• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Rail Freight Flows and News UK

pmb

Does Bath-Westbury-Salisbury really count as the B&H? I spent ages trying to work out how a Cardiff to Southampton train could use the "direct" line from Reading to Taunton (which is what I thought the B&H was - if you mean Berks and Hants) before looking up its route on RTT.
Sorry, I got muddled with my routes! ;)

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

furnessvale

Established Member
You are correct that the original Castle Donnington terminal was nothing more than a
planning permission 'box ticking exercise', but the new Railfreight hub which furnessvale
referred to in his post (official name East Midlands Gateway) is a completely different
kettle of fish!
MARK
Update. The first commercial service (from Southampton) entered EMG late evening on Tuesday. This was a trial of the equipment etc and full service will start on 6th January.

The trial appears to be the diversion of a service which normally goes to Birch Coppice.

pmb

The first commercial service (from Southampton) entered EMG late evening on Tuesday. This was a trial of the equipment etc and full service will start on 6th January.
That's great news. There's a bit more information on WNXX (subscription section): 'The terminal is expected to open fully on 6th January 2020 with a Freightliner flow from Felixstowe, followed the next day with a DBC operated service, also from Felixstowe'

With the introduction of GWR's new Winter Timetable there's now many additional passenger services on the GWML. This has resulted in some freight flows being relegated to secondary routes. A couple of examples are the 4O57 13:29 from Cardiff Wentloog to Southampton MCT liner and the 6C03 09:33 from Northolt Sdgs to Severnside-SITA binliner, which now run via the B&H instead of the GWML.
Also on WNXX there's information about the Theale - Robeston DB operated tanks, which is now booked to run via the B&H route along with the 6C03 Northolt to Severnside SITA binliner. (Ignore my comment about the Cardiff to Southampton flow - this actually runs via Westbury rather than the B&H, but is still a route change).

Tubeboy

Do oil trains still run to Sinfin? I’ve posted before, but no one replied, so I thought I’d try again in this more dedicated section. Thanks in advance to any replies,

HowardGWR

Established Member
T (Ignore my comment about the Cardiff to Southampton flow - this actually runs via Westbury rather than the B&H, but is still a route change).

I imagine there were consequences for large boxes if via Bath-Westbury-Salisbury. A more direct route though.

Donny_m

On Moderation
Bristol east sees to have a sporadic gravel train from Banbury again. Navy blue VTG gondolas parked up over Xmas.

I think this yard is used Whenever there’s a construction project in the area that needs materials or something like that.

Oxfordblues

Bristol east sees to have a sporadic gravel train from Banbury again. Navy blue VTG gondolas parked up over Xmas.

I think this yard is used Whenever there’s a construction project in the area that needs materials or something like that.
Yes, it's a flow from Bristol East Depot roaded-in from quarries south of Bristol (not Whatley or Merehead) for distribution in the Banbury area.

furnessvale

Established Member
It would appear that last weekend saw connections re-established into Salfords goods yard for Day Aggregates to move recycled materials (partially) by rail at the site.

pmb

It would appear that last weekend saw connections re-established into Salfords goods yard for Day Aggregates to move recycled materials (partially) by rail at the site.
RTT is showing that all trains so far have been cancelled, but I suppose it's very early days. Has this involved any relaying of track, etc. or was it all there already?

Also nice to see that the DB and FL flows to/ from East Midlands Gateway have started, though somewhat sporadically with some trains being cancelled.

furnessvale

Established Member
RTT is showing that all trains so far have been cancelled, but I suppose it's very early days. Has this involved any relaying of track, etc. or was it all there already?

Also nice to see that the DB and FL flows to/ from East Midlands Gateway have started, though somewhat sporadically with some trains being cancelled.
As you say, early days for both.

At Salfords AIUI the mainline connection was only installed last weekend. The paths may be allocated but perhaps it will take some weeks before the site is ready.

Similar for EMG. These things take time to build up. Doncaster iport has taken 12 months to build up to 5 daily trains which I think is good going.

Another potential new flow may be sea dredged gravel out of Newhaven. DBC are road learning but it may just be a reallocation of an existing flow?

Meerkat

Established Member
In Modern Railways there is mention of DCRail building a freight hub in Wembley, which the 60s will haul to/from. Where is this hub being built and for what, just construction materials?

