• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Rail forums.co.uk redirecting to wiserapps.site false virus alerts

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mojo

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Administrator
It's easy enough to do via Google Adsense (I think all the site's ads come from there), the url just needs to be added to a block list, so an administrator with access to the Adsense site should be able to do it.

I've not seen this happen on my Android phone.
It is possible to block a URL, but only if it can be identified which the Ad banner is that Google believes the Ad links to. Unfortunately, I somewhat doubt that the Spam Ad in question actually links to the site that Android customers are being redirected to!

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

BlueFox

It is possible to block a URL, but only if it can be identified which the Ad banner is that Google believes the Ad links to. Unfortunately, I somewhat doubt that the Spam Ad in question actually links to the site that Android customers are being redirected to!

Maybe it's not, but blocking rgshark.com isn't going to do any harm.
If I can make the popup appear on my phone I'll look into it.

takno

Established Member
Is it possible to put AdBlock Plus onto a mobile phone?
You can use Firefox on Android and install an ad-blocker (uBlock Origin is better that AdBlock Plus if you do). Personally I find Firefox's poor performance on Android nearly as annoying as ads but YMMV.

Either way, for most users of Android if you can install and use Chrome instead of the built-in browser you will probably find it faster, more fully featured, and it's likely to include a bunch of security updates that the built-in browser hasn't received.

Peter Mugridge

Veteran Member
Mine has Chrome, but people up the thread were saying they had this issue with Chrome on their Android powered mobiles.

takno

Established Member
Mine has Chrome, but people up the thread were saying they had this issue with Chrome on their Android powered mobiles.
I doubt Chrome will solve this problem, it's just generally good advice to use it instead of the built-in browser.

fishquinn

Established Member
Associate Staff
Quizmaster
Had this occur to me yesterday while viewing a conversation from a smartphone. rgshark as others have been experiencing.

A Challenge

Established Member
If you are on a laptop or computer (tablet etc but not phone) it may be worth holding the back arrow (long press) to bring up yhe previous 10and selecting the last railforums page and screenshotting the banner ads. Maybe also note the redirect path. I'm not having a problem, else I'd do it.

Highlandspring

Established Member
Same thing happening for me, it occurs every time I view the forums on my Galaxy A3. I've not had it happen on any other website.

Attachments

• IMG_0741.PNG
    IMG_0741.PNG
    100 KB · Views: 32

DaveHarries

Established Member
I get these popups occasionally but only when surfing certain sites on my phone: doesn't happen on my PC.

Dave

westcoaster

Established Member
Im using an android tab, i hve a slight issue on this site.

When I load up a page every now and then the whole page freezes, and a message comes up saying the website is unresponsive. The only thing different is there is no add at the top of the page like normal.

Peter Mugridge

Veteran Member
I used the forum quite a few times on my Android powered phone today during the great Mk5 chase, fully expecting a re-direct, but it didn't happen. I wonder if that might be because I'm using the mobile network ( Vodafone ) rather than wi-fi?

GaryMcEwan

Established Member
It's just redirected me again. When I opened up the Reading Buses thread it loaded up I'd almost immediately.

This is what I got...

open

pt_mad

Established Member
It's gshark all over again :rolleyes:

I keep having this problem too. Every day when in the Rail Forum only. On Chrome on android.

The first URL it redirects to is sl.rgshark.com

JS2739, can you tell us what rgshark did before? As you mentioned all over again.

yorkie

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Administrator
I think what's needed is a more responsible alternative to Google, who do not appear to be doing enough about these sort of issues.

Feel free to contact the forum's technology team directly (the best way to do this is via the Contact Us form) and/or Google directly if you have any concerns that you think they should know about.

I believe this only applies to users of Android devices using Chrome.

https://airsoft-forums.uk/index.php?/topic/38955-popups-to-malicious-websites/
I haven’t experienced these popups in this forum, but a different forum I use has occasional surges of similar popups.

The admins there traced many of them to specific advertisers which accounted for the sudden surges.

