• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Rail industry preparing for national strikes

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

mrd269697

Lot of anti union nonsense here. Like it or not, the railway is a well union backed industry. Do I think the RMT always get things right? No. Do I think they have a tendency to be a bit militant at times? Of course. But any workers rights you enjoy now in your current roles are the results of unions in the past. If you want to live in a works where workers are shafted by their employers simply because ‘that’s the free market’ well I pity you. The rail industry will never have that happen. As I’ve said the RMT have done a lot of things I don’t agree with, but I’d never have it any other way than to be a member of them. My Toc wasn’t involved in the voting process so I inevitably had no role in the outcome of the vote.

All rail workers are useful, guards, drivers, signallers, platform and station staff, revenue protection, customer relations, network rail ect. We all do a vital job.

There’s nothing wrong with formulating our own opinions but I cannot stand people lambasting unions for standing up for worker rights. Usually coming from those who’ve never had to worry about job security themselves.

Butts

Veteran Member
Lot of anti union nonsense here. Like it or not, the railway is a well union backed industry. Do I think the RMT always get things right? No. Do I think they have a tendency to be a bit militant at times? Of course. But any workers rights you enjoy now in your current roles are the results of unions in the past. If you want to live in a works where workers are shafted by their employers simply because ‘that’s the free market’ well I pity you. The rail industry will never have that happen. As I’ve said the RMT have done a lot of things I don’t agree with, but I’d never have it any other way than to be a member of them. My Toc wasn’t involved in the voting process so I inevitably had no role in the outcome of the vote.

All rail workers are useful, guards, drivers, signallers, platform and station staff, revenue protection, customer relations, network rail ect. We all do a vital job.

There’s nothing wrong with formulating our own opinions but I cannot stand people lambasting unions for standing up for worker rights. Usually coming from those who’ve never had to worry about job security themselves.

But when it comes to pay some are more "vital" than others judging by the amount they are remunerated ?

nuneatonmark

Unions are essential when protecting essential workers rights, but this issue isn't about members being 'shafted' by their employers or workers rights, it's a nationwide cost of living crisis, caused by a war. It affects everyone. Don't the unions have a responsibility to the interests of the whole of the country and not simply try to take advantage of it by getting more money from the government by blackmail? For me, this is when unions are completely out of order and have no sympathy from most of the public.

Dai Corner

Established Member
Unions are essential when protecting essential workers rights, but this issue isn't about members being 'shafted' by their employers or workers rights, it's a nationwide cost of living crisis, caused by a war. It affects everyone. Don't the unions have a responsibility to the interests of the whole of the country and not simply try to take advantage of it by getting more money from the government by blackmail? For me, this is when unions are completely out of order and have no sympathy from most of the public.
No, they don't have a responsibility to the interests of the whole country, any more than a TOC does.

Taunton

Established Member
Lot of anti union nonsense here. Like it or not, the railway is a well union backed industry. Do I think the RMT always get things right? No. Do I think they have a tendency to be a bit militant at times? Of course. But any workers rights you enjoy now in your current roles are the results of unions in the past.
Really? I'm not in a union. But I'm paid more, with a range of other benefits, than any of the union grades under discussion here. How does that work then?

LAX54

Established Member
Do not think this is all about pay, I also think it is due to job losses and restructure that has little regard to safety and workload, I have now retired, but was bubbling away 2 or 3 years ago.

ainsworth74

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Global Moderator
I think we're done here for now. People have had plenty of time to express their views and argue the merits but for the time being their isn't much in the way of news beyond the RMT having gotten a strong mandate for further industrial action. Once there is information about other ballots or outcomes of ballots from other Unions like TSSA and ASLEF or once their is news about how the RMT disputes are developing such as possible deals or strike dates then please feel free to report this post and the Forum Staff will look at reopening the thread at that time for further discussion.

In the meantime thank you all for your contributions :)

Status
Not open for further replies.