• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Rail Platform Object

Status
Not open for further replies.

luke_oliver

I have wondered for years what this is. Maybe someone can enlighten me? It appears on most rail platforms above the ballast level. Thanks!

Attachments

• Rail.JPG
    Rail.JPG
    9.3 KB · Views: 184
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

asylumxl

Established Member
Datum plates.

They indicate the track geometry and the colour indicates whether it can be changed.

This has been asked quite a few times, but I guess if you don't know what to search for it's not easy to search for.

luke_oliver

Thanks for satisfying my curiosity. I thought that it would have been asked before; but as you said, how do i search for 'platform side thingy' and get a result! lol.

Thanks again!

Railsigns

Established Member
Googling "platform side thingy" yielded quite a few relevant results when I tried it a moment ago.

ainsworth74

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Global Moderator
We really should get a sticky 'perfect answer' for this one, title it something like "For those looking for what a 'platform side thingy' is, check this thread" ;)

ole man

I could go there now and the ones that you did would be wrong, different companies have different ways of measuring them, though they should all be done the same way.
Some use tape some use laser gauges and some believe it or not measure it from the wrong edge of the rail

Ploughman

Established Member
I could go there now and the ones that you did would be wrong, different companies have different ways of measuring them, though they should all be done the same way.
Some use tape some use laser gauges and some believe it or not measure it from the wrong edge of the rail

As I said "They were once".
As the figure I measured was the one that was put on the datum sheet.
However after years of maintenance tamping by smooth lining before use of ALC etc I know that they will be well off the stated figure.

The guy on the other end of the tape was from OHL a Bob Barr don't know if you remember the name or not.

DarloRich

Veteran Member
If i see this question again i will flip!

Please can we have a sticky saying this is a secret railway thing that railway chaps know about but is of no concern to you. Move along. Nothing to see here, move along!

sbt

If i see this question again i will flip!

Please can we have a sticky saying this is a secret railway thing that railway chaps know about but is of no concern to you. Move along. Nothing to see here, move along!

Or perhaps a FAQ (Frequenty Asked Questions) section/sticky post/webpage/summatelse?

I have no idea why these have gone out of fashion, when I frequented Usenet every popular group had one, some running to huge lengths.

Status
Not open for further replies.