• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Rail Replacement bus service help

Status
Not open for further replies.

Aaron1

Hi,
I'm travelling from Cambridge to Manchester Saturday 18 September and will be returning on same day.

I have noticed there is a rail Replacement bus service operating both ways between Ely and Peterborough.

I have never used a rail Replacement bus service before but it's obvious timings will be inconsistent so I don't dare purchase advance tickets via a split ticketing website as I may miss my connecting train because of any delays caused by the buses, so I'm having to get off peak return at £62 which is a hell of a lot more expensive but anyway that's beside the point.

When will the bus times normally be showing on the national rail journey planner and does anybody know where abouts the buses normally stop at Ely and Peterborough stations please?

If I could find an alternative route for cheaper avoiding rail Replacement I would but I can't so I'll have to use it.

Just don't want to make a mistake and end up getting on wrong bus or missing the replacement bus!

Thanks
Aaron

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

HughT

You might want to consider a service bus to Huntingdon (or even St Neots) and then start your rail journey there (a Thameslink hop to PBO). It might take a little longer, but removes the uncertainty. (I'm a Cambridge resident, and rarely start journeys to the north or Scotland from CBG itself.)

Are trains via Stevenage available? Thence to Peterboro, changing for Manchester? Probably a higher price.

flitwickbeds

Ask the operator for a replacement bus timetable, or look on journey planners. If the bus causes you to miss the train and you book the whole journey as one itinerary, you will be entitled to Delay Repay.

Whether a refund on the ticket if you're late is acceptable to you given you're out and back on the same day, and I don't know how important the event in Manchester is to you, is obviously a matter for you alone!

Aaron1

Thanks for the suggestions.

Having briefly looked into the bus to Huntingdon, I like the look of that, it cuts off the Engineering works between Peterborough and Ely! I haven't yet looked at the St Neots option but I will do tomorrow.

I'm also toying with the idea of train to Kings Cross then walk to to London Euston then direct to Manchester Piccadilly.

I've got options now which hopefully avoid bus replacements.

Thanks!

Watershed

Veteran Member
Associate Staff
Senior Fares Advisor
I don't dare purchase advance tickets via a split ticketing website as I may miss my connecting train because of any delays caused by the buses
If the bus is late/cancelled you might miss your connection. But you'd be entitled to catch the next train - as well as to get delay compensation if sufficiently delayed - provided your tickets join up and you allow the minimum interchange time at any station where you change.

Split ticketing sites will work this all out for you, and with the obvious exception of having to travel via your split points, your rights will be no different to someone with the equivalent non-split ticket.

If the bus causes you to miss the train and you book the whole journey as one itinerary, you will be entitled to Delay Repay.
You don't need to book it as one itinerary or even all through the same retailer to benefit from these rights. Though it does make it a bit easier to put together the evidence for any claim.

Veteran Member
Despite the NRE warning triangle, the detailed information in the journey planner refers to Sunday 19 Sept only, and the bus times are published for that day but none for the Saturday.
I would imagine your outward journey at the least would not be affected.

Aaron1

If the bus is late/cancelled you might miss your connection. But you'd be entitled to catch the next train - as well as to get delay compensation if sufficiently delayed - provided your tickets join up and you allow the minimum interchange time at any station where you change.

Split ticketing sites will work this all out for you, and with the obvious exception of having to travel via your split points, your rights will be no different to someone with the equivalent non-split ticket.

You don't need to book it as one itinerary or even all through the same retailer to benefit from these rights. Though it does make it a bit easier to put together the evidence for any claim.
I thought that I would be entitled to catch the next available train if delayed due to bus replacement but I messaged the national rail enquiries twitter account to double check

they basically replied saying if I booked advance tickets knowing that planned engineering works may delay my journey then that entitlement won't be valid as I already knew about the engineering works when booking advance tickets, they said the entitlement to catch the next available train only applies if I booked advance tickets before Engineering works were announced.

tspaul26

Established Member
they basically replied saying if I booked advance tickets knowing that planned engineering works may delay my journey then that entitlement won't be valid as I already knew about the engineering works when booking advance tickets, they said the entitlement to catch the next available train only applies if I booked advance tickets before Engineering works were announced.
This is not particularly helpful, but is typical of National Rail Enquiries. They are answering a different question i.e. if you book an Advance ticket, but the timetable changes after you book, then you may catch a different train if your booked train has been removed from the timetable.

The key point for your journey is that if your tickets and itinerary (including the replacement bus) join up and you allow for the minimum interchange time at those stations where you change from train to bus and vice versa then - if the replacement bus is delayed and you miss your connecting train - you may travel on the next available train.

Snow1964

Established Member
I thought that I would be entitled to catch the next available train if delayed due to bus replacement but I messaged the national rail enquiries twitter account to double check

The answer is poor, if your train or bus is delayed is a different question, to if the timetable is changed after booking.

In many cases the replacement buses don’t run to exact timetables, especially when a bus is full it is often dispatched even if early with a second bus waiting time.

kieron

Established Member
Despite the NRE warning triangle, the detailed information in the journey planner refers to Sunday 19 Sept only, and the bus times are published for that day but none for the Saturday.
Some bus times are published for the Sunday. EMR are still apparently running as normal then.

In this situation, I'd want to find out whether engineering works are actually planned for that Saturday. Perhaps ask Network Rai? When there are two different things on nre.co.uk, I'd be wary of trusting either of them.

Horizon22

Established Member
Associate Staff
Jobs & Careers
The answer is poor, if your train or bus is delayed is a different question, to if the timetable is changed after booking.

In many cases the replacement buses don’t run to exact timetables, especially when a bus is full it is often dispatched even if early with a second bus waiting time.

All planned engineering works bus will run to a planned timetable - however of course they may be delayed by traffic or whatever which cannot always be factored in!

Veteran Member
Some bus times are published for the Sunday. EMR are still apparently running as normal then.

In this situation, I'd want to find out whether engineering works are actually planned for that Saturday. Perhaps ask Network Rai? When there are two different things on nre.co.uk, I'd be wary of trusting either of them.
The train times haven't been deleted, because the amendments are not yet finalised - ignore them! - but the Sunday bus times Ely-Peterborough should be reliable enough.

Status
Not open for further replies.