Rail Freight Flows

Discussion in 'Allocations, Diagrams & Timetables' started by pmb, 15 Nov 2019.

1. Dr Hoo

Dr Hoo Established Member

Noting that the established Clitheroe to Avonmouth Cement flow has been cancelled recently is Padeswood genuinely new traffic or just a substitution (over a shorter distance, actually)?

2. furnessvale

furnessvale Established Member

Yes, I hadn't noticed the cancellations. Padeswood sidings have only recent repened and it makes sense for the cement company to use them in this way.

3. 158756

158756 Member

Immingham I would have thought was likely to suffer the same problems as Liverpool (which I think is a bigger container port) in being too close to most of the inland terminals for rail to be competitive.

4. high camera

high camera Member

Hansons cement at Clitheroe is on its annual shutdown for maintenance work, no cement being produced so no trains required.

5. furnessvale

Or more correctly, no trains can be dispatched from that plant hence the use of Padeswood. I wonder if the traffic will revert to Clitheroe after the shutdown or maybe both plants will dispatch by rail?

6. daccer

daccer Member

They have spent a lot of cash at Padeswood on tickling up the sidings etc and I doubt if they would do that if they were not thinking of a long term use.

7. furnessvale

Yes. I think the first train(s) out of Padeswood went elsewhere than Avonmouth and I am sure that will continue even if the Avonmouth traffic reverts to Clitheroe after the shut down.

8. Chris 76

Chris 76 Member

Found this when I checked out Padeswood after seeing it from the A483 after Christmas:
    The project also includes installing new cement silos alongside the existing railway line to allow up to three trains a week to be loaded for deliveries to the depots at Kings Cross, London, Avonmouth, Bristol or Belshill, Glasgow depending on demand. At present, the rail link is only used to bring in coal to fire the kilns.
    https://www.hanson-communities.co.uk/en/padeswood-cement-works-planning-application

9. pmb

pmb Member

Here's a link to a slightly more up to date article (02/09/2019) - the article above appears to have been written only shortly after construction commenced.
    https://www.hanson-communities.co.u...for-cement-load-at-padeswood-in-three-decades
    The point of posting this article is that interestingly it mentions nothing about Avonmouth like the previous one. Maybe this confirms what people have been saying that traffic from Clitheroe will run to Avonmouth when Clitheroe starts up again.

Last edited: 20 Jan 2020
  10. high camera

high camera Member

Clitheroe cement appears to be running again, there is a train in yard now and smoke coming from factory chimney

11. Far north 37

Far north 37 Established Member

66789 working 6C03 later this evening to carlisle yard is the train in question.

12. 158756

158756 Member

According to RTT this train ran three times last week as well, so what was it carrying then it the factory was closed?

13. james_the_xv

james_the_xv Member

Route learning?

14. Far north 37

Deleted.

15. Far north 37

No it ran under its normal headcode route learning loco would have been under a class 0 headcode.

16. furnessvale

The manufacturing plant may have been closed for maintenance but they probably have on site silo storage.

17. Far north 37

The train is actually for mossend recesses in carlisle enroute.

18. furnessvale

19. ExRes

ExRes Established Member

Excellent news which will help Cappagh/DCR get some more lorry loads off our overcrowded roads, the only slight disappointment is that they're unlikely to be built in the UK like the Ecofret2 intermodal triple platforms ordered from WH Davis by VTG for GBRf

20. 158756

158756 Member

21. ExRes

ExRes Established Member

I believe they have been ordered to work with the DCR 60s on in house Cappagh aggregate and construction jobs which is work new to the railway

22. pmb

pmb Member

DCR have a path in the system for a new overnight service, 22:10 6Z60 from Carlisle to Willesden. ExRes, on the DCR locos thread, notes that 60028, after working the 1546 6Z20 Chaddesden to Kingmoor yesterday as its maiden run, looks to be working this new flow this evening.
    Does anyone know what this new flow will be about? I presume it will be recycled ballast as it's coming from Kingmoor Yard?

23. furnessvale

Just a couple of points to bring this thread up to the front.

Trainloads of building waste have restarted from Cricklewood to Calvert, and today is the first day of car trains from Dagenham to Garston being hauled by DRS.

24. Momo and diggy

Momo and diggy Member

Is the Dagenham to garston being hauled by a class 88

25. Mag_seven

Mag_seven Established Member

According to post #94 in this thread, yes.

26. growler373

growler373 New Member

Apparently the curvature at Garston is too much for an 88, 66434 was on it yesterday

27. furnessvale

That is interesting. A curve too much for a Bo-Bo so they put a Co-Co on the job!

28. billh

billh Member

Aggregate test working last night, Peak Forest to Salford Hope St with a full consist of shortened coal hoppers. Potential for more vehicles with greater total payload for the same length of train.

29. AndrewE

AndrewE Established Member

That is counter-intuitive. You would think that the space taken up by buffers and drawgear would be better used by filling in the gap between 2 short wagons and putting stone in it!
    If it is the case (that shorter-wheelbase wagons can carry more) I wonder why firms have invested in all these 100-ton hoppers? Maybe the weight savings by doing away with bogies lets you fill a stone wagon deeper.

30. furnessvale

You have got the wrong end of the stick.

Up to now the wagons have been ex coal bogie hoppers which are longer and cannot be fully filled with stone without going overweight. By cutting 10ft+ out of the length of each wagon, they can still be loaded to 102 tonnes but more wagons can fit in a given length.