• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

RAIL magazine

Status
Not open for further replies.

gaillark

I agree with so many other posters here that RAIL is out of touch, quite dull and needs complete overhaul.

Very disappointed with Nigel Harris and Co that he is sucking up to management and DfT bods. The magazine never challenged or been vocal to senior managers including ORR and DfT ministers over such poor design and now quality we have on our railways like the Class 80x.
RAIL kept silent over the poor interior design, lack of proper catering and lack of provision for bulky luggage such as surf boards or loads of bags for the Edinburgh fringe.
They never had any features or cared about on board catering, ambience or focusing on the passenger.
The magazine is full of type errors, poor quality graphics and very poor attention to deal and poor qaulity journalism.

Personally I do think if RAIL made more noise and challenged its chums we would have had a better designed InterCity Express train than whats on offer now but there again if we still had "British Rail" things would be a lot better.
When I recieve the magazine its in the recycling bin on the same day as its been recieved as there is nothing interesting in it.
Thank you for reminding me to cancel my direct debit and subscription which I am about to do next.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Neptune

Established Member
Personally I do think if RAIL made more noise and challenged its chums we would have had a better designed InterCity Express train than whats on offer now but there again if we still had "British Rail" things would be a lot better.
I really don’t think RAIL has that kind of influence to be honest. Yes it does come as across as a management suck up mag but to blame their lack of challenging the DfT for the poor AT300 interior design is a bit unfair. It is just a magazine at the end of the day.

Also Barry Doe does mention the poor interior and catering on the GWR sets quite a bit.

ChiefPlanner

Established Member
Since cancelling last year , I admit to flicking through in the newsagents , nothing since has compelled me to buy a copy.

I get Railway Magazine free c/o of the now open public library for a short term loan , and apart from the quality of production , it genuinely is interesting. I would buy if I did not get free access. (though I think Modern Railways is currently excellent on the real issues to face)

Ianigsy

Rail Enthusiast was revolutionary in its day. At a time when railway magazines pretty much meant the Ian Allan stable and one or two other steam-focused titles, it concentrated on the contemporary railway and demonstrated the amount of interest in the Deltics, 76s and 40s in their last years. That seemed to disappear somewhere between the end of the 50s and privatisation, and I have to say that I stopped reading it when I moved house in 2000 and needed to cut outgoings.

As things stand, I took out a digital subscription to the Railway Magazine last year and pick up.odd other things as and when they interest me.

Status
Not open for further replies.