• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Rail Freight Flows and News UK

Richard P

The only traffic I can think of is imported loco coal for the Jacobite brought into Corpach by ship, but I guess it's normally delivered by road.
That's a very good shout - what fooled me was seeing it activated but when I have looked subsequently it seems it's activated every day. I did though at least have the pleasure of seeing the Jacobite roll through the station

It never runs
Thanks for confirming - much appreciated

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

ExRes

Established Member
Could be the first DCR run to Middleton Towers tomorrow, schedules currently showing for Chaddesden to Middleton then on to Ravenhead overnight

Freightmaster

Established Member
I've just noticed these today, looks like a steel service in and out of Stanton Gate, https://www.realtimetrains.co.uk/se...21-05-26/0000-2359?stp=WVS&show=all&order=wtt
It's scrap metal - there was a similar train a couple of weeks ago to Immingham (operated by GBRf)

I didn't even know there was anything left at Stanton Gate!
It's been earmarked for development:

MARK

Last edited:

Geeves

Established Member
I've just noticed these today, looks like a steel service in and out of Stanton Gate, https://www.realtimetrains.co.uk/se...21-05-26/0000-2359?stp=WVS&show=all&order=wtt
I didn't even know there was anything left at Stanton Gate!

What Mark said haha, beaten to it

stantheman

On Moderation
Was looking at Settle to Carlisle freight on RTT recently and noticed the Mountsorrel to Carlisle has vanished .

Freightmaster

Established Member
Was looking at Settle to Carlisle freight on RTT recently and noticed the Mountsorrel to Carlisle has vanished .
It was only ever an 'as required' STP working - ballast for Carlisle has recently been coming from Redcar instead
(nothing by rail this week from any source, so the stockpile must be OK)

MARK

As if by magic...

6C89 - https://www.realtimetrains.co.uk/service/gb-nr:R03516/2021-06-02/detailed

MARK

Last edited:

stantheman

On Moderation
Noticed on Friday there was a new 6S52 Hunslet to Mossend via S@C and return via ECML today . There have been trains from Arcow to Mossend on the past but they have run as 6S05 . Rumour on another site this new service is to do with a new railfrright site at Mossend

Freightmaster

Established Member
Noticed on Friday there was a new 6S52 Hunslet to Mossend via S@C and return via ECML today .
Actually ran as 6S32

There have been trains from Arcow to Mossend on the past but they have run as 6S05 . Rumour on another site this new service is to do with a new railfrright site at Mossend
Correct - but unlike the previous flow, this train is loaded from Mossend.

MARK

stantheman

On Moderation
Light engine move today from Grangemouth to Ravenstruther and back ( former coal loading point ) . Thought to be coming back into use as a ballast loading point

Meerkat

Established Member
Some excellent news rom DB Cargo UK: DB Cargo UK to invest £2.6 million in new automotive facilities at Toton

A welcome boost for through Channel Tunnel freight and the prospect of a new lease of life for the 5-unit covered automotive carriers (WIAs) scattered around the network, particularly at Didcot Yard.
Shame they can’t have a loop off the Derby-Crewe line near the factory, but I guess even a simple loop is too expensive and takes too long these days. But certainly a start!

stantheman

On Moderation
I've noticed this new 4s04 Doncaster to Mossend service on RTT today, although showing runs as required today is this due to start in the near future? Thanks for any info.

Not very photographer friendly times did this . Hopefully it’s not instead of the Elderslie

atillathehunn

Established Member
Yes it’s becoming more frequent . Running today 66756
Good to hear. I seem to recall there were originally discussions about a Doncaster and Elderslie service. ISTR that training runs were done with a 92 - I guess no chance that it will be electric-hauled?

waverley47

Good to hear. I seem to recall there were originally discussions about a Doncaster and Elderslie service. ISTR that training runs were done with a 92 - I guess no chance that it will be electric-hauled?

Can't do the Edinburgh sub under the wires unfortunately, it's been stuck in development hell since 2012 or so. Long gone are the days of sending electric freight through Waverley in the small hours.

AFAIK, this service is a different flow from the Elderslie one. It may be that they will run on alternate days, as the Elderslie flow is currently three days a week, however both paths are still in there with different timings and reporting numbers.

ScottDarg

I've noticed this new 4s04 Doncaster to Mossend service on RTT today, although showing runs as required today is this due to start in the near future? Thanks for any info.

Believed that it will start up in the near future. Planned to run 6 days per week.

Not very photographer friendly times did this . Hopefully it’s not instead of the Elderslie

Depends where you are and the time of year, but the Southbound times aren't too bad: https://www.realtimetrains.co.uk/service/gb-nr:H03711/2021-08-09/detailed

My understanding is that the Mossend service will be for a totally different customer, so I would expect that both will run rather than it being a one or the other type situation.

Last edited:

atillathehunn

Established Member
Can't do the Edinburgh sub under the wires unfortunately, it's been stuck in development hell since 2012 or so. Long gone are the days of sending electric freight through Waverley in the small hours.

AFAIK, this service is a different flow from the Elderslie one. It may be that they will run on alternate days, as the Elderslie flow is currently three days a week, however both paths are still in there with different timings and reporting numbers.
That's embarrassing - I had always assumed the sub was wired.

Rail Ranger

Our of interest, what is the problem with sending electrically-hauled freight through Waverley in the small hours?

waverley47

Our of interest, what is the problem with sending electrically-hauled freight through Waverley in the small hours?

Edinburgh used to have two through lines and was a lot quieter at night.

Now, with quite an intensive timetable, earlier and later trains, with a lot stabling in Waverley overnight, and with the sleeper taking up two through platforms for several hours at a time, the station is quite full overnight. Some of the station overnight is used for track inspections or work, and there's usually a blockage overnight somewhere in the central belt.

There's also issues with electric haulage. Most electric hauled trains tend to go west coast, whereas most east coast trains travel off wires for quite a distance. No use using an electric loco if you'd have to change halfway, and if it's diesel hauled you may as well send it around the sub.

Millerhill isn't as big a traffic producer as it used to be, so less freight in general coming up the ECML.

There are also gauge issues in the tunnels either side of Waverley for large containers, which don't exist if you send them around the sub.

In all, it's just easier to use diesel and send it the back way, keeps it out the way and you don't have to worry about any if these.

stantheman

On Moderation
Many years ago return car empties from Bathgate to the WCML were hauled by a 90 from Millerhill viaWaverley ...I have a slide of 90135 in grey RFD livery on it . The Carlisle to Millerhill engineers was also often 90 via Waverley , I have a pic of 90024 on it

Donny_m

On Moderation
Anyone know why Mondays Acton to Portbury stone train stopped short in St Philips marsh HSTD and hasn’t done anything else since? Haven’t been to see it but very weird.

ExRes

Established Member
DC Railfreight ran an empty Willesden to Tytherington and loaded return service on Friday/Saturday and are schedules are currently in place for Willesden - Calvert - Willesden and Willesden - Tytherington - Willesden on alternate days next week, is anyone aware of whether this is 'new to rail' work or if DCR are simply filling in for another FOC?