• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Rail line maps

Status
Not open for further replies.

urban469

I'm looking for a map of the NR rail lines (permanent ways?) around London. The reason is that I'm taking the Parly train from Paddington to West Ruislip, and I'd like to follow its progress.

(Noob post! Apologies for being dumb!).

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

swt_passenger

Veteran Member
If you are mainly interested in the London area, Joe Brown's atlas is pretty good, as it has the full NR and LU present routes shown geographically rather than as line diagrams, but also attempts to cover many of the lifted lines as well:

http://www.amazon.co.uk/London-Railway-Atlas-3rd-Brown/dp/0711037280

That's the 3rd edition (yet to be released), I've got the 2nd edition, which was a major improvement on the original...

Mutant Lemming

Established Member
I'm looking for a map of the NR rail lines (permanent ways?) around London. The reason is that I'm taking the Parly train from Paddington to West Ruislip, and I'd like to follow its progress.

(Noob post! Apologies for being dumb!).

There does seem to be some debate as to whether this is actually a 'parly' train or not. There was a definitive answer somewhere on one of the threads but I forgot what it was. (think I am developing Moo/SE)

sonic2009

Established Member
Better hurry up, as this service will cease to exist soon

I don't believe it's that stretch of the line they are trying to close. It is the route XC services used to take to get to Brighton.

Sent from my GT-I9000 using Tapatalk

I don't believe it's that stretch of the line they are trying to close. It is the route XC services used to take to get to Brighton.
Then my Brighton to Birmingham XC service went a diverted way in September 1996!
My run went Brighton - E. Croydon - Clapham Junc (where it stopped) - Kensington Olympia. It crossed the GWML near Wormwood Scrubs Park, went parallel to the WCML at Willesden Junc before heading south-west, crossing the GWML - Greenford line before picking up the GWML just east of ACtom Main Line station. It then crawled along the slow lines to Reading before heading to Didcot and beyond.
IF the Brighton service went along via Ruislip, then it must have been a diversionary route.

sonic2009

Established Member
43106 that was the route i was trying to explain, that is due for closure. Not the South Ruislip route as far as im aware.

Sent from my GT-I9000 using Tapatalk

mister-sparky

Better hurry up, as this service will cease to exist soon

the service the poster means is the once maybe twice a day service from paddington up the new north mainline to west ruislip.

the line they are trying to formally closed is around clapham junction. different part of town.

swt_passenger

Veteran Member
the service the poster means is the once maybe twice a day service from paddington up the new north mainline to west ruislip.

I think he's a bit early with this, but it will cease to be available when HS2 tales over the formation alongside the Central Line between Old Oak Common and the Northolt portal.

The Chiltern service ought to run for a good few years yet though...

Tiny Tim

That was bang out of date last time I used it. No Aylesbury Vale Parkway and no Corby. Don't get me wrong, it's awesome and major kudos goes to the guy who did it, but it badly needs updating.

The Adelstrop Railway Atlas is a work in progress. An update is due 'late spring 2012' so soon, hopefully. The cartographer is Richard Fairhurst, editor of Waterways World - a magazine probably not familiar to railway enthusiasts. Despite a few bits being out of date and occasional omissions it's still the best railway atlas I've seen. If it's ever completed it will include more detailed sections covering London and Birmingham.

Does everyone gets the 'Adelstrop' reference? I thought it was an anagram to start with. It isn't, it's a poem by Edward Thomas.

caliwag

Ah..Adelstrop, does sound like an anagram doesn't it? Oxford to Worcester line. Llovely poem, guess we've all been there: sudden realisation of quiet and yet there's the blackbird!

Edward Thomas suddenly gaining popularity (excellent) alerted to his poem 'Old man' recently...delightful.

ian13

The Adelstrop Railway Atlas is a work in progress. An update is due 'late spring 2012' so soon, hopefully. The cartographer is Richard Fairhurst, editor of Waterways World - a magazine probably not familiar to railway enthusiasts. Despite a few bits being out of date and occasional omissions it's still the best railway atlas I've seen. If it's ever completed it will include more detailed sections covering London and Birmingham.

Does everyone gets the 'Adelstrop' reference? I thought it was an anagram to start with. It isn't, it's a poem by Edward Thomas.

Here, here. I'm a great fan of the work.

Requeststop

That was bang out of date last time I used it. No Aylesbury Vale Parkway and no Corby. Don't get me wrong, it's awesome and major kudos goes to the guy who did it, but it badly needs updating.

The last up-date was in 2008/9 I think - been waiting for the latest additions - I don't think the cartographer is aware of how liked his work is.

PR1Berske

Established Member

Think that the updates are now 3 or so years late, so maybe nothing to come?

Bastiaan

The last up-date was in 2008/9 I think - been waiting for the latest additions - I don't think the cartographer is aware of how liked his work is.
It looks like he ignores you when you contact him about the map, which I can imagine if people keep asking for a new update. But he doesn't even respond when when you show respect for his work. Let's hope we can see a nice updated version soon, though :)

Doctor Fegg

Established Member
Not deliberately ignoring - I just need to get the time to do a proper update and let people know about it then!

As a poster up-thread has alluded, my day job is as editor of WW... or rather it was. At the start of this week I went freelance, as a writer, cartographer and web person. One of the things I'm hoping to do, now I'm not constantly shuttling up and down between Charlbury (home) and Burton (office), is get underway with the New Adlestrop again. (whisper it - I think it could even make a printed book one day)

I've actually mostly completed an update including Liverpool, Manchester and much of Lancashire. Just needs a bit of fine-tuning (delving through old timetables to make sure I've not missed any stations). And then, yes, there's recent developments to include - the full WHR, Corby, demoting the Cambridge-St Ives line from OOU to derelict ( :( ), many more...

In the meantime, thank you very much for the comments - it really means a lot to know it's appreciated and I'm only sorry I haven't had the chance to update it as much recently as it deserves!

Richard

Requeststop

Not deliberately ignoring - I just need to get the time to do a proper update and let people know about it then!

As a poster up-thread has alluded, my day job is as editor of WW... or rather it was. At the start of this week I went freelance, as a writer, cartographer and web person. One of the things I'm hoping to do, now I'm not constantly shuttling up and down between Charlbury (home) and Burton (office), is get underway with the New Adlestrop again. (whisper it - I think it could even make a printed book one day)

I've actually mostly completed an update including Liverpool, Manchester and much of Lancashire. Just needs a bit of fine-tuning (delving through old timetables to make sure I've not missed any stations). And then, yes, there's recent developments to include - the full WHR, Corby, demoting the Cambridge-St Ives line from OOU to derelict ( :( ), many more...

In the meantime, thank you very much for the comments - it really means a lot to know it's appreciated and I'm only sorry I haven't had the chance to update it as much recently as it deserves!

Richard

How appreciative I am for this update - and welcome to this forum.

Status
Not open for further replies.