• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Rail Industry Recovery Group

Status
Not open for further replies.

Nicholas Lewis

Established Member
TSSA & RMT have posted the remit of a new industry body

Areas of work to include

1. To facilitate revenue growth through supporting a recovery of rail services and passenger usage by enabling and promoting safe rail journeys restoring passenger confidence in our rail product.

2. To understand and address the implications of home working, changing passenger requirements and the use of new technology on the rail network and the potential impact on the current provision of services to passengers in a post coronavirus world.

3. To consider the implications of the current funding arrangements for the industry and pressures caused by revenue and passenger reductions by identifying opportunities to reduce the operating costs of the railway and increase effectiveness.

4. To support the continued investment in rolling stock, infrastructure and network enhancements.

5. To support rail employees’ by working on ways to provide greater employment security through an industry-wide transfer and re-deployment scheme, reviewing existing insourcing and outsourcing arrangements, role and flexible working, maintaining a sustainable pension scheme and recognise the important contribution rail employees continue to make.

6. To promote continuous improvement resulting in higher levels of employee engagement, diversity and inclusion, skills development, safety and overall performance that increases value for money. Improving policies and working practices resulting in reduced costs through improved effectiveness.
Half the reps are union General Secretaries, Andrew Haines and a few TOC reps.

Not sure if it has been more widely promoted or its a 'secret squirrel' group that unions have revealed.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

yorksrob

Veteran Member
Certainly there needs to be something like this. At the risk of sounding like Leslie Crowther, I'm sure a good proportion of passengers can be won back so long as the price is right, assuming the nitwits in charge of the country actually end lockdown at some stage.

Will it be anough to keep the treasury at bay.

On Moderation
Jeepers. Yet another industry talking shop that will achieve nothing.

DB

Their first task will be to get the government to stop trying to scare people off public transport!

Glenn1969

Established Member
But that won't happen until we have got rid of or severely reduced the virus. So come back to this in another nine months

Bald Rick

Veteran Member
But that won't happen until we have got rid of or severely reduced the virus. So come back to this in another nine months

Too late then. Planning needs to start now (or, in fact, months ago, which is when it did).

DB

"Got rid of" - are there people out there who actually still believe that this is a possibility?

Established Member
It is if you shut the border for the whole year and lockdown until May. But we know that isn't going to happen
It still wouldn't get rid of the virus and its delusional to think otherwise. It's here, and it's here to stay no matter what Boris or Sturgeon have to say.

squizzler

Established Member
This sounds like the start of a more Germanic relationship between trades unions and employers, which ought be good for both parties and the industry as a whole.

There is so much exciting stuff happening in the rai industry now. With all the new trains and routes coming on stream, I think lots of new business is there for the taking, even if much of the old is gone for good. If this Rail Industry Recovery Group is harbinger of a new "can-do" spirit, and does not fall into the trap of trying to bring back the "bad old days" of mass commuting, we have so much to look forward to.

Last edited:

TheEdge

Established Member
This sounds like the start of a more Germanic relationship between trades unions and employers, which ought be good for both parties and the industry as a whole.

There is so much exciting stuff happening in the rai industry now. With all the new trains and routes coming on stream, I think lots of new business is there for the taking, even if much of the old is gone for good. If this Rail Industry Recovery Group is harbinger of a new "can-do" spirit, and does not fall into the trap of trying to bring back the "bad old days" of mass commuting, we have so much to look forward to.

As an industry I'd agree we need to accept that the day of 1000 people wedged onto a 600 seat train are gone and except for maybe a Monday morning and a Friday afternoon, perhaps, from the big city termini. I think one thing that really needs to be tackled is making group travel far more attractive, stop the cost of travelling with multiple people from ballooning compared to bundling into a car.

ainsworth74

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Global Moderator
We have endless threads to talk about the wider government strategies being employed to deal with Covid-19 so we absolutely don't need this thread to rehash the same well trodden ground.

Class 170101

Established Member
Its not just about reducing costs, to increase confidence investment needs to be shown in schemes whether that be full MML, TPE, Windermere, Bristol Temple Meads wiring schemes. HS2 2B western and 2B Eastern. Minimal investment will suggest that the government has no confidence in the railway as a whole and people should travel by other means.

Tezza1978

Its not just about reducing costs, to increase confidence investment needs to be shown in schemes whether that be full MML, TPE, Windermere, Bristol Temple Meads wiring schemes. HS2 2B western and 2B Eastern. Minimal investment will suggest that the government has no confidence in the railway as a whole and people should travel by other means.

Spot on. You'd think it would be a no brainer for Boris given his calls for levelling up Britain, "green investment", and his love for appearing at a building site with a hard hat and hi-vis for a photo op :rolleyes::rolleyes:

Class 170101

Established Member
Spot on. You'd think it would be a no brainer for Boris given his calls for levelling up Britain, "green investment", and his love for appearing at a building site with a hard hat and hi-vis for a photo op :rolleyes::rolleyes:

Ah But COVID prevents this sort of thing.

D6130

Established Member
Glad I'm retired! Let's hope that this won't be too painful for existing staff, but the upcoming changes are not going to be easy.

falcon

They can't do anything to Drivers. It's the all other grades that should be concerned.

Ashley Hill

Established Member
Clearly the parties concerned have seen C-19 as a way of shedding staff. However,whilst services are not as busy as before the pandemic passenger numbers are increasing. Will GBR try to harmonise all the T+Cs across the country to shed staff in this context?

scouseyb123

On Moderation
Judging by the last couple of weeks the passenger numbers are returning to near pre covid levels!

bouff34

What surprises me is that staffing costs amount to 30% of costs. Compare that to other areas, policing for example where staffing costs account for over 70% of budget.....
Policing is not a fair comparison. The costs are really high there because of the way that the final salary pension was funded i.e. all of the pensioners are and always were paid out of the current police budget. No pension pot exists because of the way it was historically done. This will (or should) gradually reduce as the percentage of new joiners and those that have been forced to transfer over to CARE pensions increase although it will take a long time as it also needs the pensioners under the old system (me included) to start popping their clogs...

Last edited:

dctraindriver

Policing is not a fair comparison. The costs are really high there because of the way that the final salary pension was funded i.e. all of the pensioners are and always were paid out of the current police budget. No pension pot exists because of the way it was historically done. This will (or should) gradually reduce as the percentage of new joiners and those that have been forced to transfer over to CARE pensions increase although it will take a long time as it also needs the pensioners under the old system (me included) to start popping their clogs...
It’s been pointed out many times by the media and a few on here how wages are a high proportion of costs in comparison to other costs on the railway which is why I made that comment. I’ll also be collecting my 87 pension in due course......

Status
Not open for further replies.