• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

rail regrets

Status
Not open for further replies.

Techniquest

Veteran Member
I think you come to a point where you realise there's better things to be doing. Which is me at this time, but let's not go into details...<D

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

D6975

Established Member
I bet every haulage basher says the same. But the big question is when (or at what age) do you wish you started ?

In my case if I'd started when I was about 8 (about the time I started spotting) I'd probably have about a dozen class 40s and peaks, and probably quite a few 81s to 85s in my haulage book. But at the time I didn't have any concept of bashing, although by my early teens I would put a 'H' next to any loco I had for haulage in my 'Platform 5' books.

I used to do a similar thing - a dot next to the loco indicated that I'd had it for haulage.
Some locos I can work out a minimum possible mileage because although I can't remember the occasion, I do know what moves I would have made for spotting purposes - hence a class 40 has to be 25 1/2 minimum (Man Vic-Huddersfield or Leeds-York). Annoying though that some of them were York-Newcastle, but I don't know which ones. At least I knew that the one Haymarket 40 I had was Carstairs-Waverley.

Class 27/1 and 27/2 the same applies, absolute min journey of Haymarket-Q St, but some would have had the extra bit to Waverley too.

Peaks - no such luck, had so many 45s and 46s for haulage there's no way of knowing if it was TM to Newport, TM to York or Leeds to Edinburgh.

There does of course come a point in a young man's life when a choice has to be made between investigating the contents of dirty diesel depots or investigating the contents of young ladies' underwear.
Lots more regrets in that department I dare say...

Last edited:

Established Member
I used to do a similar thing - a dot next to the loco indicated that I'd had it for haulage.
Some locos I can work out a minimum possible mileage because although I can't remember the occasion, I do know what moves I would have made for spotting purposes - hence a class 40 has to be 25 1/2 minimum (Man Vic-Huddersfield or Leeds-York). Annoying though that some of them were York-Newcastle, but I don't know which ones. At least I knew that the one Haymarket 40 I had was Carstairs-Waverley.

Class 27/1 and 27/2 the same applies, absolute min journey of Haymarket-Q St, but some would have had the extra bit to Waverley too.

Peaks - no such luck, had so many 45s and 46s for haulage there's no way of knowing if it was TM to Newport, TM to York or Leeds to Edinburgh.

There does of course come a point in a young man's life when a choice has to be made between investigating the contents of dirty diesel depots or investigating the contents of young ladies' underwear.

Causes a damn sight more bloody heartache and expense too:D:D:D:D:D:D

321Clss93

I wish I would've had a camcorder when the DLR P86/89s were still around; there's hardly any internal footage of them available on YouTube & co. I never appreciated them enough at the time, but ever since 1996 or whenever the very last of them headed off to Essen, I've yearned for time travel to be a reality. :p

fowler9

Established Member

Yeah, I kind of saw the death of loco hauled trains in to Lime Street and then the interest in music, football and ladies took over. Sprinterisation as some referred to it then kind of killed it for me. I still love the railways and will always be interested in them unless travelling by plane makes more sense or by coach is cheaper. (Actually if travelling by plane makes more sense at least part of that decision is almost always because it is cheaper).

neilmc

I went from bunking steam sheds to bunking diesel depots to bunking young ladies' underwear in a period of less than ten years. On balance I'd say the diesel depots came out quite creditably in the cleanliness stakes.

Darren R

Established Member
I went from bunking steam sheds to bunking diesel depots to bunking young ladies' underwear in a period of less than ten years. On balance I'd say the diesel depots came out quite creditably in the cleanliness stakes.

That's not very flattering to the young ladies! :lol:

DiscoStu

Nothing worse than an oily, diesel smeared gusset :lol:

45rpm

My regret is not using London Broad Street before closure. I went to the station & there had been a signalling failure & as I was en route back to York I didn`t have time to hang around waiting to see if services would resume.

Whistler40145

Established Member
Two regrets are that I never travelled through the Woodhead Tunnels & the line through Latchford to Skelton Junction.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

hassaanhc

Established Member
I wish I had at least one journey on the slam door stock in the southern area, just to see what they are like. I was barely 10 back in 2005 and we never had any reason to use the trains out of Waterloo etc so yeah I have never been on one. Mind you I didn't even know what they were until a few months ago :P
Another is one final ride on '67 Tube Stock and A Stock just before they were all withdrawn.

As for young ladies :D, I'm 19 now and I've not been lucky yet in that department :( there are various reasons for that.

