Rail forums.co.uk redirecting to wiserapps.site false virus alerts

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by dmncf, 27 Dec 2017.

1. dmncf

dmncf Member

For the past week while browsing Railforums.co.uk using the Internet browser on my Samsung Galaxy J5 phone I have on a few occasions been redirected to wiserapps.site and bombarded with pop-up messages telling me that my phone is severely infected with viruses and encouraging me to download their anti-virus software. It's not possible to navigate back from this site and I have to close my browser.

I am only experiencing this issue on Railforums.co.uk and not any other website. Is anyone else experiencing this issue? Is something wrong with my phone or something wrong with Railforums.co.uk?

2. Registered users do not see these banners - join or log in today!

Rail Forums

3. pdq

pdq Member

+1. I've also had something similar, except mine is to tell me I've won a prize. Again, only pops up from this website.

4. Lrd

Lrd Established Member

It'll be an ad misbehaving

5. Class465fan

Class465fan Member

I am also Experiencing the same problem and it's rather annoying.

6. pdq

pdq Member

Screenshot_20171227-220841.png For info - this is the pop-up I'm getting - dots changed to avoid the address becoming a hyperlink.
    http:// google dot com-uk2-wow2-lucky-visitor-giveaways dot rgshark dot com followed by a very long code.

7. GaryMcEwan

GaryMcEwan Established Member

I'm getting this as well on my Samsung Note 8. It's usually some sort of spam advert telling me that I've won a prize.

8. Groningen

Groningen Established Member

No problems in the Netherlands. With that i mean my own PC.

9. roversfan2001

roversfan2001 Established Member

I've had no issues with this site for months on either my phone or laptop.

10. Temple Meads

Temple Meads Established Member

I'm getting this on my Android phone using Chrome.

Last edited: 28 Dec 2017
  11. Jona26

Jona26 Member

Ditto on my Samsung

12. Mojo

Mojo Administrator Staff Member Administrator

Unfortunately I cannot verify this as I don’t own an Android or know anyone who does, and the screenshot doesn’t help. If someone could link or provide details of pages it appears on, as well as Ad banners that appear at the time, then I can have them removed by Google.

Have run a few tools to check site security and nothing comes up (Google are also quite proactive in eMailing if any vulnerabilities found).

13. pdq

pdq Member

Thanks for looking into it, Mojo. The problem is that the pop-up doesn't open in a new tab, and it seems to be impossible to get back to the original page in order to see what ad was there. I guess we all get different ads as well - the ones on this page as I type on my PC are for a shop selling shoes, that I visited yesterday, and for a Norwegian airline (that one's a mystery).

14. skyhigh

skyhigh Member

Same here on Android - random adverts that take up the full page and you can't go back without closing the tab. It seems to be happening on random pages.

15. Temple Meads

Temple Meads Established Member

Navigating back clears them for me!

16. Jona26

Jona26 Member

This doesn't work on my Android Samsung phone using Chrome.

Only way out is to close the browser and re-open.

17. dmncf

dmncf Member

Mojo, thanks for looking into this.

I just had it happen on my other Samsung phone and took a photo of the history afterwards. The first page I was redirected to appears to be rgshark.com

As pdq says, it doesn't seem possible to go back to see what advert might have caused the redirection, firstly because the same advert might not be displayed and secondly because if it was it would redirect you off the page. Sorry I can't be more helpful.

18. dmncf

dmncf Member

If others have screenshots they wish to upload, they may be able to add them to the media album titled "Images of being redirected out of Railforums" and then include those screenshot in a post. This is definitely stretching my technical ability at using the forum! :)

19. GusB

GusB Established Member

I tend not to browse on my phone at home, but when I've been using my phone in the pub occasionally I've been diverted to a Talktalk page warning me of potential viruses or malware. I'm assuming that the same thing is happening, just that the pub's ISP is intervening. I'll try to note the URL it was trying to send me to if it happens again.

20. talldave

talldave Established Member

I've been getting redirects on my Android tablet - three times on the same Fares Advice thread within a couple of minutes. It's done in such a way that the "back" buffer is cleared so you're forced to close the browser window. As others have noted, this makes logging the contents of the source page impossible. 20171228_221625.png

21. tbtc

tbtc Veteran Member

I've had the same problem - but couldn't track down where it was coming from - so it's reassuring to see others are more switched on than I am!

I'll try to get a screen-shot next time (but what others have had looks similar)

22. pdq

pdq Member

Ironically, it's just happened to me off this very page. This time I got the 'your phone is infected' version rather than the prizewinner.

23. J-2739

J-2739 Established Member

It's gshark all over again :rolleyes:

24. E_Reeves

E_Reeves Established Member

I get the same problem and mine is usually a site telling me I've won an ASDA voucher. Usually happens when I click on the thread sections (Traction and Rolling Stock for example). I'm unable to navigate back so I have to close the tab. My internet usually blocks it but sometimes it slips through. I hope it gets fixed - rather annoying!

25. skyhigh

skyhigh Member

26. Peter Mugridge

Peter Mugridge Established Member

I just ran a "whois" search on that and it's a Chinese site, so I'd definitely be wary of it. Can the forum staff block individual sites off the adverts?

Failing that, I guess those of us who run blacklists can block this shark lot individually...?

https://www.whois.com/whois/rgshark.com

27. E_Reeves

Okay, so I'm barely able to navigate to any thread or forum section due to this. I hope it gets sorted soon :(

28. BlueFox

BlueFox Member

It's easy enough to do via Google Adsense (I think all the site's ads come from there), the url just needs to be added to a block list, so an administrator with access to the Adsense site should be able to do it.

I've not seen this happen on my Android phone.

29. E_Reeves

What browser are you using?

30. BlueFox

BlueFox Member

Chrome

31. E_Reeves

Oh I'm using the built in browser. That may be why. I'm having virus alert websites now with constant vibrations and pop ups which are extremely hard to get rid of. Here are some screenshots.

Attached Files: