• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Rail Freight Flows and News UK

Dr Hoo

Established Member
They must go on the road somewhere in South Wales because there's no Tesco facility at the rail terminal, so that might not be anything to do with the contract loss.

It isn't really surprising to hear the contract has been lost though, rail generally does well on long distance flows, and Daventry to Newport isn't that. Though the Midlands to Southampton/Felixstowe isn't much further, and those trains have managed to hang around for quite a while.
Part of that phenomenon is down to the limited budget for Mode Shift Revenue Support funding from the DfT. 'Medium distance' intermodal flows are just where it comes in handy. Some flows get it, others can't. (This is intended as a general statement, not specifically about whether any Wentloog flows are or aren't eligible.)

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

markymark2000

On Moderation
Part of that phenomenon is down to the limited budget for Mode Shift Revenue Support funding from the DfT. 'Medium distance' intermodal flows are just where it comes in handy. Some flows get it, others can't. (This is intended as a general statement, not specifically about whether any Wentloog flows are or aren't eligible.)
Surely Wentloog Tesco flow would be doable for longer distance flows but has the capability for shorter distance if needs be. Containers from Scotland could remain on the train with some Scotland - Daventry containers unloaded and Daventry to Wentloog containers added.

Medium distance intermodal shouldn't be an issue as long as it forms part of a longer distance flow to maximise utilisation.

wallan

Surely Wentloog Tesco flow would be doable for longer distance flows but has the capability for shorter distance if needs be. Containers from Scotland could remain on the train with some Scotland - Daventry containers unloaded and Daventry to Wentloog containers added.

Medium distance intermodal shouldn't be an issue as long as it forms part of a longer distance flow to maximise utilisation.

For the last few weeks DRS ( Tesco ) have been operating a service from Tees Port - Daventry , there has been Various Departure / Arrival Times
This week it Departs Tees Port 0020 Arriving Daventry 0644 , The return service departs Daventry 1106 to Doncaster I Port before continuing to Tees Port

stantheman

On Moderation
Grangemouth to Sinfin running tonight with 56302 , two weeks in a row . It previously ran just a few times a year , must be a catch-up in work at Rolls Royce . Large black TDAtanks which I have not seen in Scotland until last week , any9ne know where they came from ?

pmb

A new flow of stone operated by DB has started, running from Moreton - on - Lugg to the new aggregates terminal at Small Heath. I believe today's working is the second loaded train.

Oxfordblues

Excellent news, but a dreadful schedule: 11 hours for a distance of less than 60 miles (as the crow flies) thanks to railway geography and GWR congestion. I hope DB Cargo bid for a better path longer-term

ABB125

Established Member
A new flow of stone operated by DB has started, running from Moreton - on - Lugg to the new aggregates terminal at Small Heath. I believe today's working is the second loaded train.
That really is an appalling schedule. I suppose the problem is accessing Small Heath, which is easiest from the south.

Dr Hoo

Established Member
That really is an appalling schedule. I suppose the problem is accessing Small Heath, which is easiest from the south.
Seven booked loopings and two other stops for driver relief. A good demonstration of how busy our main lines are, even after various recent enhancements and re-signalling.

xotGD

Established Member

stantheman

On Moderation
A load of BTAs were moved on Tuesday from Tees Yard toMossend . Discussion on another forum says these are going to Inverness tomorrow as 6Z37 for a new flow of timber trials from Georgemsd to Inverness . Operated by West Coast Railways .

furnessvale

Established Member
A load of BTAs were moved on Tuesday from Tees Yard toMossend . Discussion on another forum says these are going to Inverness tomorrow as 6Z37 for a new flow of timber trials from Georgemsd to Inverness . Operated by West Coast Railways .
Great opportunity for a partial backload if the right combination of pipes/wagon type/timing came along.

xotGD

Established Member
6Z37 - is the headcode an indicator of traction?

stantheman

On Moderation
Whatever the power for z37 , I think it might be double headed as I suspect a standby loco will be needed at Inverness . My bet is 2x 47

Murray J

Yeah, the path is up on railcam, so it'll be up on RTT as well.

Romsey

Locos that are available with RETB kit?
It may be cheaper to hire in than bring a loco the length of the country. ( That's if the RETB kit on DB C locos still functions.... )

BRX

Established Member
There are now trains running between Newhaven and Hither Green ... which I think are new? Mostly running as STP at the moment it seems.

Freightmaster

Established Member
There are now trains running between Newhaven and Hither Green ... which I think are new? Mostly running as STP at the moment it seems.
Those are light engine movements (for crew training)

MARK

High Dyke

Established Member
Couple of reasons I would imagine, no access to unload to lorries at Kings Lynn and sidings needed to be cleared so that trains can access the branch.
Partly correct. One factor is that the paper factory, on the site of the former British Sugar factory, situated to the south of the town alongside the River Great Ouse, currently has no rail connection. The exchange sidings were lifted after the sugar plant closed. The remaining part of the docks branch is more of a long run-round loop for the traffic to/from Middleton Towers. There hasn't been access to/from the docks for many years. Another issue may be the single line sections of the route between Ely and King's Lynn causing pathing problems.

Freightmaster

Established Member
Not for the last couple of days at least - they are full trains of aggregate hoppers - have seen them with my own eyes!
Are you sure you are seeing those particular moves?
RTT definitely shows them both running as class 0 (light engine moves) both yesterday...

...and today:

In addition to RTT, TOPS shows this afternoon's move running as 0Z71 (again, a light engine headcode):
66047 WBAE NEWHAVMD 880Z711Q03 F HITHRGDSG N

I know TOPS can sometimes be wrong due to human error, so as a final check, I looked at the
OTT signalling diagram for the Lewes area which also shows the train running as a class 0:

1596551158030.png

In my experience, it is extremely unusual for a Train Describer to incorrectly depict a
class 6 train as a light engine, so is it possible that you could have seen a different train?

MARK