• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Rail operators call for leisure fares (especially day returns) to increase

Status
Not open for further replies.

LNW-GW Joint

Veteran Member
Having read through the RDG document, I think this is the guts of it (p53):
The paragraph on northern fares is especially interesting, drawing a distinction between "Northern"/PTE fares and those more likely to be operated by TPE.
This feels like premium pricing for fast services (or discounts for stoppers).

Rebalancing fares: options for governments
Our proposals centre on the principle that customers should only pay for the travel they need and the system is designed to give them the best value fare.
Alongside the introduction of single-leg pricing and with ‘pay-as-you go’ available for many journeys, changes in regulation provide the means to rebalance
fares to better reflect the experience of customers.
If the overall average fare is to remain unchanged, any reduction in fares in one area is likely to require an increase in fares elsewhere.
Initial analysis by KPMG, reflecting this revenue neutrality assumption, suggests that:

• In long-distance markets, some travelling in the core of the Peak and the core of the Off-Peak could see their fares go down, while those in the shoulder Peak might
see marginal average fare increases.
The overall aim though is to enable customers to travel at a time that suits them with more even pricing.

• In commuter markets, customers with more variable demand as well as those able to mix-and-match Peak and Off-Peak tickets could see fare reductions, with
those continuing to travel in Peak periods seeing no change.

These adjustments mean commuter markets may also, in some cases, see marginal fare rises for those travelling Off-Peak, although the implementation of price caps at the 7-day Season Ticket price would provide additional protection.
However, analysis indicates that the benefits to customers of changes in the long-distance market could result in growth in demand by up to 6.5% as well as reducing
crowding by spreading demand more evenly across capacity.
This would in turn give governments options to use the increased revenue generated from the additional demand to off-set any rises in the commuter
market, reinvest in lower fares in long-distance markets, or re-invest in to the network.
Across the network, fares reform could incentivise over 300 million journeys on services with capacity for growth over a ten-year period, in addition to the 1.7 billion
journeys which currently take place on the network.
It will of course take time for the generative effects of price changes to work through and predicted customer behaviours would need to be validated through early experiences of implementation.
For this reason, a funding process will need to be identified to manage the transition.

Catalysing the North
There are a number of shorter distance inter-city markets linking the northern powerhouse cities that would benefit from fares reform.
Under the current system, legacy rules treat these as ‘regional fares’ that don’t necessarily distinguish between the different uses of these services, for
example, commuting from home to work, or business journeys between city centres. A reformed system would be more capable
of reflecting diverse needs, creating fares structures that could improve access to the network across all sections of the community.

Last edited:
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

father_jack

I'd guess at something like the LNR fares now roughly are:

Super Off Peak: £65 return, valid only for arrival into London after 1300 and not for departure between 1600-1900, restriction also applies Saturday
Off Peak: £110 return, valid only for arrival into London after 1030 but no evening peak restriction
Anytime: unchanged
Super off peak returns at present though don't really work. For example, people wait to go from Bristol TM to London at 1000. 1 hr 38, soon to be quicker. They're not going to be ready though to come back at 1500. But they'll make the 1630 so end up getting an off peak return anyway. Conversely if you go up off peak at 0830 but come back before 1500, SVS up and SSS back exceed the SVR.

Starmill

Veteran Member
Fares Advisor
Because it's exactly the same structure as used on the Trent Valley services and from Liverpool (WMT Only).
So what? WMT are a budget operator, VT are not. It's like trying to say Ryanair anr British Airways should have the same pricing policy. It might freqeuntly be co-indicental, but it isn't the same and they are meeting different needs for different markets. The numbers from Liverpool to London on WMT are pretty thin too given the incredibly uncompetitive journey times. From Rugby, Nuneaton, Tamworth, Lichfield they are very competitive given the latter three usually require a change. None of this has anything to do with fares reform anyway. It's simply that WMT aim to increase volume and move some people over to more expensive tickets using this policy. That's not fares reform it's just extrating consumer surplus. The new fares are by no means somehow 'easier'. I've already explained all of this to you before.

