Rail Freight Flows

Discussion in 'Allocations, Diagrams & Timetables' started by pmb, 15 Nov 2019.

1. stantheman

stantheman Member

The last one I can find on scotrail website is 66182 in early April . How is the fuel moved now ? Just Dalston and Prestwick flows remain up here now

2. Donny_m

Donny_m Member

Where in Wales?

3. furnessvale

furnessvale Established Member

I have no idea. Simply working off their press release.

4. furnessvale

5. ExRes

ExRes Established Member

Sorry but I just don't ever seem to be able to link from Chromebook, there's a report on WorldCargo News, dated today, in which they claim that DRS have taken over the GBRf contract following a competitive tender

6. furnessvale

The Cloburn Quarry Company is reopening Ravenstruther coal loading point to load out trainloads of granite.

7. Tubeboy

Tubeboy Member

From what I’ve read on Facebook tonight, it’s by road. A Colas driver stated that the flow to Sinfin will restart next month, presumably operated by Colas. A Colas 67 was down the branch earlier today route learning.

8. Photohunter71

Photohunter71 Member

That's promising!! Where will the trains be going to after being loaded at Ravenstruther? Any further info will be welcome!

9. furnessvale

No further info at the moment but Cloburn supply a lot of track ballast.

In other good news GBRF are purchasing 32 additional Ecofret container flats from WH Davis with possibly more to follow.

Latest from RGI, these wagons are triples, so that makes 96 beds altogether.

Last edited: 14 Jan 2020
  10. ExRes

ExRes Established Member

Great news they're coming from WH Davis

11. pmb

pmb Member

Just looking at RTT listings for Doncaster today and came across a Doncaster iPort to South Bank Tees Dock (DRS) night time path. I looked further and from the 9th these have been running somewhat sporadically from Daventry to iPort, then from iPort to Tees Dock, as separate workings (though some still go directly between the two without a stop at iPort). Of course, a new DRS flow did start between Tees and Daventry some weeks ago (see earlier posts) but I'm not aware of a stop at iPort, up till now.
    Maybe it picks up more traffic there?

By the way, 100th post from ExRes! I never thought there would be this much to talk about and report when I started the thread. I was just thinking of an occasional post about an occasional new flow perhaps...

12. Freightmaster

Freightmaster Established Member

In all the 25 years that I have been running Freightmaster, I can't remember a time with as much
    positive news/optimism/excitement in the railfreight industry as there is today! :D

MARK

13. hwl

hwl Established Member

Tees Dock to Doncaster is presumably the Ikea containers with the empties the other way?

14. pmb

pmb Member

Yes, that flow does exist but is operated by GBRf. Note that the flow I was talking about is operated by DRS (clue in the destination: South Bank Tees Dock DRS). Also RTT shows the DRS flow running alongside the GBRf one, proving that it's an extra working.

Last edited: 14 Jan 2020
  15. Photohunter71

Photohunter71 Member

Great! Thanks for the info! I suspect if it's ballast, there will be plenty headed for Millerhill?

16. Photohunter71

Photohunter71 Member

Bring it on! Postitive rail freight news is what we want!

17. pmb

pmb Member

A post on DB's Twitter page today: ''@URMltd sent our 100th train via @DBCargoUK from our Tilbury plant, carrying furnace ready cullet for remelt in Cheshire!! ..4561 lorries not clogging up the M1 / M6 ..Choo Choo!!'' (bit cheesy... :))
    For anyone who doesn't know, the cullet goes to Ince & Elton Encirc Works for melting down. The works also receives trainloads of sand from Middleton Towers in Cambridgeshire.

Last edited: 20 Jan 2020
  18. muddythefish

muddythefish On Moderation

Is this new to rail traffic or (more likely) pinched from another rail freight operator?

It's disappointing when you hope to see new rail traffic won from roads but it's in fact the RF companies just winning business from each other

19. ExRes

ExRes Established Member

It's not been 'pinched' at all, DRS have won the contract by competitive tender, exactly the same as any contract in any type of business, it's simply that DRS have offered better terms than GBRf, obviously the more new work the railway can pick up is what we all want, at least in this case the work has remained on rail rather than being picked up by road transport

20. Mugby

Mugby Established Member

I saw a Freightliner train heading west through Lincoln Station yesterday afternoon. Where would it have come from?

The only place I could think of was Immingham but are containers handled there? Many of the wagons were empty but there were containers on some of them.

21. Johnny609

Johnny609 New Member

What time was that? RTT will reveal the train.

22. Mugby

Mugby Established Member

It was just after 1600, Wednesday, 15th.

23. 158756

158756 Member

Looks like a train running from Felixstowe to Doncaster, though Realtime Trains suggests that would be operated by GBRf.

24. Shimbleshanks

Shimbleshanks Member

There are no regular container train services to or from Immingham as far as I know. There is a bit of container shipping but mostly short-sea stuff which tends not to use train connections in this country.

25. Peter Bonner

Peter Bonner Member

IIRC there was a shortlived container service from Warrington Arpley to Immingham in the later 1990s but it didnt last too long. Used to pass through Barnetby early afternoon? It was 56 hauled.

26. xotGD

xotGD Established Member

I suspect that Mugby was using the term 'Freightliner' to describe the type of train, rather than the company of that name.

I guess we are supposed to call them Intermodals these days, rather than 'Liners.

27. furnessvale

14 Jan saw the start of a twice weekly cement train hauled by GBRF from Padeswood to Avonmouth.

28. pmb

pmb Member

That's interesting, for a long time it seemed as though that plan had fizzled out. I presume this is a move from road transport?
    Also, on GBRf's fb page there was a post today saying that GBRf have got the job of delivering the new Merseyrail 777 units from Frethun, Calais, to Kirkdale Depot, in Merseyside. Not really a rail freight flow, but still more business for a FOC.

29. daccer

daccer Member

Havent they done some gauge clearance on the line from Immingham to allow for container trains to run - NR spent some money I believe in the expectation of something running that would justify the work

30. BRX

BRX Established Member

They already delivered one this week.