• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Rail operator GB freight

Status
Not open for further replies.

Gooner18

As per above title , is the role of a rail operator for GB freight just another title for a depot drover ?

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

GB

Established Member
cheers , so general duties if it’s a shunter. I’ve been told training is around a month to month and half ?

Rail Operator is indeed a shunter but has elements of loco preps and loco/train movements off network depending on location. 40 hours a week at roughly £33k p.a. 2-3 weeks classroom work then a further *3-4 weeks on-site (location) training.
*can be more or less depending on location.

Would a Rail Operator aka Shunter, receive the same level of training as a usual mainline driver? Does the training make them a fully qualified driver?
TIA.

Heaps92

Would a Rail Operator aka Shunter, receive the same level of training as a usual mainline driver? Does the training make them a fully qualified driver?
TIA.
To be a mainline driver.you need 10 week classroom training 2 week in simulator and 150 hours of train handling with a mentor *mininum*

Gooner18

On the face of it seems a good wage. However you don’t get final salary pension, also if I read up on it correctly, you don’t know your working week until the week before also you Can have you rest days cancelled ?

GB

Established Member
You are right about not knowing what you are working untill the week before (Thursday), but your rest days are yours unless you have offered to work them. If you are rest day not available they can't demand you come in.

D5581

You are right about not knowing what you are working untill the week before (Thursday), but your rest days are yours unless you have offered to work them. If you are rest day not available they can't demand you come in.

Not what I was told when I joined GB regarding rest day working. You had to state you wasn't available for rest day working otherwise they was entitled to make you work a rest day if you hadn't said you was unavailable.

tiptoptaff

Established Member
Not what I was told when I joined GB regarding rest day working. You had to state you wasn't available for rest day working otherwise they was entitled to make you work a rest day if you hadn't said you was unavailable.
Which is what GB said - they can't roster you if you're Rest Day Not Available

GB

Established Member
Which is what GB said - they can't roster you if you're Rest Day Not Available

Exactly. There are several different ways you can plan your RD's or RDW. You can be available all the time and they will roster you as they see fit, you can be RDNA all the time and they can't use you...or you can take it on a week by week basis but in that case you must tell them your availability by 1800 the Monday before the following week. Even if you are rest day available, if they haven't used you on the weekly or daily roster they can't then demand you come in should a job become available.

You can chop and change throughout the year as you see fit.

Status
Not open for further replies.