• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

RAIL or Modern Railways

Status
Not open for further replies.

PreciousPasta

Hi all, I have a quick question. I've been offered a subscription to a Railway publication of my choice as a Christmas present, and I was wondering whether to go for RAIL Magazine or Modern Railways. Which one is the most interesting/ comprehensive? I've read and enjoyed Modern Railways in the past but RAIL seems to be the one that is always linked to on here.
Thanks for any advice you can offer.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Failed Unit

Established Member
Depends what you are looking for. modern railways seems better imho for technical content. Rail seems more upto date and better for speculation.

Busaholic

Veteran Member
Rail comes out every fortnight, Modern Railways monthly, so Rail will appear to be more up-to-date a lot of the time. Given there's not much price difference per issue, I would say the increased content of the monthly publication offers better value, and is not as 'speculative' as the fortnightly. The letters are also better in MR imo!

Cowley

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Global Moderator
As said it really does depend on what you’re interested in.
I think if I had the choice I’d probably go for the Railway Magazine but that’s probably because I’m a bit more into the history stuff and not so fussed about politics etc.

PreciousPasta

Thanks for all the advice, it's much appreciated. I've decided to go for Modern Railways as, since I already get pretty good up to date news from these forums, the more in-depth content that it offers is more attractive.
Thanks again.

snowball

Established Member
I would support your choice of Modern Railways, which is far better at analysing the reasons behind the news (though Roger Ford will presumably have to retire some time, or will eventually drop dead). I've had a subscription to it for many years. In the last few years I've also bought most issues of Rail, but it often gets facts wrong.

Tubeboy

Another vote for Modern Railways. I’ve read it for years and have just resubscribed for another two years. Excellent articles and expert analysis.

I stopped buying Rail about 15 years ago. Was great when Murray Brown edited it.

Kite159

Veteran Member
If it was a choice between only those two then I would say Modern Railways, excellent articles, although it gets technical at times [but that is what is it aimed for]

Although my favourite railway related magazine is probably Today's Railways, again as it does excellent articles, although not such in-depth analysis as MR.

Status
Not open for further replies.