• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Rail Freight Flows and News UK

oddiesjack

Does anybody know anything about this tonight:
Sorry if it’s already been mentioned but Freightliner are running a Jumbo test train on Tuesday night. 21:21 from Tunstead to Crewe. 40 loaded vehicles (4000 tonnes) Class 70 hauled (spare 66 but not hauling). Running via Northenden and Middlewich. Banked from Tunstead to Great Rocks.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Bob figgis

Looks to be running as 6Z88 and going to Wembley Yard. It has been timed with a trailing load of 2400 tonnes. Although it was close on 20 minutes late leaving Tunstead is has arrived at Crewe right time.

Last edited:

ExRes

Established Member
Looks to be running as 6Z88 and going to Wembley Yard. It has been timed with a trailing load of 2400 tonnes. Although it was close on 20 minutes late leaving Tunstead is has arrived at Crewe right time.

Shown on WNXX this morning as 2121 6Z88 Tunstead Sidings to Wembley Rec 1-7 hauled by 70017 with 66620 as insurance, 20 MWAs (box) and 19 HIAs (hoppers), the slight delay was due to the need to be banked up the incline at Peak Forest, it was then 8 early through Crewe and 68 early into Wembley, the return is scheduled to depart Wembley at 1717

Last edited:

Adrian Barr

Shown on WNXX this morning as 2121 6Z88 Tunstead Sidings to Wembley Rec 1-7 hauled by 70017 with 66620 as insurance, 20 MWAs (box) and 19 HIAs (hoppers), the slight delay was due to the need to be banked up the incline at Peak Forest, it was then 8 early through Crewe and 68 early into Wembley, the return is scheduled to depart Wembley at 1717
The boxes went to Stewarts Lane with the 70, and the hoppers to Paddington New Yard with the 66

Chingy

Interesting as I always thought the London area was supplied with aggregate from the Mendip quarries, via Acton.

DBS92042

Established Member
I think the London Gateway - East Midlands Gateway intermodal service was started to provide additional capacity in the run up to Christmas, which is one of the busiest times of the year for container traffic. There was also the situation with additional imports due to pre-Brexit stockpiling and so on.

Looking at DB's twitter today, an additional Felixstowe - East Midlands Gateway service has started running:

Outward working: 10:59 East Midlands Gateway - Felixstowe

Return working: 01:11 Felixstowe - East Mids Gateway
Thank you very much for that. It also makes sense as to why it hasn't run at all this year, which is a shame as DB intermodals workings aren't very common on the south end of the WCML in daylight

furnessvale

Established Member
Interesting as I always thought the London area was supplied with aggregate from the Mendip quarries, via Acton.
Peak district limestone serves several terminals in the London area and even gets as far south as Southampton.

BR 45111

First run last night of a new scrap metal flow .
66192 6V33 1606 Hendon No 1 Siding - Cardiff Tidal consisting of 26 MBA’s .
Regards
Marcus

mwmbwls

It's a pity that their video looks like 2 big locos pulling 7 wagons...
I don't think that we, admirers of rail freight and its rolling stock, are necessarily Network Rail's target audience in this case.

stantheman

On Moderation
Thanks for adding that Mark I had to look it up to see where it was .
Wasn’t there a flow recently from the docks at Sunderland and what was it ?

Is Hendon no 1 actually in the docks or on the main line ? Reason for the question is I see Grand Central sometimes appear as ECS moves .

Last edited:

Freightmaster

Established Member
Is Hendon no 1 actually in the docks or on the main line ?
You're thinking about Ryhope Grange sidings, which are on the other side of the line to the docks branch.

Reason for the question is I see Grand Central sometimes appear as ECS moves .
Despite being booked to run down to the Docks, the ecs moves actually stable in Ryhope Grange sidings.

MARK

AY1975

Established Member
AIUI 775m trains were already running to/from Southampton Maritime, the main Freightliner terminal. They still have to be split anyway, because the container handling area is only half that length, and as far as I can see the latest track changes are to do with making more track and siding space available for sorting trains out on arrival or departure.