Bletchleyite

Veteran Member
FWIW, I've read the actual document (which has already been linked upthread), and it reads to me like the proposals, ignoring actual fare levels, are thus:

1. The only flexible tickets that will exist are Anytime (Day) Singles which will be a bit cheaper than they presently are. I suspect these would have reduced flexibility in terms of TOC and route.
2. "Advance Purchase on the Day" will be available on all trains and will be the main "walk-up" fare provision.
3. All fares will be sold as singles.
4. There will be no through fares other than potentially (1) above. However, if you put in for a through journey, you'll get one piece of card (or electronic equivalent) containing a sum of one ticket for each specific train you actually are going to take.
5. There will be no break of journey other than potentially (1) above (and popping to the shops between booked trains, which is de-facto allowed now anyway other than some barrier-line muppet at Clapham Jn). However, because of (4), if you do plan to break your journey there will be no financial disadvantage to buying separate tickets for the two parts.
6. There will still be season tickets on the present model, however RDG would like regulation abolished on these (so they will go up - a lot).
7. There will also be a PAYG style means of doing something like a season ticket journey with capping at the 7-day season rate.

I think that's basically it. There are some interesting ideas there, as well as some quite major annoyances. One thing it will do is remove the high level of confusion caused by off-peak walk-up ticket restrictions, but at the expense of a big loss of flexibility. In some ways it's a bit more like Germany's system than ours.

Harpers Tate

Established Member
Leisure travellers to pay more?
Better build an (even) bigger road to (for example) Scarbrough, then.

Five go for the price of one. Travel when you want. Change your mind at the last minute if you want. Stay as long as you want.

Seat with window view guaranteed. Luggage space not in a doorway guaranteed.

anme

Established Member
Leisure travellers to pay more?
Better build an (even) bigger road to (for example) Scarbrough, then.

Five go for the price of one. Travel when you want. Change your mind at the last minute if you want. Stay as long as you want.

Seat with window view guaranteed. Luggage space not in a doorway guaranteed.

What price increase can we get away with before you switch to the car - 1%, 5%, 10%, 50%, etc?

ForTheLoveOf

Established Member
FWIW, I've read the actual document (which has already been linked upthread), and it reads to me like the proposals, ignoring actual fare levels, are thus:

1. The only flexible tickets that will exist are Anytime (Day) Singles which will be a bit cheaper than they presently are. I suspect these would have reduced flexibility in terms of TOC and route.
2. "Advance Purchase on the Day" will be available on all trains and will be the main "walk-up" fare provision.
4. There will be no through fares other than potentially (1) above. However, if you put in for a through journey, you'll get one piece of card (or electronic equivalent) containing a sum of one ticket for each specific train you actually are going to take.
5. There will be no break of journey other than potentially (1) above (and popping to the shops between booked trains, which is de-facto allowed now anyway other than some barrier-line muppet at Clapham Jn). However, because of (4), if you do plan to break your journey there will be no financial disadvantage to buying separate tickets for the two parts.
6. There will still be season tickets on the present model, however RDG would like regulation abolished on these (so they will go up - a lot).
7. There will also be a PAYG style means of doing something like a season ticket journey with capping at the 7-day season rate.

I think that's basically it. There are some interesting ideas there, as well as some quite major annoyances. One thing it will do is remove the high level of confusion caused by off-peak walk-up ticket restrictions, but at the expense of a big loss of flexibility. In some ways it's a bit more like Germany's system than ours.
Yes, except Germany still has through fares everywhere. The loss of true through fares is something I don't want to even contemplate. It will only lead to ever greater levels of fragmentation.

The thing about through fares is that the proposal to abolish them is purely down to the RDG having an obsession with eliminating split tickets. The need for them could, of course, be eliminated by simply lowering long-distance fares. But the RDG wouldn't even consider that, would they.

Randomer

The issue I take away from this is that the main goal of the RDG or more accurately the TOC that it represent is to reduce the amount of control the government has over some fares due to fare regulation. This would allow the to massively increase fares across the board in later years even with the current proposed changes being revenue neutral.

