• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Rail Freight Flows and News UK

Freightmaster

Established Member
Apologies if this appears elsewhere, but does anyone know why certain MGR workings from The North East (mainly to Drax) are running with 42 wagons rather than the usual 22? There's usually a dead loco in tow, too.
As I understand it, it's being done to reduce the number of trains (and most importantly in the
current emergency situation, traincrew) required to deliver the contracted tonnage at a time when
there a loads of spare locos available due to virus related traffic falls in other sectors, particularly construction.

MARK

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

OGLO

As I understand it, it's being done to reduce the number of trains (and most importantly in the
current emergency situation, traincrew) required to deliver the contracted tonnage at a time when
there a loads of spare locos available due to virus related traffic falls in other sectors, particularly construction.

MARK
Thanks. It's notable that it's not every train, and the wagons appear to be a fairly scruffy "scratch" set , some bearing the remains of National Power livery. I live next to the line south of Eaglescliffe South, so get the chance to watch closely.

Meerkat

Established Member
Is length less of an issue at the moment as the reduced services mean they can run straight through without needing loops?

hwl

Established Member
Is length less of an issue at the moment as the reduced services mean they can run straight through without needing loops?
With fewer trains being a bit slower isn't an issue either.

Might longer trains be easier given the current Drax access issues (landslip)?

Energy use is down about 15% currently but Drax still seems to run flat out, but it isn't too windy.

Freightmaster

Established Member
Thanks. It's notable that it's not every train, and the wagons appear to be a fairly scruffy "scratch" set , some bearing the remains of National Power livery.
For clarification, those are coal trains from Redcar to/from Scunthorpe steel works, operated by DB,
not MGR (i.e. biomass) trains to Drax, which are operated by GBRf and I am pretty sure are still running
at their normal length with one loco.

MARK

Greybeard33

Established Member
For clarification, those are coal trains from Redcar to/from Scunthorpe steel works, operated by DB,
not MGR (i.e. biomass) trains to Drax, which are operated by GBRf and I am pretty sure are still running
at their normal length with one loco.

MARK
GBRf operates the biomass trains from Liverpool Biomass Terminal to Drax Aes. But DB Cargo operates the biomass trains from Immingham Biomass Terminal to Drax Power Station. This diversity of routes and operators gives Drax some protection against supply chain disruption.

OGLO

Thanks for the clarification and correction, folks.

Just for the record, trains pass Eaglescliffe with coal (not just biomass) for Drax. I can see into the wagons from my upstairs window!

Freightmaster

Established Member
Just for the record, trains pass Eaglescliffe with coal (not just biomass) for Drax. I can see into the wagons from my upstairs window!
That's an interesting development - as far as I was aware, there haven't been coal trains from Tyne Dock
to Drax for many years; in fact I wasn't aware of coal trains running to Drax from anywhere for a couple
of months now, following the cessation of the weekly service from Killoch.

So it would be extremely useful to me if you could let me know which specific train(s) from Tyne Dock (time
passing Eaglescliffe will do) that you are seeing loaded with coal, so I can try and get hold of a TOPS consist.

TIA,

MARK

Greybeard33

Established Member
That's an interesting development - as far as I was aware, there haven't been coal trains from Tyne Dock
to Drax for many years; in fact I wasn't aware of coal trains running to Drax from anywhere for a couple
of months now, following the cessation of the weekly service from Killoch.

So it would be extremely useful to me if you could let me know which specific train(s) from Tyne Dock (time
passing Eaglescliffe will do) that you are seeing loaded with coal, so I can try and get hold of a TOPS consist.

TIA,

MARK
RTT shows two GBRf trains from Tyne Coal Terminal to Drax this morning, operated with 66713 and 66026 respectively - see https://www.realtimetrains.co.uk/train/H48523/2020-04-11/detailed and https://www.realtimetrains.co.uk/train/H48519/2020-04-11/detailed.

OGLO

Meanwhile, any idea what the name "Forest City" refers to? Not Nottingham, probably.

(I am a Nottingham Youth)

SteveHFC

RTT shows two GBRf trains from Tyne Coal Terminal to Drax this morning, operated with 66713 and 66026 respectively - see https://www.realtimetrains.co.uk/train/H48523/2020-04-11/detailed and https://www.realtimetrains.co.uk/train/H48519/2020-04-11/detailed.
There are no coal trains running into Drax at the moment, those that are in the system are all cancelled off on a weekly basis. How do I know? I've been the one doing the Drax plan at Network Rail while the Restriction of Use is in place (as I've mentioned on another thread elsewhere). All that is going into Drax at the moment are DBC Biomass from either Hull or Immingham, or GBRf Biomass from either Tyne or Liverpool, and a couple of FLHH trains from the Peak Forest.

Freightmaster

Established Member
Those are biomass trains. They are formed of bogie hoppers with retractable covers, so you
would not be able to see the contents of the hoppers when they passed your house.

