• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Rail Operator 2 SWR

Status
Not open for further replies.

Drapes

Firstly I apologise if this has been spoken to death about. I've got an assessment for the role coming up. Can anyone shed any light on what to expect. Or if anyone has any experience. Much appreciate it.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

moorw003

I applied for this role on the 7th February, attended the assessment on the 21st Feb, interviewed on the 27th in the morning and was offered the job in the afternoon. The three week process has changed my life, and I'm absolutely delighted.

In terms of the assessments for this role - there will be 5. Colour vision, maths, remembering sequences, English/reading/ability to draw information, and one where you have to read a map/timetable and answer questions about arrivals/departures.

There were 9 people at my assessment, and 8 passed and the guy who didn't was sent home straight away for failing the colour test. I won't say the tests are easy, because they're only easy if you can do them. I personally found some straightforward (the maths), and some more challenging. The time limits are super strict, like the English test has 30 questions to answer in 7 minutes, but given someone else in the room only got 2/3 the way through their English one and stayed in the pool, don't despair.

It's not super formal, so go casual smart and in something comfortable so you relax more. Eat and drink plenty, breathe and I'm sure you'll be fine.

Good luck

Cassy j

I am finding the English exam difficult to prep for as I find it difficult recalling information? Do you recommend anything to help me practice the skill?

I applied for this role on the 7th February, attended the assessment on the 21st Feb, interviewed on the 27th in the morning and was offered the job in the afternoon. The three week process has changed my life, and I'm absolutely delighted.

In terms of the assessments for this role - there will be 5. Colour vision, maths, remembering sequences, English/reading/ability to draw information, and one where you have to read a map/timetable and answer questions about arrivals/departures.

There were 9 people at my assessment, and 8 passed and the guy who didn't was sent home straight away for failing the colour test. I won't say the tests are easy, because they're only easy if you can do them. I personally found some straightforward (the maths), and some more challenging. The time limits are super strict, like the English test has 30 questions to answer in 7 minutes, but given someone else in the room only got 2/3 the way through their English one and stayed in the pool, don't despair.

It's not super formal, so go casual smart and in something comfortable so you relax more. Eat and drink plenty, breathe and I'm sure you'll be fine.

Good luck

Bencronin

Good luck
That was really quick.
What depot is it for?

moorw003

Guildford.

Have a medical on the 9th March in Waterloo. Pending that, references and DBS which are both a formality, I start on the 23rd March.

Drapes

Good luck

Firstly congratulations on the role and for sharing the process. What sort of maths question came up? It's probably the only thing I'd need to touch up on. Cheers

GemGem

Good luck

I personally would never go in anything other than smart.

moorw003

Firstly congratulations on the role and for sharing the process. What sort of maths question came up? It's probably the only thing I'd need to touch up on. Cheers

All arithmetic. Addition, subtraction, division and multiplication. Nothing else, no fancy stuff. The other tests I needed the whole time, this one didn't get noticably harder as the questions got towards 30.

I personally would never go in anything other than smart.

After the assessment, the lady taking care of us said to go suited and booted for the interview. But the assessment is 3 hours long and you'll be spending at least 2/3 of that in a small, very hot an stuffy waiting room. I went in a smart shirt with grey chinos and smart black shoes. 1 person went in a suit, a couple of people in raggedy jeans and t-shirts totally casual, and the rest somewhere in the middle like me. The important thing is the assessment is not an interview and required a different level of attire, mainly from a practical perspective.

Vnal

Is it possible to know what’s involved in the maths test . Like an example question ? I last did maths in my gcse so worried

MiNi

Is it possible to know what’s involved in the maths test . Like an example question ? I last did maths in my gcse so worried
Quite basic maths. I'm no whizz kid in maths but passed it ok. Only one person failed in our group of 16 people. Usual stuff some adding,subtracting,dividing & times tables. Also things like ? + 7 = 15, or 25 - ? = 9, or ? x ?= 25.

Vnal

Quite basic maths. I'm no whizz kid in maths but passed it ok. Only one person failed in our group of 16 people. Usual stuff some adding,subtracting,dividing & times tables. Also things like ? + 7 = 15, or 25 - ? = 9, or ? x ?= 25.
Thank you soo much !!

holydevil

Good luck

Hi,
I have an face to face interview at Feltham station.........can anyone help me and let me know what type of questions to expect from them ?

jack785

Hi,
I have an face to face interview at Feltham station.........can anyone help me and let me know what type of questions to expect from them ?

Hi, just jumping on the end of this thread. I've got an online interview for the RO2(S) role at another station coming up soon. Any particularly interesting questions or the usual difficult customer, high pressure situation etc? Is there a lot of focus on the supervising element?

Stigy

Established Member
Hi, just jumping on the end of this thread. I've got an online interview for the RO2(S) role at another station coming up soon. Any particularly interesting questions or the usual difficult customer, high pressure situation etc? Is there a lot of focus on the supervising element?
Hi Jack,

Although I’ve never sat an RO2 interview, the standard format for SWR interviews is generally the same or at least very similar between roles. You’ll more than likely be asked about leading a team, teamwork, difficult or challenging conversations and obstructive colleagues. You’ll also be asked about safety critical examples too. The interview will be competency based, so you’ll be asked to give specific examples of a time you’ve had to do XY or Z for every question, rather than what you tend to do in certain situations. Good luck.

DorkingMain

I've had a couple of friends who were RO2s at Clapham Junction. They both had positive things to say about the team there and the way it was run.

jack785

Hi Jack,

Although I’ve never sat an RO2 interview, the standard format for SWR interviews is generally the same or at least very similar between roles. You’ll more than likely be asked about leading a team, teamwork, difficult or challenging conversations and obstructive colleagues. You’ll also be asked about safety critical examples too. The interview will be competency based, so you’ll be asked to give specific examples of a time you’ve had to do XY or Z for every question, rather than what you tend to do in certain situations. Good luck.

Excellent, cheers!

I've had a couple of friends who were RO2s at Clapham Junction. They both had positive things to say about the team there and the way it was run.

That's very good to hear. I'm applying for a much quieter station than Clapham but that definitely gives me a lot of confidence in the role. Thanks

Last edited:

TrainTube

I've got the assessment centre coming up soon. Would anyone know whether group exercises will take place after the tests or whether it will just be the test.

MiNi

I've got the assessment centre coming up soon. Would anyone know whether group exercises will take place after the tests or whether it will just be the test.
no one really knows.Pre covid there was up to 20 people in the waiting room then the classrooms for the tests etc. Not many assessment days have been mentioned really.

jack785

I have been to one recently, it was as simple as a colour vision test on your own, followed by taking 4 tests. Maths, reading comprehension, relaying information and a timetable comprehension task. There are no group exercises and aside the colour vision test which is obviously just done with one person at a time, you sit in a room as a group of up to 8 to complete the 4 tests.

TrainTube

I have been to one recently, it was as simple as a colour vision test on your own, followed by taking 4 tests. Maths, reading comprehension, relaying information and a timetable comprehension task. There are no group exercises and aside the colour vision test which is obviously just done with one person at a time, you sit in a room as a group of up to 8 to complete the 4 tests.
Great, this information is very useful. The latter 3 tests you mentioned, how challenging are they? What sort of stuff comes up (obviously I'm not asking for the questions but just a rough idea)

MiNi

Great, this information is very useful. The latter 3 tests you mentioned, how challenging are they? What sort of stuff comes up (obviously I'm not asking for the questions but just a rough idea)
I went for a commercial guard assessment day so my day was probably different to yours.

Status
Not open for further replies.