• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Rail Freight Flows and News UK

BRX

Established Member
Are you sure you are seeing those particular moves?
RTT definitely shows them both running as class 0 (light engine moves) both yesterday...

...and today:

In addition to RTT, TOPS shows this afternoon's move running as 0Z71 (again, a light engine headcode):

I know TOPS can sometimes be wrong due to human error, so as a final check, I looked at the
OTT signalling diagram for the Lewes area which also shows the train running as a class 0:

View attachment 81806

In my experience, it is extremely unusual for a Train Describer to incorrectly depict a
class 6 train as a light engine, so is it possible that you could have seen a different train?

MARK
This one for example, today

Was a rake of red DBS hoppers when it came past me here in south london.

However... I can confirm that this one:

Is indeed a light engine

Last edited:
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Freightmaster

Established Member
However... I can confirm that this one:

Is indeed a light engine
Thanks for confirming that I wasn't going mad! :smile:

Your original post specifically mentioned trains running between Hither Green and Newhaven,
which are the route learning learning light engine movements.

There are also up to three loaded trains a week running from Newhaven to locations such as Brentford,
Tolworth and Neasden operated by DBS, plus stone trains to Newhaven from Merehead, operated by FHH.

MARK

Established Member

Your original post specifically mentioned trains running between Hither Green and Newhaven,

There are also up to three loaded trains a week running from Newhaven to locations such as Brentford,
Tolworth and Neasden operated by DBS, plus stone trains to Newhaven from Merehead, operated by FHH.

MARK

This seems a strange arrangement. Are they different types of stone, or some other reason why the plant in Newhaven can't use the local supply?

furnessvale

Established Member
This seems a strange arrangement. Are they different types of stone, or some other reason why the plant in Newhaven can't use the local supply?
Merehead will be limestone. Newhaven is sea dredged gravel/sand.

Good quality concrete needs angular stone, like limestone rather than round pebbles.

BRX

Established Member

MARK
That Tolworth - Newhaven one does go via Hither Green though (a rather roundabout route) ... I'd spotted it as a new service but perhaps that's because it doesn't usually take that routing?

Not only does it go via Hither Green but it has a stop at Pouparts Jn: "Service loses and gains coaches here" which is a bit unusual for a freight train and I suspect not what really happens!

L+Y

Promoted by taking the S&C charter service on Monday- does timber traffic still run from Ribblehead? The lines looked rusty so I'm assuming not- has the traffic permanently ended, or is it merely a temporary Covid victim?

Freightmaster

Established Member
Promoted by taking the S&C charter service on Monday- does timber traffic still run from Ribblehead? The lines looked rusty so I'm assuming not..
Timber hasn't been loaded at Ribblehead for several years - the only traffic nowadays is stone to Leeds
which runs for a week or so every few months.

- has the traffic permanently ended, or is it merely a temporary Covid victim?
The mill at Chirk closed in March due to lack of demand and the opportunity was taken to undertake
a program of repairs/maintenance. I understand that this is now complete and the train from Carlisle
via the S+C should restart soon (the wagons were moved there last week from Newton Abbott)

MARK

Established Member
A new flow of paper slurry from Aberdeen to Spalding, where it is transferred to road transport onwards to King's Lynn, has started, operated by Colas.
What would be the reason for not taking it all the way to King's Lynn by rail out of interest?

Judging by pictures online it looks like this train ran today with just four wagons, and has been very short on other occasions too. Can't see it lasting like that.

pmb

Friday 14th August saw a DRS operated stone train from Barrow to Sellafield, using the JNA wagons which had recently been trialled on the Sizewell line. I don't know if this will be a short term or long term contract?

stantheman

On Moderation
What’s happened to the Killoch to Port Talbot coal , seems to have vanished after just a couple of runs ?

pmb

Tesco has launched a new £5m investment programme to get more freight onto rail, particularly in the north of England. This includes 500 new rail boxes and 2 new stacking cranes. The new service will run between Daventry and Middlesborough according to the article.

furnessvale

Established Member
Tesco has launched a new £5m investment programme to get more freight onto rail, particularly in the north of England. This includes 500 new rail boxes and 2 new stacking cranes. The new service will run between Daventry and Middlesborough according to the article.
Already running, and has been for several months. Still good news though.

Freightmaster

Established Member
There is a strange 6S05 Arcow to Mossend just now
It's stone traffic - the first train ran on Wednesday September 2nd:

MARK

furnessvale

Established Member
It's stone traffic - the first train ran on Wednesday September 2nd:

MARK
Unless I am mistaken, the stone from Arcow and the immediate area includes chippings, ideal for road surface dressing (tar and chippings). As such, there is a national demand for this product and I would expect more rail traffic nationwide now there is an available loading point.

stantheman

On Moderation
Looking at Arcow on RTT there are an incredible number of destinations , suspect most of them are Q paths .

furnessvale

Established Member
Looking at Arcow on RTT there are an incredible number of destinations , suspect most of them are Q paths .
Yes. I believe the type of stone will mean that one delivery a week or fortnight will satisfy the requirements of any single destination. Thus one or two activations daily will send trains to different locations each day although paths have to be kept to allow that to happen.

stantheman

On Moderation
Yesterday there was a Neath Abbey Whatf to Doncaster train , what does this convey and how often does it run

Class385