The season tickets becoming unregulated would be a huge potential increase in income for any of the south east based TOC who effectively have a captive market.

Also not all people who travel at off peak times are doing so for leisure purposes, the people who can least afford train travel do so at these times precisely because the current fares make it in many cases just about affordable. There are lots of passenger flows where a cheaper coach equivalent does not exist.

The soundbites about reducing fares are just that, meant to make people who only read the headline news or brief articles think that it is a good idea.

yorksrob

Veteran Member
That's not necessarily true. Let's take a simple example - say that alongside the £175 peak time single fare from London to Manchester, we introduce a £100 advance fare. That should attract some new passengers to the peak services, who might have previously bought cheaper off peak tickets or might even not have travelled at all. It will raise some extra revenue. And it might reduce overcrowding on the first and last off peak trains.

So why not do this? Well, it is not as simple as getting some money for otherwise empty seats. Probably some of the passengers who bought the £175 fare will switch to the £100 fare. So we will not only gain some revenue from passengers switching up from cheaper tickets. We will also lose some revenue from people switching down from more expensive tickets. Will we make more money overall? Maybe, maybe not. TOCs employ people whose job it is to predict these things.

Introducing cheaper tickets does not necessarily increase revenue. This is not very surprising when you think about it. And remember, selling 200 tickets at £175 each makes more money than selling 300 tickets at £100 each.

That's only not true if they're selling enough £175 fares to keep the show afloat. They're clearly not, otherwise they wouldn't be trying to scrap the regulation, therefore they need to get more bums on seats in the peak, not kill off leisure travel.

Bletchleyite

Veteran Member
To mention one key advantage of what they're proposing (among the many downsides) - the Routeing Guide goes completely as it would serve no purpose, and it would be possible, as it should be, to issue a through ticket from Penzance to Dover Priory via Wick, if you so happen to wish.

On another note it doesn't necessarily eliminate splitting, because while it does break down fares by "vehicle journey" like buses do (though issuing them all on one ticket), what it doesn't do is work out that while taking a through trip from London to Manchester in the same seat on the same Pendolino, you might save a few quid by purchasing two separate tickets to cover it.

From reading the document it appears very much not to propose Super Off Peaks/Business Savers/whatever all over the place. It proposes the abolition of off-peak flexible tickets entirely.

Harpers Tate

Established Member
What price increase can we get away with before you switch to the car - 1%, 5%, 10%, 50%, etc?
To avoid the need for a (n even) bigger road? Probably a negative percentage - and quite a big one at that!

Starmill

Veteran Member
Fares Advisor
A true anecdotal example - my boss recently insisted I rent a car for a day rather than pay the 178 pounds anytime return between London and Birmingham.
I am in absolutely no doubt that this sort if thing is rife, among business passengers and indeed among most other types too. The railway loses from it, the government loses from it, but far more than that, we all lose from it because of the huge negative externalities assosciated with driving, from pedestrian access to safety to crude oil sourcing to carbon emissions to air pollution to congestion affecting vehicles that have no choice but to go by road (last mile deliveries, emergency vehicles, people who can't access public transport etc etc).

Fares reform probably cannot ever address that though, as the railway simply needs more up-front funding to deal with it than is on offer at the moment.

anme

Established Member
That's only not true if they're selling enough £175 fares to keep the show afloat. They're clearly not, otherwise they wouldn't be trying to scrap the regulation, therefore they need to get more bums on seats in the peak, not kill off leisure travel.

Could you explain your logic? As I understand it, Virgin Trains could reduce the £175 single anytime fare between London and Manchester any time they wanted to put more "bums on seats" in the peak. Why don't they do so?

anme

Established Member
To avoid the need for a (n even) bigger road? Probably a negative percentage - and quite a big one at that!

OK, so we can disregard the input from such people as they won't use the train anyway.
Or campaign for more subsidy and proper road pricing!

anme

Established Member
I am in absolutely no doubt that this sort if thing is rife, among business passengers and indeed among most other types too. The railway loses from it, the government loses from it, but far more than that, we all lose from it because of the huge negative externalities assosciated with driving, from pedestrian access to safety to crude oil sourcing to carbon emissions to air pollution to congestion affecting vehicles that have no choice but to go by road (last mile deliveries, emergency vehicles, people who can't access public transport etc etc).