There have also been changes made to the signalling of the Western Docks access, I think that also allows for longer trains in that part of the docks.
Southampton Maritime is often referred to as Southampton Freightliner terminal or Southampton MCT. I presume the latter stands for Southampton Maritime Container Terminal?

swt_passenger

Veteran Member
Southampton Maritime is often referred to as Southampton Freightliner terminal or Southampton MCT. I presume the latter stands for Southampton Maritime Container Terminal?
Yes I think that’s the long name, Southampton Maritime Container Terminal, (MCT) is the main operation on the down side between Millbrook and Redbridge. However there is also a separate small Freightliner Terminal on the up side at Millbrook.

The other FOCs usually operate from more ‘ad hoc’ facilities in the Western Docks, I think it’s only MCT that has the massive new overhead handling gantries.

Romsey

Yes I think that’s the long name, Southampton Maritime Container Terminal, (MCT) is the main operation on the down side between Millbrook and Redbridge. However there is also a separate small Freightliner Terminal on the up side at Millbrook.

The other FOCs usually operate from more ‘ad hoc’ facilities in the Western Docks, I think it’s only MCT that has the massive new overhead handling gantries.
That's correct, the MCT had new cranes erected about 5 years ago. The MCT is only meant to deal with import and export traffic. Special permission is required for domestic traffic to be handled at the MCT. ( That includes traffic arriving or leaving the port complex by road to reach other parts of the docks.) I think that may be a requirement as it was built on land reclaimed by ABP.

Millbrook was the original container terminal in Southampton and was originally built for domestic traffic. Recently it has been used as an overspill for the MCT and there are FL Intermodal office staff based there.

swt_passenger

Veteran Member
That's correct, the MCT had new cranes erected about 5 years ago. The MCT is only meant to deal with import and export traffic. Special permission is required for domestic traffic to be handled at the MCT. ( That includes traffic arriving or leaving the port complex by road to reach other parts of the docks.) I think that may be a requirement as it was built on land reclaimed by ABP.

Millbrook was the original container terminal in Southampton and was originally built for domestic traffic. Recently it has been used as an overspill for the MCT and there are FL Intermodal office staff based there.
I had a look at a weeks worth of RTT and didn’t find any obvious traffic in or out of the Millbrook terminal, does anyone know if it should have its own location and timing point in RTT?

FrodshamJnct

Established Member
Does anybody know why the return timber working from Chirk to Carlisle has switched to going through Chester? It usually goes back to Carlisle through Shrewsbury and Crewe then up the WCML. Departs Chirk 23:20. Woke me up last night!

Freightmaster

Established Member
I had a look at a weeks worth of RTT and didn’t find any obvious traffic in or out of the Millbrook terminal, does anyone know if it should have its own location and timing point in RTT?
Regular traffic from Millbrook stopped a couple of years ago - all Freightliner trains are now booked to serve the MCT.

MARK

Romsey

Yes it does have a separate TIPLOC, timing location and TOPS location number.

It was used a few times before Christmas, but I haven't been past there by rail since the start of the lockdown to see what is in there.

On a different thread ( or is it splinter?) the possibility of new timber traffic on the West Highland Line.
https://dailybusinessgroup.co.uk/2021/03/milestone-reached-in-shifting-timber-from-road-to-rail/

Oxfordblues

Just curious,,I am under the impression that railfreight is no longer permitted over the Forth bridge? Therefore if freight comes down the ecml, it has to go via Perth and Stirling?
No. 6K25 the 21:19 Millerhill to Laurencekirk has just crossed the bridge.

waverley47

Thanks! I honestly was under that assumption, so if freight flows were to increase down the ecml, they're clear to cross. Ace! Thanks for clearing that up!

The freight flows thing is somewhat truez but for different reasons.

Firstly ant freight going across the bridge has the trouble of fitting into a wide variety of stopping and express paths along the two line section, with far lower marginal speeds for freight across the bridge. From memory, it's 20/55 across, which is quite a lot time to cross what is a very busy, and about five miles long, two track section.

There are also no loops from Dalmeny (short but in both directions) until after the junction at Inverkeithing (up on the Kirkcaldy line, and down in the Dunfermline direction) which limits freight capacity.

Next there's where the freight comes from. The ECML is really the only destination from where crossing the bridge makes sense (Oxwellmains included). From Grangemouth, Mossend or the WCML (a vast majority of freight flows) it would be easier to go via Perth, as it's grade separated from the E&G and has more capacity than the Winchburgh Chord or doing a run round in Millerhill yard.

In short, yes freight across the bridge is possible (should the timetabling people allow it, which is unlikely) but why would you bother when going via Perth is just as easy and less busy.