• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Rail from Newcastle Central towards Utilita Arena

Status
Not open for further replies.

Swanny200

Thought I would post it here as on google maps, about half a mile of that still looks useable, but the majority of it onwards from there is disused. As you come out of Newcastle central Southbound, there is a spur to the right which on the maps goes on a viaduct towards the Utilita Arena, I know that there is a Network Rail depot there, so is it used as a turnback or for access to said NR depot or is it completely unused and what was it previously?

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Veteran Member
Historically it was the main line to Carlisle, which crossed the Tyne at Scotswood. Can't say about current usage.

FQTV

It's known as Forth Banks Siding now, and it's used to stable stock.

Northern has three weekday paths in there at the moment, from what I can see, and HSTs, Voyagers and engineering stock can sometimes be seen down there, too.

The track does still extend some way beyond the end of the live line. It finally peters out somewhere behind Arnold Clark's SEAT dealership on Scotswood Road.

xotGD

Established Member
After Scotswood Bridge closed, the line still conveyed coal trains to Stella North power station until that closed. There was also cement traffic to somewhere along Scotswood way.

Swanny200

Thanks for clearing that up, from the maps there doesn't look like there are any buffers or stop boards so is there like an unofficial place to stop and assuming by the state of the track, nothing goes down to the NR sidings at Paradise House anymore?

swt_passenger

Veteran Member
Thanks for clearing that up, from the maps there doesn't look like there are any buffers or stop boards so is there like an unofficial place to stop and assuming by the state of the track, nothing goes down to the NR sidings at Paradise House anymore?
Here’s the page from the SA, I imagine that stop board at 40 ch is the normal limit for stuff like Voyagers laying over.

EE07106E-490D-470D-8B2E-051D126428B7.jpeg

Status
Not open for further replies.