Techniquest

Veteran Member
As for young ladies :D, I'm 19 now and I've not been lucky yet in that department :( there are various reasons for that.

Well to be fair nor have I, for more reasons than I care to count, and I'm significantly older than you. So there's still hope for you yet :)

fowler9

Established Member
I wish I had at least one journey on the slam door stock in the southern area, just to see what they are like. I was barely 10 back in 2005 and we never had any reason to use the trains out of Waterloo etc so yeah I have never been on one. Mind you I didn't even know what they were until a few months ago :P
Another is one final ride on '67 Tube Stock and A Stock just before they were all withdrawn.

I never had a proper girlfriend till I was 19, and when I did she was well worth the wait. Only lasted 9 months but then I moved on afterwards. Just carry on being yourself. The girls will like it more and more importantly you will like yourself more for doing so and oddly enough that will make more of the ladies like you.

RichmondCommu

Established Member

LOL! Are you any good at racket sports? That tends to be a good way of meeting members of the opposite sex. Or maybe join a running club? You need to have positive thoughts about yourself as that will certainly help. My 20 year old son is the opposite as he appears to have slept with half the girls at Nottingham Uni :roll:

Don't worry, there is someone for everyone and if you meet the right girl for you it doesn't matter what anyone else thinks. Have you actually tried asking anyone out on a date? What do you have to lose?

Last edited:

Techniquest

Veteran Member
Have you actually tried asking anyone out on a date? What do you have to lose?

Believe it or not, not everyone has the confidence to do that easily. I know full well I struggled with that concept for a long time. "What do you have to lose?", heck that was a big question with a long answer for me until not too long ago. It takes a lot of self-confidence to ask someone out, and then a helluva lot on top of that to take on rejection afterwards.

I still struggle with the whole relationship situation, it's not exactly easy to get confident enough to do that. So the member you replied to (sorry I didn't catch the name!) could well be in the same situation as I used to be. To said member, I would say this:

It took me until I was 29 (literally, by less than an hour!) to gain the confidence, and even then only after I had consumed some serious amounts of alcohol, to even try and chat up a woman. I've since learned to chat up women when I'm sober (or at least pretty much so!), but it took some serious effort to do so. Granted, she turned out to be a headcase, but at least I've learnt things from it. I'm now kinda in a relationship, although that's made complicated by shift patterns we're both on and days off don't match up much, but it can happen. In summary, what I'm saying is this:

Just keeping trying, but also be yourself. For me, it helped I had a ginormous personality change, a huge development as a person, but it WILL happen eventually. I know only too well how difficult this sort of thing can be, trust me. Just keep at it, one day you'll look back and think "What on Earth was I so worried about" or similar!

fowler9

Established Member
Believe it or not, not everyone has the confidence to do that easily. I know full well I struggled with that concept for a long time. "What do you have to lose?", heck that was a big question with a long answer for me until not too long ago. It takes a lot of self-confidence to ask someone out, and then a helluva lot on top of that to take on rejection afterwards.

I still struggle with the whole relationship situation, it's not exactly easy to get confident enough to do that. So the member you replied to (sorry I didn't catch the name!) could well be in the same situation as I used to be. To said member, I would say this:

It took me until I was 29 (literally, by less than an hour!) to gain the confidence, and even then only after I had consumed some serious amounts of alcohol, to even try and chat up a woman. I've since learned to chat up women when I'm sober (or at least pretty much so!), but it took some serious effort to do so. Granted, she turned out to be a headcase, but at least I've learnt things from it. I'm now kinda in a relationship, although that's made complicated by shift patterns we're both on and days off don't match up much, but it can happen. In summary, what I'm saying is this:

Just keeping trying, but also be yourself. For me, it helped I had a ginormous personality change, a huge development as a person, but it WILL happen eventually. I know only too well how difficult this sort of thing can be, trust me. Just keep at it, one day you'll look back and think "What on Earth was I so worried about" or similar!

Yeah spot on chief. It is a big leap to ask someone out, especially early on in your life when your confidence may not be at its highest. Its all just part of lifes rich tapestry and we are always learning how to interact with other people.God knows I'm still learning and I'm 40 this year.

