• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Rail Freight Flows and News UK

furnessvale

Established Member
Isn't there some sort of weight limit on the bridge which, in MGR days, reduced overall train length?

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

hwl

Established Member
I had a look at a weeks worth of RTT and didn’t find any obvious traffic in or out of the Millbrook terminal, does anyone know if it should have its own location and timing point in RTT?
It is also worth bearing in mind that MCT is capable of (more easily) handling 775m trains after the recent upgrades which will have reduced the need to use Millbrook.

It is also a slightly quiet time of year for containers with slightly fewer shipping having left the far east during the long CNY holiday and ships avoiding the UK due to the knock on effects of the Felixstowe problems.

stantheman

On Moderation
Oxwellmains to Seaham running today , first time for ages

What’s become of the new Doncaster to Elderslie, has been very infrequent .

Esker-pades

Established Member
Southampton Line Closures Leaflet (networkrail.co.uk)

Following the completion of the infrastructure works in February - have intermodal freights in and out of Southampton now been lengthened from 530 to 775 metres. Has demand expanded to fill the space or is that a work in progress?
The Dec '21 timetable is when the first set of paths to/from Southampton get uplifted. There may be very few max-length services already (as @swt_passenger and @hwl have indicated), but it'll be from the Dec '21 change that there are a significant number of WTT paths. It will take a few changes to get every* service uplifted.

New flow from MOD Kineton to Ashchurch, 6V34 via Birmingham Snow Hill. M to F in May timetable change.

Return via Kemble and Didcot.

How often it will run will remain to be seen.

Last edited:

ABB125

Established Member

ExRes

Established Member
Following on from last weeks DCR route learning there are STP paths in from Willesden to Bristol Freightliner Terminal and return for tomorrow, reported to be for stone that will be brought in by lorry from Flax Bourton

Donny_m

On Moderation
There’s been a light loco going back and forth between Bristol Freightliner and Bristol East depot today* - a good 8-10 times. Only thing I can think is driver training for the recent new Stone trains into the freightliner terminal.

*RTT says light loco, can’t be bothered to walk up the road to check.

FrodshamJnct

Established Member
There’s been a light loco going back and forth between Bristol Freightliner and Bristol East depot today* - a good 8-10 times. Only thing I can think is driver training for the recent new Stone trains into the freightliner terminal.

*RTT says light loco, can’t be bothered to walk up the road to check.

Oxfordblues

I'm sure Barrie Hughes won't mind me copying this from his unofficial Welsh Highland Railway website:

ROG's No.37800 was hired as a Crewe-Holyhead route learner on 12/4/21 in preparation for renewed stone traffic from Penmaenmawr. GBRf has won the haulage contract and there will be two loaded outbound trains a day SuX from 17/5/21. One 'jumbo' return working of empty wagons is envisaged. The orange army was out in Penmaenmawr yard after Easter clearing vegetation and rehabilitating the track. This will mean the welcome return of revenue earning freight to the North Wales coast Line after 2 years of absence since the Wylfa nuclear waste traffic ceased. The other scheme to restart freight from Llandudno Junction Yard has yet to make any progress.

Freightmaster

Established Member
I'm sure Barrie Hughes won't mind me copying this from his unofficial Welsh Highland Railway website:

...This will mean the welcome return of revenue earning freight to the North Wales coast Line after 2 years of absence since the Wylfa nuclear waste traffic ceased. The other scheme to restart freight from Llandudno Junction Yard has yet to make any progress.
Just a minor correction - the Wylfa(Valley) train still runs occasionally;
the last run being just ten days ago on Friday April 2nd:

MARK

stantheman

On Moderation
Up for an insomniac glass of wine at this hour of the morning and spotted a pic on Flickr of a SAND working from Tinsley to Tyne Dock . Anyone got more info , is this a special , was said to be Tuesday only

furnessvale

Established Member
Up for an insomniac glass of wine at this hour of the morning and spotted a pic on Flickr of a SAND working from Tinsley to Tyne Dock . Anyone got more info , is this a special , was said to be Tuesday only
I understood it was sand from Tyne Dock to Tinsley and a new flow, albeit not daily.

waverley47

There was a trip working from Inverness to Georgemas this afternoon. DRS operated, with one container flat, and one container.

Was this a trial or just a route proving run?

ANTONOV 12BP

According to RTT & Railcam, paths have been filed for a new GBRF intermodal service from Felixstowe - Doncaster vice-versa for next week. To my understanding, this new GBRF service is just a current takeover of the ongoing Freightliner contract, as the timetable published is more or less identical to the one that Freightliner has in use.

RTT: Felixstowe - Doncaster [Railport] GBRF https://www.realtimetrains.co.uk/train/H00036/2021-05-04/detailed

RTT: Doncaster [Railport] - Felixstowe GBRF https://www.realtimetrains.co.uk/train/H00035/2021-05-04/detailed

Last edited:

GB

Established Member
Train is going to Tinsley. Don’t think Freightliner went there before.

Freightmaster

Established Member
Train is going to Tinsley.
First train is due to run next Wednesday in a similar path to the Doncaster Railport schedule:

Don’t think Freightliner went there before.
No, but I understand that FL will also be running trains to/from Tinsley in a few weeks time!

MARK

ANTONOV 12BP

Just a quick update regarding the new GBRF working:

66747 is scheduled to take the honours for the first GBRF working, albeit the service is departing from Peterborough Virtual as opposed to Doncaster for today.

It seems like they have chosen to retain the original Freightliner timetable after all!

Also something that is less concerning and more related to FL side of things, a new timetable has now been established by RTT for the Freightliner Doncaster Intermodal service that is now scheduled to take place from Ipswich instead.

Spartacus

Established Member
Isn't there some sort of weight limit on the bridge which, in MGR days, reduced overall train length?

The only restriction I can recall from my days planning freight over was that loadeds had to be a Class 7, regardless of speed, as two weren't allowed to pass on the bridge. This caused some confusion on long distance stuff which was capable of higher speeds, but would be regulated as if it was only 45mph.

stantheman

On Moderation
On the subject of Tinsley area , is any part of the former yard still in use and how do I get to the site by public transport ?

Richard P

There's been discussion elsewhere on the forum in the past in relation to freight (and especially logging trains) on the West Highland line. Up in Fort William last week I was intrigued to see this movement planned: (7Y04) Realtime Trains - 7Y04 1340 Corpach Pulp Mill to Fort William J.Yd T.C.
Having seen it activated on the day I decide to make the short trip over to Corpach to see what it was as it only runs as far as Fort William Yard. In the end despite being activated it didn't run and that seems to be the case every day it is scheduled. So two quick questions:
1. Does anyone know what this schedule is for and
2. Has it/does it ever run?

stantheman

On Moderation
There's been discussion elsewhere on the forum in the past in relation to freight (and especially logging trains) on the West Highland line. Up in Fort William last week I was intrigued to see this movement planned: (7Y04) Realtime Trains - 7Y04 1340 Corpach Pulp Mill to Fort William J.Yd T.C.
Having seen it activated on the day I decide to make the short trip over to Corpach to see what it was as it only runs as far as Fort William Yard. In the end despite being activated it didn't run and that seems to be the case every day it is scheduled. So two quick questions:
1. Does anyone know what this schedule is for and
2. Has it/does it ever run?
It never runs

Oxfordblues

The only traffic I can think of is imported loco coal for the Jacobite brought into Corpach by ship, but I guess it's normally delivered by road.