Fares reform probably cannot ever address that though, as the railway simply needs more up-front funding to deal with it than is on offer at the moment.

Does the railway lose from it (financially)? If they do, then Virgin's pricing managers are doing a bad job. But it is better to carry 200 passengers for 178 pounds each than 300 for 100 pounds each...

I agree with the rest of your post.

Taunton

Established Member
A true anecdotal example - my boss recently insisted I rent a car for a day rather than pay the 178 pounds anytime return between London and Birmingham.
Similar from me. Two weeks ago on 6 February I paid this to go to a Business meeting in Birmingham. Actually at that fare my car is very competitive. If I had actually been driving from New Street to Euston Road the train would be far quicker. Of course, I was not doing this, I don't live on platform 5 at Euston but my car does normally live at my house. I was going from inner suburban London to inner suburban Birmingham and the bits at the two ends actually took notably longer than the transit time of the main train. Not the case by car.

To add to all this, I had to stand all the way back from Birmingham to Euston, as you can read here, after a colleague had given me a lift from the Birmingham office to International station.
https://www.railforums.co.uk/threads/disruption-at-runcorn-06-02.177793/#post-3865536

yorksrob

Veteran Member
Could you explain your logic? As I understand it, Virgin Trains could reduce the £175 single anytime fare between London and Manchester any time they wanted to put more "bums on seats" in the peak. Why don't they do so?

My logic is that for that to work, there have to be enough people willing to stump up £175 in the first place. There obviously aren't, otherwise they wouldn't be squealing.

Starmill

Veteran Member
Fares Advisor
Or campaign for more subsidy and proper road pricing!
I used to post these ideas on this forum frequently, but I was always overwhelmed by the negative responses. I think we have to accept that particularly some older generations in the UK will simply never sign up to policies where they have to pay more for something or implement drastic lifestyle changes to the benefit of everyone else. Personally I am willing to pay more (a little bit at least) to sort out the transport mess in this country; I've posted this many times on here too. Just having me pay more for train fares, and no other wider government-level changes however, is far from an equitable way to do this, and it's unlikely I'd tolerate it. This is not really the aim of the fares reform though, because the actual changes will follow the Williams report, and they will be prioritised according to government policy. Current government policy is against tax rises and does not feature any policies to enable car use reduction. They are also against rail subsidy. Nothing can really be done about that other than to keep voting against the current party of government, which is likely in my case. This is well off topic in this thread, though.

LNW-GW Joint

Veteran Member
Yes, except Germany still has through fares everywhere. The loss of true through fares is something I don't want to even contemplate. It will only lead to ever greater levels of fragmentation.
The thing about through fares is that the proposal to abolish them is purely down to the RDG having an obsession with eliminating split tickets. The need for them could, of course, be eliminated by simply lowering long-distance fares. But the RDG wouldn't even consider that, would they.

Unless I have read it wrong, I think through fares will be calculated by summing the individual sector fares and applying some algorithm to get the appropriate range of fares.
So no matrix of point to point fares, except as the lowest level, and a set of algorithms.
It probably also means split ticketing becomes pointless, and gets us somewhere close to a distance-based set of fares (but I'm sure the algorithms will deliver anomalies).
Gets you set up for pay-as-you go too.
Does away with routeing guides as well.
I imagine this is something like the Dutch system.

Starmill

Veteran Member
Fares Advisor
Does the railway lose from it (financially)? If they do, then Virgin's pricing managers are doing a bad job. But it is better to carry 200 passengers for 178 pounds each than 300 for 100 pounds each...