Techniquest

Veteran Member
That alone makes me happier, to hear that I'm still learning at 29 and others are older than me and still learning too. It's always going to be a learning curve for all of us, shame it's not as simple to please women as it is for them to please us! They do say the fastest way to a man's heart is through his stomach, definitely applies to me, a good meal always makes me happy! :D

fowler9

Established Member
That alone makes me happier, to hear that I'm still learning at 29 and others are older than me and still learning too. It's always going to be a learning curve for all of us, shame it's not as simple to please women as it is for them to please us! They do say the fastest way to a man's heart is through his stomach, definitely applies to me, a good meal always makes me happy! :D

Mate look at it this way. I went travelling with my ex and when we got home we split up, this was March 2012. A month after we split up she had a fling, ended up pregnant and now has a 1 year old kid. I am still her friend and will do anything to make sure she is alright but thats her travelling days over. Every day we are learning.

Techniquest

Veteran Member
Fair dos, that's different to my experiences with women. Does it sometimes feel like you're the only one having women problems though? I certainly feel that way sometimes, not so much lately thankfully after discussions with other colleagues at work who are in relationships.

fowler9

Established Member
Fair dos, that's different to my experiences with women. Does it sometimes feel like you're the only one having women problems though? I certainly feel that way sometimes, not so much lately thankfully after discussions with other colleagues at work who are in relationships.

Yeah mate of course. I fairly recently split up with a girl I'd been seeing for 5 years. It was very sad but at the same time we are still mates. At the same time another mate had his wife leave him and took their 2 kids with her and it is a massive mess. I kind of feel lucky.

RichmondCommu

Established Member

I hope that I don't come across as being condescending but I'm really pleased that you've started going out with someone. Good for you! The love of a good woman is the most amazing feeling in the world. However there is no need to give up your love of railways, you just need to find a balance that’s all. There will come a time when that bashing trip has to be postponed because your lass is after a new pair of shoes!

Can I just say something else? I've always enjoyed reading your travel reports, especially those overseas. Now if you've got the courage to take yourself off to the Netherlands etc by yourself, asking a girl out for a drink can't be half as bad!

Techniquest

Veteran Member
It is an amazing feeling when you're out with a woman I must agree. Nerve racking the first couple of times but afterwards it's brilliant.

I gave up railways 2 calendar months ago today (2nd December 2013 was my last bash), purely because it wasn't making me happy for more than a few minutes any more, so I changed some things and I'm currently very happy with how things are :D That said, when I can't get to go see her (unfortunately, I can't see her even half as often as I'd like due to shift times, days off not working out brilliantly, family, location and other factors), and I have days off from work with nothing to do, I am bored and got nothing to do these days apart from be bored at home and occasionally get on the PS3.

It feels like forever since I wrote a trip report, I must say. Can't say I particularly enjoyed typing them out, I think this was made more than obvious in some of them :lol: As for asking a girl out against going on a multi-day trip on the continent, I'd definitely say planning, booking and going on the trip is a lot easier! However, it is also as they say, practice makes perfect. Once you get a bit older you realise that rejection is always an option and that you simply can't let it rule your entire existance, like I did for years.

Anyway, I'd add more to this but I'm shattered. However, I will finish this by saying that I'm glad you enjoyed the trip reports RichmondCommu, who knows maybe one day I'll have another one posted!

fowler9

Established Member
It is an amazing feeling when you're out with a woman I must agree. Nerve racking the first couple of times but afterwards it's brilliant.

I gave up railways 2 calendar months ago today (2nd December 2013 was my last bash), purely because it wasn't making me happy for more than a few minutes any more, so I changed some things and I'm currently very happy with how things are :D That said, when I can't get to go see her (unfortunately, I can't see her even half as often as I'd like due to shift times, days off not working out brilliantly, family, location and other factors), and I have days off from work with nothing to do, I am bored and got nothing to do these days apart from be bored at home and occasionally get on the PS3.

It feels like forever since I wrote a trip report, I must say. Can't say I particularly enjoyed typing them out, I think this was made more than obvious in some of them :lol: As for asking a girl out against going on a multi-day trip on the continent, I'd definitely say planning, booking and going on the trip is a lot easier! However, it is also as they say, practice makes perfect. Once you get a bit older you realise that rejection is always an option and that you simply can't let it rule your entire existance, like I did for years.

Anyway, I'd add more to this but I'm shattered. However, I will finish this by saying that I'm glad you enjoyed the trip reports RichmondCommu, who knows maybe one day I'll have another one posted!

Yeah, handling rejection is a tough one but I've got better to the point that it doesn't bother me any more. I just give my head a wobble and remember the fact that I've actually been asked out by girls nicer than some of the ones who knocked me back. And I am still friends with a lot of the ones who knocked me back.

Another vote for your trip reports by the way, always enjoyed the ones I've read.

Status
Not open for further replies.