• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Rail Magazine Caledonian Sleeper

Status
Not open for further replies.

rail-britain

Established Member
What would the fare need to be to make the route commercially self funding?
A suitable fare wouldn't exist (well it would at around £4800 for a single)
Assume the current average single fare is £70 plus £40 supplement
To cover the costs it would need to be nearer £120 plus supplement (ie the supplement would be increased to £90)
However, this would push some customers away, so the fare would have to rise, and so on

I am therefore wondering if under a separate franchise the franchisee could setup their own fare structure (sleeper only fares) and whether there would be a business case for it...

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

34D

Established Member
I like the mix of what I will term economy class (seated coach) and business class (lie flat beds). I'd like to see whether the kind of aircraft lie-flat beds could work in a rail coach body - and specifically how many could be fitted in.

Ditto the double deck pods.

I do have concerns though about the subsidy needed. Putting the sleepers (ideally GW and Sc ones) into their own franchise is a good idea, but hopefully it can still retain the economies of scale and buying power of FirstGroup.

scotsman

Established Member
More than one ScotRail sleeper franchise?
There is nothing in what I have seen, other than the planned split in 2014 between :
ScotRail Regional (10 to 12 years)
ScotRail Sleepers (fixed 15 years)

Yes, but given the amount of time it takes Transport Scotland to process Freedom of Information requests, your data may be somewhat outdated
--- old post above --- --- new post below ---
To all those suggesting that the Mk3 SLEPs could last another 30 years, I've heard rumours (and I stress that they are nothing more than *RUMOURS*) that they aren't exactly in tip-top condition

Status
Not open for further replies.