I agree with the rest of your post.
Maybe not in those terms, although your implied assertion that they have perfect or even good information does not seem to me to have much basis. They make changes over time which seem to me to run to more than just recationary to events, for example TransPennine Express recently increased the price of a day return between Manchester and Sheffield by about 11% overnight. I will not believe that one month the market changed so much that that doing that kept their yeild management up to date. Same goes for creating a whole load of TransPennine Express Only walk-up tickets, or restricting Advance ticket sales on some trains. I think they have done some research since the franchise change which revealed big inefficiencies in their operation, principally they thought that many fares were well under-priced. They have responded accordingly, within their operating constraints. Their marketing has also done much more to attract car drivers - especailly in summer. So they probably were losing out before and they have changed tack over the last two years. I doubt they have suceeded all that much given how poor their delivery has actually been, but that is a totally separate question. It's just an illustrative example of how things so often seem to be the way they are because that's the way they were, not because there's actually a strong case now for them to be that way.

I think they do lose in reputation or 'goodwill' and market share, which are different to short run profit maximisation which often fails to consider the long-term impacts of these points in many industries. The railway is, I am sure, no different.

etr221

Having looked at the document, my instant comment is that while it makes proposals as to the features that the new system should have, it doesn't actually set out any proposal for what that system will or might look like, let alone how it will work. Bletchleyite's summary may or may not be accurate, but is more concise than the consultation document - which has a lot of lines to read between.

There are two particular underlying principles that underlie any fare system (for Britain as a whole) that don't seem to be addressed:
(1) is (or to what extent is) the railway system an integrated whole, or one formed of individual train services?
(2) should the fare system look more a 'tramway' one, where everyone pays more or less the same, based perhaps just on distance and (to a crude system) and time of day, or an 'airline' system, where everyone is likely to pay something different, based on train taken and time of booking?

Last edited:

Bletchleyite

Veteran Member
Similar from me. Two weeks ago on 6 February I paid this to go to a Business meeting in Birmingham. Actually at that fare my car is very competitive. If I had actually been driving from New Street to Euston Road the train would be far quicker. Of course, I was not doing this, I don't live on platform 5 at Euston but my car does normally live at my house. I was going from inner suburban London to inner suburban Birmingham and the bits at the two ends actually took notably longer than the transit time of the main train. Not the case by car.

To add to all this, I had to stand all the way back from Birmingham to Euston, as you can read here, after a colleague had given me a lift from the Birmingham office to International station.
https://www.railforums.co.uk/threads/disruption-at-runcorn-06-02.177793/#post-3865536

FWIW I was needing to do some peak journeys from MK to Brum a few months ago, and went LNR Only because I would be embarrassed about the profligacy of claiming the outrageous Any Permitted Anytime fare, which is roughly twice that from MK to Euston despite being a similar distance (because the Anytime Day Return to Euston is regulated).

Bletchleyite

Veteran Member
There are two particular underlying principles that underlie any fare system (for Britain as a whole) that don't seem to be addressed:
(1) is (or to what extent is) the railway system an integrated whole, or one formed of individual train services?
(2) should the fare system look more a 'tramway' one, where everyone pays more less the same, based perhaps just on distance and (to a crude system) and time of day, or an 'airline' system, where everyone is likely to pay something different, based on train taken and time of booking?

I very much had the impression that, except for Anytime (Day) Singles, it would be the latter. As someone else upthread said, that would absolve them of all the work of actually setting fares, because the computer would do it based on a formula.

That doesn't necessarily mean that buying just before travel would be particularly expensive - if the flight is quiet, easyJet fares even 2 hours before departure can be quite reasonable (the days of everything being £299 on the day of departure have long gone, even on Ryanair). But I would be surprised if the fares on a Friday evening and Sunday afternoon on VTWC were not reaching top whack. Which for me would mean a lot more driving for weekends away.

telstarbox

Established Member
How many of those business users using the full fat anytime return fare for London - Manchester are paying for it out of their own pocket, rather than claiming it back on business expenses (or it having been purchased for them)?

Most businesses will have a "that's too much" limit at some price point, even if that's higher than a non-business passenger - for some Open Return fares it would be cheaper to hire a car for a couple of days;

Same applies to clients if you're adding he travel cost to their bills;

Also for some companies, if they're paying themselves a dividend rather than a salary, there isn't really a distinction between personal and "company" money.

anme

Established Member
My logic is that for that to work, there have to be enough people willing to stump up £175 in the first place. There obviously aren't, otherwise they wouldn't be squealing.