The culprits in that case are some pushy advertisers and their choice of adverts

https://www.speedsolving.com/forum/threads/being-led-off-to-scam-site-when-i-go-on-here.67845/
I have speedsolving as one of my tabs and occasionally I have been led off to a site called rg.shark which then goes through some strange stuff so i can't just go back, it then has offered me stuff such as the new iPhone X for beta testing and it has told me there is a virus on my phone and to click here to remove it, both are clearly scams, do any of the moderators know anything about this?

https://xenforo.com/community/threads/reports-of-malicious-ads.140065/
We're experiencing the same issue (I actually found your site when googling for it).

I've not experienced it myself but our users who have managed to identify that rgshark.com was involved somehow which led me to finding the same info on your site.

Searching our adsense account, there're no hits for rgshark.com so I'm somewhat stumped how to proceed. We've reported it to Adsense but the last time they had an ad like this it took months to get it removed and we can't even identify the ad to block it
https://z4-forum.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=1&p=1500557
I'm almost certain it's a dodgy ad misbehaving from your as supplier but I couldn't get back to see what it might have been causing it.

I had a quick search up on "rgshark" and there's other forums experiencing the same issues so might be worth checking to see what ad suppliers they use
http://www.alfaowner.com/Forum/the-ao-bug-lounge/1129594-malware-redirect.html
I access this forum via Chrome for Android.

Every so often, when opening a thread, it will redirect to an 'rgshark.com' address that then displays some spam/fraud promotion about my phone either having won a prize or containing malware. It then wants me to install their Android app, which of course I'm not going to do.
http://www.androidpolice.com/2017/11/08/heres-protect-rogue-redirect-ads-right-now-chrome/
Earlier today, Google formally announced a feature that would keep rogue advertisements from taking over the browser and redirecting you to another page. We've been battling these ads ourselves (as documented here, here, here, and so on), as they have often infiltrated even 'safe' ad networks like Google AdSense.

The company said the feature would go live in Chrome 64, which is currently in the Canary and Dev channels, and not expected to be completed until January 2018. Surprisingly, the feature is already built into Chrome (even the stable version), you just have to turn it on.

The process only involves toggling a flag in Chrome's settings to 'Enabled,' and it works on both desktop and mobile. Just copy chrome://flags/#enable-framebusting-needs-sameorigin-or-usergesture and paste it in the address bar (you can't click/tap on it due to security concerns). Then just tap/click the highlighted dropdown menu, change it to 'Enabled,' and restart the browser when asked.

Last edited:

Clip

Established Member
The delays at leeds thread has a redirect on it at 1752

GusB

Established Member
Associate Staff
Buses & Coaches
Thanks for your message, but it is not on specific threads, it is an issue to do with outdated Android software. This website has details regarding a setting that customers can use to stop this from happening: http://www.androidpolice.com/2017/11/08/heres-protect-rogue-redirect-ads-right-now-chrome/
I've been having the same issue on my phone, but it's not an outdated version of Android. No issues at on my Nexus 7 however, and it is an older version! I'll certainly give that fix a go though as the issue has been driving me insane. Thanks @Mojo.

Lrd

Established Member
I've been having the same issue on my phone, but it's not an outdated version of Android. No issues at on my Nexus 7 however, and it is an older version! I'll certainly give that fix a go though as the issue has been driving me insane. Thanks @Mojo.
It's not an outdated version of Android. It's a Chrome issue

pt_mad

Established Member
Surely it's a rail forum issue to some extent as it only seems to happen on this site?

I experience it only on rail forum and not when I'm on any other site at all. So something on this site is triggering this rgshark to redirect me.

yorkie

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Administrator
Surely it's a rail forum issue to some extent as it only seems to happen on this site?

I experience it only on rail forum and not when I'm on any other site at all. So something on this site is triggering this rgshark to redirect me.
This is incorrect. I refer you to my post above.

Mojo

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Administrator
It's not an outdated version of Android. It's a Chrome issue
It was supposed to be a subtle dig at Android ;)

Although the issue doesn’t appear to exist on real computers using Chrome, only mobile devices.

Status
Not open for further replies.