But in an earlier post, you mentioned that you have been seeing trains loaded with coal bound
for Drax (these would utilise open bogie hoppers); I'm just interested to know which services
they were - have you been seeing them passing Eaglescliffe at a particular time of day?

MARK

Greybeard33

Established Member
Those are biomass trains. They are formed of bogie hoppers with retractable covers, so you
would not be able to see the contents of the hoppers when they passed your house.

But in an earlier post, you mentioned that you have been seeing trains loaded with coal bound
for Drax (these would utilise open bogie hoppers); I'm just interested to know which services
they were - have you been seeing them passing Eaglescliffe at a particular time of day?

MARK
Thanks for the correction.

It was @OGLO, not myself, who reported seeing coal trains passing Eaglescliffe, in post #187.

pmb

News on WNXX (subscription section): the contract for the Preston/Lindsey workings with Colas has been extended for a further five years. The workings are likely to use Class 56's.

ExRes

Established Member
What traction is typically used on DRS nuclear trains these days? Is it still generally pairs of class 37s? According to Ian Walmseley, 2 class 88s are also used.
Does the traction vary by route, for example Berkeley/Bridgewater to Crewe trains always using class 37s?

Just to prove there's always an exception to the rule, WNXX has a photo (subscription section) of 88009 hauling one FNA on 6M69 Sizewell to Willesden Brent on 14th April

BRX

Established Member
In the last couple of weeks a flow of steel from Margam to Dollands Moor and on through the tunnel has (re) started.

This used to run regularly until about 5 years ago. When that stopped, what i understood to be a replacement started running from Margam to Thamseport (I gathered the steel was transferred to road there, for onwards transport to the continent). I'm not quite clear whether the new service through the tunnel replaces that, or is in addition. Either way, nice to see something additional running through the tunnel for once.
As an update to this, it would appear that the new service trough the tunnel is in addition to to the one running to/from Thamesport, as I've seen both operate this week.

Chingy

As an update to this, it would appear that the new service trough the tunnel is in addition to to the one running to/from Thamesport, as I've seen both operate this week.

Think one of them is heading along the GWML towards South Wales as we speak now.

ExRes

Established Member
Interesting comment by a contributor to WNXX today, he's heard that the route learning being carried out by 56103 this week and last is for an aggregate flow from Carlisle Kingmoor VQ to Able Seaton Port Hartlepool, although this would be a 'new' flow it is probably a redirection of the Boston one, anyone heard anything on this possibility?

furnessvale

Established Member
Final consent has at last been given for the new strategic railfreight depot at Four Ashes north of Wolverhampton.

BRX

Established Member
This is from the current RFG newsletter. I'm not entirely clear what is "new" here - a service has been running on this route for some time, so is this essentially an increase in frequency?

Screen Shot 2020-05-04 at 21.19.25.jpg

Freightmaster

Established Member
This is from the current RFG newsletter. I'm not entirely clear what is "new" here - a service has been running on this route for some time, so is this essentially an increase in frequency?
Nope!

Typical press release 'spin' making an existing (albeit repurposed) train service out to be a "new flow" :rolleyes:

MARK

stantheman

On Moderation
I noted the Seaton to Sellafield flasks is booked today to run via WCML and run round at Carnforth . I would thought it would run under the WCML at Carlisle and then via Maryport . What is it’s normal route .

Freightmaster

Established Member
I noted the Seaton to Sellafield flasks is booked today to run via WCML and run round at Carnforth . I would thought it would run under the WCML at Carlisle and then via Maryport . What is it’s normal route.
It is currently diverted to run via Carforth due to a damaged bridge on the Cumbrian Coast line north of Sellafield;
as you correctly assumed, it normally runs via the Petteril Bridge to Bog Junction chord at Carlisle (the only train
booked to do so), but that chord (and the loop from Upperby) are out of use at present:

1588691190805.png

MARK

It is currently diverted to run via Carforth due to a damaged bridge on the Cumbrian Coast line north of Sellafield;
as you correctly assumed, it normally runs via the Petteril Bridge to Bog Junction chord at Carlisle (the only train
booked to do so), but that chord (and the loop from Upperby) are out of use at present:

View attachment 77466

MARK

I have just read that Network Rail says the bridge works and rock armour replacement at Parton will be completed by the end of May, enabling the line to reopen. However the line will shut between Millom & Sellafield for 9 days in June to allow renewal of track around Eskmeals.

Peter Bonner

I noted the Seaton to Sellafield flasks is booked today to run via WCML and run round at Carnforth . I would thought it would run under the WCML at Carlisle and then via Maryport . What is it’s normal route .
Cumbrian coast line is closed until summer between Whitehaven and Workington due to storm damage to the sea wall this winter.

pmb

I have just updated the title of the thread to 'Rail Freight Flows and News UK' to better reflect the thread content.

Freightmaster

Established Member