• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Rail magazine for £9.42 for a quarter after cashback

Status
Not open for further replies.

pemma

Veteran Member
If anyone's interested Topcashback are offering £8.08 cashback on a magazine subscription at greatmagazines.co.uk They are offering Rail for £17.50 for a Quarterly subscription, which means you can pay £9.42 after cashback The offer ends in 2 days (Sunday.)

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Established Member
If anyone's interested Topcashback are offering £8.08 cashback on a magazine subscription at greatmagazines.co.uk They are offering Rail for £17.50 for a Quarterly subscription, which means you can pay £9.42 after cashback The offer ends in 2 days (Sunday.)
A bargain for such quality journalism as "Long Lost 350 back at Work" - about 315850!!

the sniper

Established Member
A bargain for such quality journalism as "Long Lost 350 back at Work" - about 315850!!

That was an amusing, I don't think that little mistake takes anything away from magazine though.

CHESHIRECAT

Anyone had problems with non-delivery ?

Their Customer Services don't respond to e-mails and normally I receive on a Saturday; nothing so far this week....

route:oxford

Established Member

I'd put money on it being a 3-monthly subscription rather than Quarterly.

Established Member
That is quarterly.

Quarterly, is an event (in England) that occurs on Quarter days:-

25th March (Lady Day)
24th June (Midsummer Day)
29th September (Michaelmas)
25th December Christmas)

Or in Scotland, on Quarter days:

28th February
28th May
28th August
28th November

So, not the same as 3-monthly.

Bungle73

On Moderation
Quarterly, is an event (in England) that occurs on Quarter days:-

25th March (Lady Day)
24th June (Midsummer Day)
29th September (Michaelmas)
25th December Christmas)

Or in Scotland, on Quarter days:

28th February
28th May
28th August
28th November

So, not the same as 3-monthly.
Quarterly just means every quarter of the year. How many months in a quarter of a year (the same spacing as in your list btw)? Exactly. ;)

From the OED:

That takes place, is done, etc., every quarter of a year; relating to, or covering, a quarter of a year.

Established Member
Quarterly just means every quarter of the year. How many months in a quarter of a year (the same spacing as in your list btw)? Exactly. ;)

From the OED:

Yes, people have tried that argument many times when I've put their businesses into administration when they've failed to meet their quarterly rent on or by the Quarter days.

They haven't persuaded the courts yet that quarterly payments aren't due on or by quarter days. :lol:

pemma

Veteran Member
Yes, people have tried that argument many times when I've put their businesses into administration when they've failed to meet their quarterly rent on or by the Quarter days.

They haven't persuaded the courts yet that quarterly payments aren't due on or by quarter days. :lol:

If that's the case it's a very weird one. Rent is due on 25th December?! If the 25th December is a Monday, then that means the last day the banks are processing payment is 22nd December and then not again until 27th December, so not very easy to pay on the 25th.

With a magazine subscription the publishing dates will likely be moved earlier to accommodate Christmas, so the payment can subsequently be moved earlier.

Established Member
If that's the case it's a very weird one. Rent is due on 25th December?! If the 25th December is a Monday, then that means the last day the banks are processing payment is 22nd December and then not again until 27th December, so not very easy to pay on the 25th.

On or by is the important part. There wasn't much worry about bank processing dates in the middle ages.

Even today, the tax year starts on 6th April. The old "Lady Day" following the change from the Julian to Gregorian Calendar.

whhistle

On Moderation
I just find it funny how people on this forum seem to try and out-geek each other by discussing non-important things like the above.

It doesn't really matter when quarterly is... it's the fact you can get a train magazine fairly cheap using topcashback. Thanks OP.

However, £70 for the year is still a lot. Although 26 issues is a minimum contract (that's rubbish? I thought it was a monthly magazine?). With the cashback, I could get a photography magazine for less than half of what they are offering.

Last edited:

merlodlliw

Established Member
Wrexham/ Denbighshire /Flintshire triangle
I just find it funny how people on this forum seem to try and out-geek each other by discussing non-important things like the above.

It doesn't really matter when quarterly is... it's the fact you can get a train magazine fairly cheap using topcashback. Thanks OP.

However, £70 for the year is still a lot. Although 26 issues is a minimum contract (that's rubbish? I thought it was a monthly magazine?). With the cashback, I could get a photography magazine for less than half of what they are offering.

I agree, there are various ways this can be taken, to me and me alone a quarter is 13 weeks, as used in production.

WatcherZero

Established Member
So as I understand it thats a website that passes the retailer kickbacks on to you and makes money from selling advertising instead?

I have used Topcashback for 3 years now and have got £826 with a further £180 in the pending stage

The referrals are quite good as well, currently it is £10

I have not seen any advertising on the site and I don't get spam

Peter Mugridge

Veteran Member
However, £70 for the year is still a lot. Although 26 issues is a minimum contract (that's rubbish? I thought it was a monthly magazine?).

It's fortnightly. But 26 issues is certainly not the minimum conbtract; if you look at page 44 of issue 690 the quarterly option is available direct from Bauer Media.

And quarterly in this instance is the 3 months from the date you take the subscription out...;)

Status
Not open for further replies.