• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Rail Freight Flows and News UK

Freightmaster

Established Member
Saw on Twitter today that Freightliner have been awarded a new Tarmac contact from Tunstead and other sites. Is this new traffic or taken over from another operator ?
Neither!

It's a tedious habit that FOCs have of saying that they have "been awarded a new contract" because it
sounds more impressive than the truth, which is that they have extended/renewed an existing contract. :rolleyes:

MARK

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Freightmaster

Established Member
I am sure there was other traffic from Neath Abbey Wharf not so long ago operated by FHH
The only regular flows from Neath are to Leeds and Thorney Mill (both operated by GBRf);
it's very rare for DB train to operate from there and Freightliner haven't been in there at all
since GBRf took over the 'Tarmac South' contract a few years ago.

MARK

ExRes

Established Member
The only regular flows from Neath are to Leeds and Thorney Mill (both operated by GBRf);
it's very rare for DB train to operate from there and Freightliner haven't been in there at all

MARK

DCR have done three or four Neath Abbey Wharf to Rossington trips in the last year or so, very few and far between of course, perhaps they were on behalf of GBRf?

BR 45111

MARK
66140 worked the 6E57 Neath Abbey Wharf - Doncaster Belmont setting off Friday night .

stantheman

On Moderation
Something on another site about a new GBRF Doncaster to Elderslie , near Paisley , flow starting soon . Could be linked bu5 there are le moves from Polmadie to Elderslie tomorrow , showing as electric loco , presumably the 92 off the sleeper ?

stantheman

On Moderation
And another from Mon 14/12 0608 Doncaster Railport to Elderslie near Paisley . 92 to Millerhill then 66 forward . GB Railfreight .

Class385

Something on another site about a new GBRF Doncaster to Elderslie , near Paisley , flow starting soon . Could be linked bu5 there are le moves from Polmadie to Elderslie tomorrow , showing as electric loco , presumably the 92 off the sleeper ?
Elderslie - Teesport container traffic starts shortly.

DarloRich

Veteran Member
good to hear Elderslie is getting some use. I pass it often ( or did in them ore covid olden days) on the way to my mum's

hwl

Established Member
Could this be because the Mossend terminal is at capacity?
Probably more due to site ownership, Elderslie is WH Malcolm so could be a bit cheaper for them if they paying for the trains and finding the containers to go on a new service where the trains might not be that long.

Freightmaster

Established Member
From a photo on Flickr DB Cargo are operating a trial scrap flow from Sims Beeston to Cardiff Tidal
Correct - the traffic actually restarted in mid August, so presumably the trial was successful! :smile:

MARK

stantheman

On Moderation
Elderslie - Teesport container traffic starts shortly.
I have been looking at RTT to follow this new working , and am a bit confused . It indicates 4S69 0608 Doncaster IPort to Elderslie where it arrives 1618 . It departs at 1930 as 4D69 to Millerhill arr 2130 where it recesses and then appears to go forward as 4E69 at 0130 , not to Doncaster but to Teesport ? All northbound workings fir 4S69 seem to be from Doncaster . Perhaps the wagons , after arriving at Teesport then do a trip to Doncaster for the 0608 the next day ...

Donny_m

On Moderation
Correct - the traffic actually restarted in mid August, so presumably the trial was successful! :smile:

MARK

The guy (db driver) on Flickr put up a photo of the train titled ‘trial run’ this week so not sure if you’re correct on that unless it’s still ongoing in which case I wonder why he hasn’t posted about it before. He usually puts up his pics on the day he takes them.

Freightmaster

Established Member
The guy (db driver) on Flickr put up a photo of the train titled ‘trial run’ this week so not sure if you’re correct on that unless it’s still ongoing in which case I wonder why he hasn’t posted about it before. He usually puts up his pics on the day he takes them.
According to my records the first run was on August 18th and it's been running once or twice a week since then.

Here is a photo (not mine!) of it being loaded on September 10th:

MARK

I have been looking at RTT to follow this new working , and am a bit confused . It indicates 4S69 0608 Doncaster IPort to Elderslie where it arrives 1618 . It departs at 1930 as 4D69 to Millerhill arr 2130 where it recesses and then appears to go forward as 4E69 at 0130 , not to Doncaster but to Teesport ? All northbound workings fir 4S69 seem to be from Doncaster . Perhaps the wagons , after arriving at Teesport then do a trip to Doncaster for the 0608 the next day ...
Correct - it's a 'triangular' diagram, a bit like the Daventry-Doncaster-Tees Dock-Daventry DRS service.

MARK

Last edited:

stantheman

On Moderation
According to my records the first run was on August 18th and it's been running once or twice a week since then.

MARK

Correct - it's a 'triangular' diagram, a bit like the Daventry-Doncaster-Tees Dock-Daventry DRS service.

MARK
In this case could some of the traffic from Mossend remain at Tees and be unloaded at Doncaster ?

gbbub321

On Moderation
Yes, contract renewal. However, GBRf seem to have a habit of pushing for a bit more traffic to sweeten deals.
Sounds like gbrf have just secured all the services in and out of maritime transport yards

I didn't realise that Maritime operate the Castle Donnington site, in that case it should have a bright future. When I wrote my post I was actually thinking of the M&S siding.
Maritime are laying drivers of left right and centre, not looking good for them

Last edited:

wallan

MARK

Is the Teesport - Daventry - Teesport Service due to contiue

MARK

Tony2

4S69 Doncaster to Elderslie first run north today on the move hauled by 66783 according to RTT:

atillathehunn

Established Member
I quite often spot new paths like this to and from Dollands Moor and get hopeful they mean the possibility of some new cross-channel traffic but they generally never seem to come to anything!
This might be stupid, but could this be related to the order for new trains for the Tyne and Wear which come from Stadler on the continent?

There might be a transfer point at Pelaw for the T&W.

I'm not sure.

BRX

Established Member
This might be stupid, but could this be related to the order for new trains for the Tyne and Wear which come from Stadler on the continent?

There might be a transfer point at Pelaw for the T&W.

I'm not sure.
Maybe. There's also ones like this one

which look all set up for some kind of intermodal service. But there's no indication anything is likely to use it.

I assume they are somehow just there as a long term strategic reserve.

atillathehunn

Established Member
Maybe. There's also ones like this one

which look all set up for some kind of intermodal service. But there's no indication anything is likely to use it.

I assume they are somehow just there as a long term strategic reserve.
Then you are probably right.

I've seen some discussion that more freight may be moved through the chunnel after the changes in late December, I assume to shift some of the pressure off of lorry handling facilities at Dover. Perhaps paths are in place in anticipation.

BRX

Established Member
Then you are probably right.

I've seen some discussion that more freight may be moved through the chunnel after the changes in late December, I assume to shift some of the pressure off of lorry handling facilities at Dover. Perhaps paths are in place in anticipation.
Where have you seen that discussion?

stantheman

On Moderation
There’s a Mossend to South Bank Teeside scheduled for tomorrow morning with an evening return . 4Z65 , wonder if this is a one off or start of another intermodal . Seems to be DRS operated . Also I noted the Doncaster to Elderslie seems to be booked on a Saturday as well from Mid Dec so that’s six days a week .

There’s a Mossend to South Bank Teeside scheduled for tomorrow morning with an evening return . 4Z65 , wonder if this is a one off or start of another intermodal . Seems to be DRS operated . Also I noted the Doncaster to Elderslie seems to be booked on a Saturday as well from Mid Dec so that’s six days a week .
68018 and 20 Tesco containers according to a report

Last edited: