• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Rail Head Treatment Train workings 2017

Status
Not open for further replies.

Toad2017

I have seen lots of photos of a pair of 20's doing RHTT...How can i find out if they are doing a RHTT service near me please? Sorry if posted in wrong thread.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

DarloRich

Veteran Member
Neither then. Best you will get is an mpv. You may get a 73 if you head to clapham. Perhaps
The 20's only run one circuit out of york covering harrogate and west yorkshire. They may also appear on the selby/ Sheffield legs however 68's are also in use

theblackwatch

Established Member
The 20's only run one circuit out of york covering harrogate and west yorkshire. They may also appear on the selby/ Sheffield legs however 68's are also in use

This year, it's been 66s on the Bradford/Ilkley/Knaresborough circuit so far, with the 20s on the Sheffield/Hull working.

yorksrob

Veteran Member
I've seen them twice accidentally this week - once coming through Wakefield Westgate on Monday morning and yesterday evening coming through Normanton.

Always nice to see/hear them around :)

Of course, in terms of the O.P's patch, oh for the days of a converted SUB or EPB !

Last edited:

xotGD

Established Member
I've seen the N/W Yorks set a couple of times at Leeds. Both times it was 66s.

Mind, the 73s on RHTT duty at Chatham yesterday was a much nicer sight!

Does anyone know what class is normally working the RHTT off Carlisle that ventures down to Skipton?

TimboM

Established Member
I've seen the N/W Yorks set a couple of times at Leeds. Both times it was 66s.

Mind, the 73s on RHTT duty at Chatham yesterday was a much nicer sight!

Does anyone know what class is normally working the RHTT off Carlisle that ventures down to Skipton?

DRS 66s by the looks of it. If you go on Railcam's Facebook there's an interesting photo from today of 66428 and 66302 over Ribblehead Viaduct on 3J11 (with their RHTT tanks still jetting away!) hooked onto the back of 6M95 (Hull Coal Terminal - New Biggin British Gypsum) giving it assistance after DB 66096 ran into difficulty.

xotGD

Established Member
DRS 66s by the looks of it. If you go on Railcam's Facebook there's an interesting photo from today of 66428 and 66302 over Ribblehead Viaduct on 3J11 (with their RHTT tanks still jetting away!) hooked onto the back of 6M95 (Hull Coal Terminal - New Biggin British Gypsum) giving it assistance after DB 66096 ran into difficulty.
Thanks!

johnnychips

Established Member
I know I could Google it but what’s an RHTT? Just like the convention of not using station codes on the first post, could this please apply to other not-often-used rail abbreviations on the Forum? That is, I don’t mean things like HST or EMT.

As a guess R=Rail and the last T=Train?

Last edited:

yorksrob

Veteran Member
I know I could Google it but what’s an RHTT? Just like the convention of not using station codes on the first post, could this please apply to other rail abbreviations?

As a guess R=Rail and the last T=Train?

Rail Head Treatment Train - to get rid of the leaf mulch !

johnnychips

Established Member
Rail Head Treatment Train - to get rid of the leaf mulch !

Thanks Rob! I had some idea when a water tank was mentioned.

Silly question again, but does it ‘squirt’ all the time; or does it automatically detect poor adhesion and operate then; or does the driver/some other employee realise poor adhesion and do it manually?

yorksrob

Veteran Member

Silly question again, but does it ‘squirt’ all the time; or does it automatically detect poor adhesion and operate then; or does the driver/some other employee realise poor adhesion and do it manually?

I'm not sure, but I assume it squirts all the while someone has it switched on. The one I saw on Monday was definitely squirting as it went through the platform at Wakefield Westgate !

DarloRich

Veteran Member

No there is a man in the cab who turns the spraying equipment on and off. There are locations where spraying is not allowed such as over a level crossing.

jbqfc

No there is a man in the cab who turns the spraying equipment on and off. There are locations where spraying is not allowed such as over a level crossing.

i often seen them on the Brighton road crossing in Crawley and they are nearly always spraying

Freightmaster

Established Member
I believe that a pair of 20's worked between Bridlington and Scarborough earlier this week.
Is this a regular move and which RHTT route would it be on?
That's one of the two York-based RHTT trains (3S14/15) - it visits Bridlington MWFO evenings,
and runs as far as Hull on TThSO afternoons.

MARK

Condor7

I am a member of Marks site Freightmaster which each year has a full list of the RHTT’s their routes and times. With of course all his other freight timetables.

Status
Not open for further replies.