ExRes

Established Member
In Modern Railways there is mention of DCRail building a freight hub in Wembley, which the 60s will haul to/from. Where is this hub being built and for what, just construction materials?

The hub, one of four, is being built at Willesden F Sidings and is exclusive to DCR for Cappagh to move aggregates and construction soil in and out, there is to be an article in the 15 January edition of Rail including an interview with David Fletcher, DCR Director of Rail

Meerkat

Established Member
The hub, one of four, is being built at Willesden F Sidings and is exclusive to DCR for Cappagh to move aggregates and construction soil in and out, there is to be an article in the 15 January edition of Rail including an interview with David Fletcher, DCR Director of Rail
Thanks, where are Willesden F sidings, and where are the other 3 hubs out of interest?

3973EXL

Established Member
F Sidings are on the down side just north of the biscuit factory before the North circular road.
In other words, if you're on the
WCML looking at the PRDC, you're looking at the wrong side.

Last edited:

ExRes

Established Member
Thanks, where are Willesden F sidings, and where are the other 3 hubs out of interest?

The other three sites aren't known to me, hopefully the article next week will reveal all

Meanwhile spoil work has recommenced between Crewe Basford Hall and the recycling site at Pinnox Branch Longport, sadly it doesn't mean a return of the Class 20s used by DCR during the trial as the full contract has been given to Colas who operated it from this week with a single Class 56

ExRes

Established Member
F Sidings are on the down side just north of the biscuit factory before the North circular road.

Don't mention the biscuit factory, the frustration of working at the PRDC in the early morning hours with the smell of freshly made digestives wafting across the track ............... :'(

Meerkat

Established Member
Gotcha, thanks. WCML access will presumably mean running to opposite Willesden station then running around. All those lorries getting on the North Circular there will be fun!

3973EXL

Established Member
Don't mention the biscuit factory, the frustration of working at the PRDC in the early morning hours with the smell of freshly made digestives wafting across the track ............... :'(
Probably agree, digestives over jammie dodgers.

pmb

Another potential new flow may be sea dredged gravel out of Newhaven. DBC are road learning but it may just be a reallocation of an existing flow?
I found an article elsewhere from April 2019. It indicates that this will be entirely new business. This is a link to it: https://intermodality.com/2019/04/1...etes-first-phase-of-brett-aggregate-railhead/
From the same article there's a link to another article on the same website about some new freight sidings at Lowestoft. Does anyone have more information about these, e.g. planned use, opening date etc? https://intermodality.com/2019/04/22/lowestoft-new-freight-sidings-take-shape/

furnessvale

Established Member
Cemex at Hope St Salford has improved its sidings and storage so that hardstone from South Wales can be brought in by train rather than road. Intitially, one trainload a fortnight will arrive.

Last edited:

AndrewE

Established Member
Looking at a page about Lowestoft renewables activities https://www.scottishpowerrenewables...e_windfarm_officially_opens_in_lowestoft.aspx I think that, although the first area of turbines is complete, there might be another 3 arrays to go in. That might justify making sidings available for the steel for the towers, if nothing else...
I have no idea where the first lot were made or how transported. I don't think rail got anything out of the thousands installed out of Mostyn dock on the Dee estuary either, even though it is rail connected.

furnessvale

Established Member
Another new stone terminal is for Tarmac in northeast Birmingham, probably Washwood Heath. It is to be an asphalt plant and the first train of aggregates has arrived.

pmb

8 new rail freight terminals (4 DCR hubs, Newhaven, Salford, Lowestoft and Washwood Heath terminals) and a recommenced flow discussed so far today! Rail freight certainly seems to be enjoying a resurgence after the coal crash, and what's more the situation also seems to be quite stable and secure with long term contracts such as that with Maritime Transport and DB. It doesn't seem to be a bubble which is getting bigger and bigger and eventually going to pop. Happy to be corrected, but this is how it seems to me.

furnessvale

Established Member
While trawling through RTT looking for the restarted spoil from Crewe to Pinnox (Stoke) I have come across a path from Immingham to Trafford Park for GBRF.

Timetabled daily SSx for 1450t one way and 1600t the other, 16/12/19 to 15/05/20. So far it is cancelled every day. Routed a very convoluted way so probably gauging issues with shipping containers.

