Djgr

Established Member
And the Corbyn circus would be much better?! :lol:

If we nationalise as per the opposition polcity we will be at the mercy of Mick Cash. A joyous thought.

Anything to get rid of the bus bandits mate.

Chrisgr31

Established Member
I have sometimes been pleased when a train is delayed, otherwise I would have missed it!

And so have I. However more usually when I am a minute or two late its on time. If I have to wait for a train when its delayed, why cant it wait for me when I am delayed? :D:E:lol:

Panupreset

How about we make it a level playing field and force the same thing on airlines, ferry operators, bus companies and the highways agency. Just a thought

matt_world2004

Established Member
How about we make it a level playing field and force the same thing on airlines, ferry operators, bus companies and the highways agency. Just a thought

If they have a contract with the goverment to provide those services specified sure.

By and large the concession model works in London. Giving the operator 10% of ticket revenue, a fixed fee and fines for service failing (£150 a minute) I believe for MTR. Even though not all delays are the operator responcibility. The way they recover the service is.

Last edited:

Class 170101

Established Member
If they have a contract with the goverment to provide those services specified sure.

By and large the concession model works in London. Giving the operator 10% of ticket revenue, a fixed fee and fines for service failing (£150 a minute) I believe for MTR. Even though not all delays are the operator responcibility. The way they recover the service is.

But potentially it has changed the why NR operates and which operator it gives preference to in service recovery and daily service operations performance.

Status
Not open for further replies.