So why don't they reduce the price? Or what else should they do?

Bletchleyite

Veteran Member
Most businesses will have a "that's too much" limit at some price point, even if that's higher than a non-business passenger

It often isn't. My employer has a policy for long-distance journeys of the cheapest fare i.e. you have to use Advances if they exist and the times vaguely suit (fortunately none presently offered from Bletchley to London so I don't lose my flexibility that way). This is AIUI a very common policy. Whereas as a private individual I mostly travel walk-up, almost never on Advances.

I would not however buy a Virgin Trains unregulated Anytime fare for either purpose, they are utterly outrageous. I would stay overnight to avoid it.

ForTheLoveOf

Established Member
Because it's not practicable, with the current setup, to change the price of the Anytime Single several times a week, in the same way that Advance fares can be changed in price.

anme

Established Member
Maybe not in those terms, although your implied assertion that they have perfect or even good information does not seem to me to have much basis.

The only assertion I would make is that they probably have better information than the people on this forum - myself included. Also, let's be honest, almost all posters here have vested interests, and many of the arguments are not very objective.

They make changes over time which seem to me to run to more than just recationary to events, for example TransPennine Express recently increased the price of a day return between Manchester and Sheffield by about 11% overnight. I will not believe that one month the market changed so much that that doing that kept their yeild management up to date. Same goes for creating a whole load of TransPennine Express Only walk-up tickets, or restricting Advance ticket sales on some trains. I think they have done some research since the franchise change which revealed big inefficiencies in their operation, principally they thought that many fares were well under-priced. They have responded accordingly, within their operating constraints. Their marketing has also done much more to attract car drivers - especailly in summer. So they probably were losing out before and they have changed tack over the last two years. I doubt they have suceeded all that much given how poor their delivery has actually been, but that is a totally separate question. It's just an illustrative example of how things so often seem to be the way they are because that's the way they were, not because there's actually a strong case now for them to be that way.

We should appreciate that yield management is difficult. I'm not sure what other conclusions I can draw from your paragraph.

I think they do lose in reputation or 'goodwill' and market share, which are different to short run profit maximisation which often fails to consider the long-term impacts of these points in many industries. The railway is, I am sure, no different.

For me, all these arguments criticising train operating companies for maximising short term profits are aimed at the wrong target. Of course franchised operators maximise short term profit. To be more precise, they maximise profit over the term of the franchise, which I believe is usually seven years. Long term thinking is thus actively discouraged.

If we don't like this, we need to change the system. Complaining that TOC revenue management is bad is like moaning about the scratch marks on the Titanic.

Last edited:

yorkie

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Administrator
Super off peak returns at present though don't really work. For example, people wait to go from Bristol TM to London at 1000. 1 hr 38, soon to be quicker. They're not going to be ready though to come back at 1500. But they'll make the 1630 so end up getting an off peak return anyway. Conversely if you go up off peak at 0830 but come back before 1500, SVS up and SSS back exceed the SVR.
To be fair, genuine single leg pricing would solve these issues. Unfortunately the proposals appear to preclude halving the cheapest return fare for each flow. So, while I am positive about the general principle of single leg pricing, I refuse to accept it done in the manner suggested.
Yes. It's unclear what would happen, but if through fares for longer distance journeys are abolished, with only shorter distance fares priced, this would potentially make journeys that do not go city centre to city centre unattractive by rail. Problem is, we do not know how they are going to do this, but there is no way to achieve what they want to achieve without increasing the price people like us pay, which I refuse to accept.
Yes, they do seem to be obsessed with eliminating split tickets, as I posted recently. However some individual train companies are more than happy to recommend split tickets to passengers who enquire about making journeys involving more than one operator where only one operator is open for Advance bookings. Funny that, isn't it? I am sure RDG will blame it on the DfT being anti split ticketing too. But if the DfT are against it, that'll only be because TOCs like XC will probably be (unfairly and incorrectly) blaming split ticketing for not meeting their revenue targets.
The issue I take away from this is that the main goal of the RDG or more accurately the TOC that it represent is to reduce the amount of control the government has over some fares due to fare regulation..
Indeed. For the train companies, it's about 'taking back control'. Each company wants to be in control of the prices on its trains and they do not want to be constrained within the regulated fares; they want to go higher than that. Equally they do not want good value fares, priced by other companies, to be undercutting their fares.
The soundbites about reducing fares are just that, meant to make people who only read the headline news or brief articles think that it is a good idea.
Absolutely. It fools some people but it doesn't fool us.
To mention one key advantage of what they're proposing (among the many downsides) - the Routeing Guide goes completely as it would serve no purpose, and it would be possible, as it should be, to issue a through ticket from Penzance to Dover Priory via Wick, if you so happen to wish.
You will always need rules for routeing. If RDG wishes to create a new Routeing Guide, it will either be unworkable, no less simple, or massively reduce our rights. The idea that it can just be abolished is absurd.
On another note it doesn't necessarily eliminate splitting, because while it does break down fares by "vehicle journey" like buses do (though issuing them all on one ticket), what it doesn't do is work out that while taking a through trip from London to Manchester in the same seat on the same Pendolino, you might save a few quid by purchasing two separate tickets to cover it.

From reading the document it appears very much not to propose Super Off Peaks/Business Savers/whatever all over the place. It proposes the abolition of off-peak flexible tickets entirely.
I think some train companies would like the idea that there are no affordable flexible fares, and that everyone will need to get their phone out immediately prior to departure, try to work out which train they have enough time to catch, then purchase a ticket valid on that train only. And if you underestimate the time to purchase the ticket and get to the platform and just miss it, you have to buy another one. I do not think this is a good idea.
Having looked at the document, my instant comment is that while it makes proposals as to the features that the new system should have, it doesn't actually set out any proposal for what that system will or might look like, let alone how it will work. Bletchleyite's summary may or may not be accurate, but is more concise than the consultation document - which has a lot of lines to read between.
No decisions have been made yet; these are just suggestions that the train companies want. It's completely unworkable to get all of that stuff in a new structure and for that structure to be politically acceptable.
(2) should the fare system look more a 'tramway' one, where everyone pays more or less the same, based perhaps just on distance and (to a crude system) and time of day, or an 'airline' system, where everyone is likely to pay something different, based on train taken and time of booking?
The train companies want to portray the idea that everyone will be paying the same price and that the price will be affordable. But clearly that is not going to happen. They want to encourage people onto train specific tickets, so putting up the cost of walk up travel at off peak times is a big part of their plans.
The price is set at a level that the company feels gets them the most revenue, but if this particular issue is to be explored in detail it is best discussed in a new thread.
The only assertion I would make is that they probably have better information than the people on this forum..
Given that many of the top experts at RDG are on this forum, I am not sure how that can make sense!
- myself included. Also, let's be honest, almost all posters here have vested interests, and many of the arguments are not very objective.
I am not just posting from the point of view of my own interests but from the point of view of someone who works with fares and understands what products people buy, what journeys people make, what difficulties people encounter and what their priorities are.
We should appreciate that yield management is difficult.
True, and the train companies realise it would be easier for them if they were unconstrained by the existing fares regulation which limits how high certain fares can go.
For me, all these arguments criticising train operating companies for maximising short term profits are aimed at the wrong target. Of course franchised operators maximise short term profit. To be more precise, they maximise profit over the term of the franchise, which I believe is usually seven years. Long term thinking is thus actively discouraged.

If we don't like this, we need to change the system. Complaining that TOC revenue management is bad is like moaning about the scratch marks on the Titanic.
I do not think we should change the system unless there are certain guarantees in place that ensure good value fares continue to exist.

No such guarantees are forthcoming, and worse than that, it's effectively guaranteed that the best value fares would not continue to exist under the proposals.

The solution is not to increase good value fares! If that's their only solution, then we are better off sticking with the current system.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.