Anyone any ideas? Hopefully another new flow to add to #85. :)

Photohunter71

I'd like to see more investment in Freight on rails up here in Scotland. Are there future increases generally for container freight movements on rail? Was also wondering what future raw materials could be possibly bulk moved by rail,I suppose that will be determined by markets however!

furnessvale

Established Member
I'd like to see more investment in Freight on rails up here in Scotland. Are there future increases generally for container freight movements on rail? Was also wondering what future raw materials could be possibly bulk moved by rail,I suppose that will be determined by markets however!
The new Highland Spring sidings will be opening at Blackford before too long. Trials for Sterlingboard (or whatever the correct name is) at Inverness are expected soon. Movements of whisky are also in the pipeling (not literally!).

Shimbleshanks

Press release today about the new Felixtowe/East Midlands Gateway service:

Maritime Intermodal begins new rail freight service for East Midlands Gateway

Maritime Intermodal, a subdivision of Maritime Transport, has launched a new five-day-a-week rail freight service to SEGRO Logistics Park East Midlands Gateway providing a greener and more flexible way for businesses in the East Midlands to move their goods around the country.

The first route will connect the new strategic rail freight terminal at East Midlands Gateway to the Port of Felixstowe, the UK’s busiest container port, and will provide the capacity to move up to 70 containers, meeting increasing customer demand in the region. The new service is Maritime Intermodal’s seventh daily rail freight service, with further services expected to be announced in the coming months.

Commenting on the new route, John Bailey, Managing Director of Intermodal and Terminals at Maritime, stated: “We’re delighted to be extending our rail offering with this new service, our first of many at EMG which is set to open a new intermodal market for the industry, increasing productivity and removing truck miles from the Midlands’ major routes. The growth we’ve seen in the rail sector already is a testament to our commitment to meeting our customers’ needs, and we look forward to introducing further services in the near future.”

Andrew Pilsworth, Business Unit Director, National Logistics, SEGRO, said: “The start of rail freight services to and from East Midlands Gateway is a major step forward for the long-term future of the development and is great news for those who live in, travel through or do business in the region. Strategic Rail Freight Interchanges are recognised by the Government as being nationally important pieces of infrastructure, both economically and environmentally, and the demand for the efficient movement of goods – driven by customer demand and technology – shows no sign of slowing down.”

Maritime Transport’s 17-acre EMG terminal is capable of handling up to sixteen 775metre-long freight trains daily. The terminal will provide storage capacity for over 5,000TEU - which is equal to approximately 50,000 pallets of cargo - and is the first to connect to the Castle Donington freight line, providing direct access to the UK’s network of rail freight interchanges and all major UK Ports. In order to accommodate the terminal, earthworks took place to dig 25m below existing ground level. The site will also host a new 20,000 sq ft HQ for Maritime Intermodal to house operations staff, state-of-the-art training facilities and parking for a fleet of up to 100 trucks.

SEGRO Logistics Park East Midlands Gateway is a 700-acre development with planning consent for up to 6,000,000 sq ft of warehousing and logistics accommodation. The development, which is anticipated to create over 7,000 jobs, is already or will be a base for companies including Amazon, Nestle/XPO Logistics, Shop Direct, Kuehne+Nagel and Games Workshop. As part of the development, tens of millions of pounds have been invested in local infrastructure, including junction improvements on the M1 and A50 and a new bridge over the M1 to connect the Kegworth bypass.

NOTES TO EDITORS:

The new service commenced on Tuesday 7 January and will run five days a week from Tuesday to Saturday, departing from the Port of Felixstowe at 08:00 and arriving at EMG at 17:20, then departing EMG at 20:50 and arriving back at the Port of Felixstowe at 02:00.

ExRes

Established Member
Meanwhile spoil work has recommenced between Crewe Basford Hall and the recycling site at Pinnox Branch Longport, sadly it doesn't mean a return of the Class 20s used by DCR during the trial as the full contract has been given to Colas who operated it from this week with a single Class 56

Interestingly I've come across a couple of pictures on flickr of Colas 56049 operating this service on thursday, the caption states that it was actually cleaned ballast being collected from Pinnox rather than spoil ballast being delivered